Batteries and cold weather (brrrr)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's best not to use full throttle at vey low speed Gaynor, as that does strain the motor and produce extra noise. Perhaps that's the noise he noticed.

Pedal when moving off to assist while gently opening the throttle, don't just slam open the throttle fully open from standstill and expect the bike motor to do the lot. Then fully open it as it comes up to full speed. The bike should be quiet at 12 mph or more.

Performance is best with the battery fully charged and at about room temperature. Luckily we don't get too many long cold winters now so it might be milder in a few days.

There's no other key or switch, but using pedelec mode to pull away does avoid acceleration motor noise, then it can be switched to throttle only when up to speed.

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
You have me puzzled there Baboonking. Since that doesn't equate with published data on any battery, I checked the paper you've given the link to and it's graphs show peak voltage from 30 degrees C upwards, declining below that, exactly as I would expect. It also quotes capacity loss at lower temperatures, again as expected. Likewise it has 15 degrees C in a chart as the lower limit for charging.

**bump** I missed this one. Yeah, your right Flecc, looks like I misread the data on the paper.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can't blame you Baboonking, those sort of papers are so nightmarish to read with the excess of old info repeated that I don't usually bother and just rely on my own knowledge of the item.

It was only the conflict between the two that aroused my interest there.