Help! Battery and charger compatibility

Slightlypedantic

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2022
East Sussex
Hello,

The supplier says that the 42V charger supplied with my 36V conversion kit is correct, because the fully charged voltage would actually be about 42V. Is this normal, or should I expect a 36V charger?

I would be really glad to hear from anyone who understands the electrical side.

Thanks in advance.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, a nominal 36v battery actually varies from around 42v full to around 30v empty, so 42v charger is correct.

Some semi-digested second hand tips ...
Apparently charging to a bit lower than 42v will let the battery last longer and won't lose much capacity.
BUT some say you need a full charge at least sometimes to keep it balanced.
Try not to keep it at its fully charged 42v for too long
If it's to be unused for a few weeks or more try to get it down to 60% charge.
Don't let it get completely flat (30v), if it does charge it back up again asap.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
42v charger is needed for a 36v battery, 36v is only approx. 45% charged.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the world of e-biking and your learning experience starts here and I'd recommend you learn as much as you can about understanding how e-bikes work. The more you get to understand the more you'll avoid potential problems and getting told a lot of bullsh1t from (some) suppliers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello,

The supplier says that the 42V charger supplied with my 36V conversion kit is correct, because the fully charged voltage would actually be about 42V. Is this normal, or should I expect a 36V charger?

Thanks in advance.
Tell us which bike you have & the battery Ah or Wh figures.

Slightlypedantic

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2022
East Sussex
Thanks everybody, that's reassuring. I hadn't appreciated that the battery voltage fully charged would be so much more than the nominal 36V.

The battery and charger came as part of a conversion kit supplied by a reputable online supplier. Nevertheless I just wanted to check that I wasn't being told porkies. I didn't mention the supplier's name as I didn't want to tarnish their reputation unfairly.

Nealh - The battery is marked HL1 (looks identical to a Hailong battery apart from branding) and it's 13 A.hr - so, 36 x 13 = 468W.hr. I peeped inside (without damaging the seal) but the cells are hidden under blue shrink wrap, so I couldn't see what make/model they are. I'll just have to take care of it - sjpt's tips sound very sensible.

FWIW, the controller (model YCSH-D, integral with the battery base) is marked 36V (obviously!), maximum current 15+/-1A and under-voltage protection 29+/-1V. No programming socket but perhaps there is one lurking inside... but no fiddling until it's well run in, if at all.

Thanks again all, you've put my mind at rest.

Reactions: Bikes4two