Battery capacity and longevity

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I've covered 15000 km on my NCM Moscow in just under 3 years.
A local re-celler tells me that this is much better than he would expect for a 48v 13Ah battery.
I may be noticing a slight reduction in capacity, but it may be just cold weather or maybe just me, and I'm hoping to put off re-celling or buying a new battery for a further 3 years and 15k km...I'm a natural optimist and a Tyke!

I know it's a "How long is a piece of string?" question, dependent on many variables, but it would be informative if people were to post their experience - good and bad - regarding battery lives.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my 400w bosch batt new in 2014 is now on its last legs in turbo mode it now uses 33% in just 2 miles but giving its age and i use a dongle it has done its job and still works and charges just not much capacity left.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
dunno how long it'll last, but there's plenty of compatible batteries that fit your bike on aliexpress from about £300 del.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Yes, very much a 'how long is the bit of string' question.

I'm sure there will be other posters saying how long their batteries have lasted, but without knowing what cells are in it and how hard (as in current pulled from them vs their spec) they've been used, then such reports will INHO be lacking in substance.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
That is quite a lot but not excessive

depends on how well you have looked after the battery but with good quality cells I wouldn;t be surprised if it was OK for a while - but maybe not the same again.

I have certainly noticed that my ebikes get less mileage from the battery in cold weather - I would wait to make a decision until it warms up - then see how it is

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I think we can reasonably estimate the expected battery life. Your battery is 48v X 13ah = approx 620watt hours and depending on your weight and fitness and use would give approx a range of 50 to 80 km (or more for some). I would get about 60 km per charge on that battery. Many batteries are guareenteed for 500 full cycles, so in my case, I would expect a minimum of 60 X 500 = 30,000 km on that battery, if the battery is of reasonable quality and not abused.
In practise, I seem to be getting more than the 500 cycles. I have one small battery 320wh that going on 5 years old (2017) and has clocked up 24,000 km or about 800 full charge/discharge cycles. This battery is still working but has reduced capacity (<80%).

Reactions: Bikes4two