Battery Capacity?

rigel

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2011
I have a Freego Kingfisher with the 16ah upgrade.

The battery has 3 lights on it and all 3 light up even as the number of lights on the bike display reduce from 4 to 2.

I got down to 1 light on the bike display and as the battery was showing 2 --- the red & one green I thought all ok ------- wrong the power cut out. Fair enough as display down to 1 light. However the battery itself was still showing the 2 lights which would indicate it had power left.

Am I right in guessing the battery or bike has a protection sensor to cut the power before the battery discharges to low ----- I understand it's not good to allow a lithiam to fully discharge often.

At least now I know it won't be a problem!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, there is always a low voltage cut-out which operates at about 31.5 to 32 volts on a nominal 36 volt lithium battery.

I'm afraid battery meters are generally inaccurate since batteries are chemical devices which cannot be spot measured for content electrically. These meters just measure the very slight falls in voltage to give an approximation of the remaining content. They are also affected by the motor use, so are best read when no power is being used.

rigel

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks ------- makes sense & I'll rely on the bike readout from now on!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Rigel, my Bearprint New City 505 with the 36V 16AH battery upgrade has only very recently shown less than full charge on the battery light check even though I am travelling 26 miles each work day on a single charge and the handlebar light consistantly shows 2 out of 4 lights on my return home. Even so a few minutes later the battery check lights went from 2 lights to 3 (1 red and 2 green). Like you I decided to rely on the handlebar lights rather than the battery lights.
I believe my Bearprint Ebike and your Freego Kingfisher are made in the same factory in China! As I posted in my Ebike review the front wire connector container actually has "Freego" moulded into the housing!
They are terrific Ebikes though - yesterday I brought up 3800 miles since October 20th last year commuting to work 5 days a week. I have only missed 6 days since then through Flu - 3 days off & 3 days by Car on my return.

Barry.

rigel

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Barry

I'm a novice compared to you!

Bought my kingfisher about a month ago for both the trip to work - about 3 miles across country & for pleasure. There are loads of off road/cycle tracks round here & in summer the roads are clogged up so the ebike is the business.

I have the MTB version & whilst it won't handle any heavy off roading it's ideal for the bridle paths & disused railway tracks.

Glad you enjoy yours so much.