Battery chargers

andyc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 8, 2013
Hi,

I am Andy - I had an ezee torq bike for a few years (never particularly satisfactory) but it was stolen in October. I have recently bought a eE electric bike Sport http://www.3eelectric.com/index.php/3e-electric-bike/3e-sport-electric-bike second hand on ebay (I know it is a risk but the price was reasonable). I live partly in Sheffield and partly in London and it was always a pain taking the charger between the two on the train. So my question is: can I use the charger from the ezeetorq on my new eE sports bike? Details from what I can see are:

Ezee charger: HIGH POWER LI-ION BATTERY CHAGER model HP8204L3(10S) output 36VDC/2A - it a heavy metal casing with a fan going when it charges.

3E charger: Sand Electronic Li-ion battery charge model SSLCO84V42 output 42.0V 1.8A - it is lighter with a plastic case and no fan.

Both have the same 3 pin plug to go into the battery.

The battery is 36v 18Ah.

Thanks

Andy

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Can you check the voltage output on your Ezee charger with a voltmeter? It states it is 36V but also says it is a li-ion charger for 10S, which ought to have 42V. If it is actually 42V then they ought to be fine, assuming the polarity is the same on both chargers!

Michael

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes you can, the eZee charger's actual output is 42 volts. The makers, HighPower, label them with the nominal battery voltage. Just make sure the connection polarities on the XLR connector are the same as Michael says.

It's the battery's BMS that cuts off charging, these chargers are not smart, they just deliver the current until the BMS tells them to stop.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use either charger on either bike, but it might be a good idea to check that the pins are the same polarity before connecting the Ezee charger. Use a voltmeter. It's the left and right pins.

andyc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks guys - polarity seems to be the same and voltage is about 42 on the same left and right pins and -42 if I swap then round. I assume it doesn't matter that it has the green light on rather than the red one for when it is actually connected to a battery and charging. Thanks again its always good to check.