Battery Charging

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
I managed to run my Wisper to the point where the battery started cutting out on Monday (about 42 miles).

I charged it up on Monday evening, then took the bike to work on Friday, where I was really surprised at how fast the first battery light went out.

So my question is as follows.

When the battery has had a good hammering, and the bike won't be used for a few days, should I:
1) Charge the battery immediately?
2) Charge the battery just before I use it again?
3) Charge the battery immediately and charge it again just before I use it?

Regards,

Elephants

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Normally just charging the battery immediately is ok. One of the best features of lithium batteries is that they lose virtually no charge when standing, so it sounds like some trickle current was draining through the bike's circuitry. Was it left switched on?

If not, next time you do this, remove the battery from the bike and see if it loses charge then in the intervening days, it should lose hardly anything.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Losing power

Hi EG

As Flecc says, you should not have lost hardly any power at all overnight. In fact without new batteries we only recommend charging for a couple of hours every two months when not being used at all.

I look forward to hearing your answer to Flecc's question re whether the battery was turned off at the key, as I think this may have been the problem.

Best regards David

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
On the Friday where the lights went out fast, the green light was out after 2 miles.

I've been to work on the bike twice since then, and both times the battery lights behaved in the way I've come to expect as "normal" (i.e. green for 8 miles, then amber for 8, then red for the next 16-24).

I always remove the keys from the battery, so it wasn't that. I've taken to disconnecting the battery lead when I'm not using the bike, so I don't know if that helps.

The only unusual thing about "dodgy Friday" was having run the bike to the point of cut-out on the previous ride (the only time I've done this).

In fact I think the battery is starting to have an easier time of it as my fitness improves and I'm contributing more of the power myself - my average speed to work has crept from 13mph to 14.5mph.

Maybe it was just a one-off weird thing; everything seems fine at the moment.

Thanks for you help.

Regards,

Elephants