Battery choice 5AH+10AH or 15AH

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Just waiting for info on Ping battery availability to go with Tongxin kit. I can see advantages to getting 5AH and 10AH batteries. I could have a very good range with both and if in the future I put one together for my wife I'd already have battery and for shorter journeys I could save the weight.

But what I don't know is if there is any advantage to be had by having one larger capacity battery (other than not having to change over on a longer journey). Is there anything about a larger capacity battery that makes it more capable in any way, say in 'harder' working scenarios like long hills?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Just waiting for info on Ping battery availability to go with Tongxin kit. I can see advantages to getting 5AH and 10AH batteries. I could have a very good range with both and if in the future I put one together for my wife I'd already have battery and for shorter journeys I could save the weight.

But what I don't know is if there is any advantage to be had by having one larger capacity battery (other than not having to change over on a longer journey). Is there anything about a larger capacity battery that makes it more capable in any way, say in 'harder' working scenarios like long hills?
A larger battery may benefit from not being discharged as much, leading to a longer life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And a larger battery can give a marginally better performance since the battery cells do not chemically tire as much when under high load as in hill climbing.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
And a larger battery can give a marginally better performance since the battery cells do not chemically tire as much when under high load as in hill climbing.
As both Flecc and Mussels have said the 15AH is probably the better option.

Here's the theory. Every battery has a rating which tells you how much current it can deliver as a proportion of its capacity.

So a "1C" 5AH battery can deliver 5amps. At 2C it delivers 10amps and so on.
A 15AH battery at 1C will deliver 15Amps.

The higher the "C" the more strain on the battery...and the shorter the life.

In addition there's the DOD (depth of discharge). Discharging a battery 100% every time will lead to a much shorter charge than discharging only 33% of the charge.

So basically if you want a battery to last a long time get a big one and charge as often as possible...

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

I find if you go for the big ones you can go faster but not so far.

Go for the biggy if you can.

thx

Bob

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks all, that's helpful. Big one it is then, if the prices and exchange rate don't interfere too much.