Battery cost for TSDZ2

Pajd100

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Hi there,

After a lot of lurking and reading around here I am about to start converting an old mid-90's Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail using a TSDZ2 kit. I am based in the UK.

Have been looking at kits and batteries from various places and prices seem to vary a lot. If I am using a 48V TSDZ2 kit from say Whoosh bikes, then would this battery be suitable?

https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Downtube-Big-Power-48V12.5Ah-HaiLong-Lithium-E-Bike-Battery-with-USB-Battery-Switch-E-bike-DIY-70.html

It seems the correct one to me, but the price seems almost too low and i am now not sure it would work with the kit?

Any advice much appreciated.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It's a 48v pack so will work just fine with any legal kit.

The reason it's cheap are unbranded cells firstly. Generally branded perform batter and last longer.

Also that looks like a HL Xl pack not a standard size. So maybe they are using much cheaper, lower ah cells..... And using more of them

I've got both around. I'll take a pic

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a 65 cell pack, which is pretty standard, so should be OK. It's guaranteed for 2 years, which is about as long as any pack lasts. I would take a punt on it at that price.

Pajd100

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2019
That is what I was thinking, seems significantly cheaper than some I have seen elsewhere and seems people from here have bought from Yose Power before.

I just need to check the dimensions I think based on the pictures above.

Pajd100

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Hmm, after checking dimensions, it won't fit as the frame is only 15.5" and there is not so much space in there. I think I'll just plum for getting the whole kit +battery from Whoosh bikes as they are pretty local to me in case of any issues.

Thanks for the heads up, have avoided buying a battery that would have been an expensive paperweight!

Backpeddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2019
I think the woosh battery uses the same battery case the HL 3, so if that one wont fit neither will the woosh battery. I would speak to them and check it out before ordering.

Pajd100

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2019
I popped into Whoosh with my frame a couple of weeks ago and it fitted fine, the dimensions they gave me over email had a battery height of 90mm where as the one in the link is 110mm, that's why i don't think it will fit.

I assume the difference is what is shown in the picture earlier in the thread.

Backpeddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2019
There are three Hailong cases, HL 1, HL 2 and HL3. The two in the pics are HL1 & 3. The HL 1 is the 90mm high case. It takes 52 cells for a 48 v battery max at 14ah. The HL 3 takes 65 cells at 48v max 17.5 ah. This is with 3500mah cells used in both cases.

This is the bit I am not sure about, I think that Woosh batteries use 3000mah cells that would make up a 12ah battery in the 90mm HL1 case and 15ah in the 110mm HL 3 case.

Not asked them myself as the only case that would suit me is the HL 1 case but at 12ah it does not have the capacity I am looking for.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I popped into Whoosh with my frame a couple of weeks ago and it fitted fine
I use the HL1 case. There is also a new rack option for the 48V battery with higher capacity.