Battery Fires

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I remember my visit to Jimmy in N .London and in his worshshop had a pallet crate full of batteries from an ebike suppler that needed his attention. They had been there for ages and he said he will get round to them as and when.
We all know some basics. Don't: drop, kick, shot at, hammer nails into, put in fire, charge with wrong charger etc etc

It is when batteries are stored and when charged they are most deadly. I never experienced battery fire or house fire, but they do happen and none of us wants that. Some easy precautions could reduce risk nearly to zero.
It's not the charging and storage , but the use of a an incorrect voltage supply source or the stupid thing of idiots reverse charging.
We have heard on here where soem members have gon down the reverse charging route and some who omit the BMS altogether, fortunately they haven't come unstuck with their idiotic practices .

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Speaking of battery fires, this should be fun:

Battery Electric Trains on trial in London for unelectrified branch lines use all day long. The battery fully recharges at the end of each run in just three and a half minutes! Being media no information of what battery type is used, probably Lithium but could be an application for Sodium-salt, given seven day and all day working.

Two video links, the second one with more information but more waffle as well:

I wonder if they'll refuse to carry e-bikes and e-scooters ?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Speaking of battery fires, this should be fun:

Battery Electric Trains on trial in London for unelectrified branch lines use all day long. The battery fully recharges at the end of each run in just three and a half minutes! Being media no information of what battery type is used, probably Lithium but could be an application for Sodium-salt, given seven day and all day working.

Two video links, the second one with more information but more waffle as well:

I wonder if they'll refuse to carry e-bikes and e-scooters ?
I pray that one doesn't catch fire. Everything else has, so I don't hold out too much hope.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Woosh has had racks of batteries in storage, and he's been charging them from time to time. That's been going on for more than 10 years. He has never had a fire. Likewise, I've had at least 10 good batteries plus a pallet load of faulty ones stored at my house for more than 10 years. They never caught fire either. That sort of destroys your theory.
What theory?
I wish Woosh and you all the best. I am really happy to hear there were no reported cases of fire in Woosh warehouse, but it proves nothing. I hope mentioned warehouse wasn't flooded either. Please don't tell me it is a proof that floods don't exist.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
flood? we are on a cliff, in town centre.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"sales figures don't count ebike conversion kits, whereas the fire report data counts converted bikes as e-bikes.

But if we use this number as a rough guide, the 20 electric bicycle fires in that year correspond to 0.003% or 1 in 30,000 e-bikes "on the road" catching fire in that year. If only half of those e-bikes were still in use in 2022, the odds would increase to 1 in 15,000. For comparison, the same report states that around 1 in 1,300 cars catch fire each year in Sweden, including from crashes and arson, although electric car fires are much rarer (around 1 in 30,000). "

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/e-bike-battery-fires-should-you-be-worried.html

Reactions: Woosh