Battery Ignoramus Question

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
(I've edited my post to better match the professed electrical knowledge of the OP, although given what he has done so far in disassembly, I'm sure he could pick up this knowlege.

It looks to me like the BMS is wired correct. There should have been a charge connector with its return pin wired to the black wire coming out of the -CH terminal on the BMS, and the hot wire in common with the heavy red wire. This should be added.

Also, if one had a meter and knew how to use it, now would be a good time to check all the series voltages.

The charger should show a red LED until the pack is recharged. If it doesn't, it either means that it's already charged, or you did the connections improperly. Having a dedicated charge plug for the battery would help.

Last edited:

Captain_Mike

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2019
OK. So it sounds as if a reasonable modification has been carried out and that the battery is safe to use in its present form and that the 36v reading indicates a reasonably powerful battery. Thanks to all of you for your advice and guidance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
OK. So it sounds as if a reasonable modification has been carried out and that the battery is safe to use in its present form and that the 36v reading indicates a reasonably powerful battery. Thanks to all of you for your advice and guidance.
If the battery was in tip top condition voltage wise as Benj has said it should give a reading of 41.5- 42v, the fact the charger doesn't input more charge may be because one cell group is high. Ideally you need to measure the 10 cell group voltages to get 10 separate voltage readings each one should be 3.2v - 4.2v, getting these readings is quite easy by disconnecting the white multi block with the thin coloured sense wires.

Can you tell us if there are 10 or 11 thin wires on the connector block.