Battery life

Colin Davies

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2015
Argyll & Bute
I have two Phyllion 37v Li-Ion batteries for the two bikes we have. Both are about four years old. Both batteries seem to charge OK, one showing 39.8v and the other 39.5v when charged. Both cut out after a short distance, one showing 38.7v and the other 39.3v. Very frustrating! Help!!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As mentioned elsewhere in the forum, the Phyllion batteries are known for their shortish life.

You've done well to get four years.

Time to replace them.

Newer batteries have cells which can last longer, although four years is not too bad for any ebike battery.

An ebike is a very demanding application, although the less powerful the motor, the longer the battery will tend to last.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, they are at end of life and you have done well at 4 years.

If sound they would read 42 volts fully charged.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have two Phyllion 37v Li-Ion batteries for the two bikes we have. Both are about four years old. Both batteries seem to charge OK, one showing 39.8v and the other 39.5v when charged. Both cut out after a short distance, one showing 38.7v and the other 39.3v. Very frustrating! Help!!
You have two scrap batteries now. You can replace them with a much nicer frame-mounted battery. What type are they- rack or seatpost mounted?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Keep, give away or sell the BMS circuit board and case though. Don't chuck them as they are really useful for folk who build their own batteries

Colin Davies

Apr 13, 2015
Argyll & Bute
The bike is a Synergie Typhoon, bought from AlienOcean in Lochgelly, who I believe have now ceased trading. The battery is similar in style to those on ebay, Kirstin S, but rectangular in section, not square.
Photos httph://s284.photobucket.com/user/AlienOcean/library/Synergie%20Typhoon?sort=3&page=1. Other bike is a trike retrofitted with same power kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use any 36v battery you want. There's two wires to the controller, which are black and red. When you connect your new battery, you only have to get them the right way round.

If that were my bike, I'd chuck that whole monstrosity on the back of your bike and replace it with a bottle battery. Your controller sits in a box at the front of the battery, so you would need to find a new place to house it. I put mine in a toolbag under the saddle.

The control system for your bike is very out of date. Modern ones have many more features and give a much better riding experience. If it were my bike, I'd be thinking about getting a bottle battery with an integrated controller, which will make the installation a lot neater and more convenient.

Is your motor sensorless (3 wires) os sensored (3 thick an 5 thin wires)?

Colin Davies

Apr 13, 2015
Argyll & Bute
One motor (on the trike) has three feed cables, the other has eight. Part of what I don't understand is why the motor cuts out at such a high voltage - lack of current?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Part of what I don't understand is why the motor cuts out at such a high voltage - lack of current?
Yes, the cells can no longer sustain the high discharge current your motor needs, so the voltage collapses as the demand is made.

As soon as the load is removed, the volltage bounces back up. This is true of all batteries, when a 12 volt car battery can no longer start a car through age, it will usually still show around 13 volts fully charged.

Colin Davies

Apr 13, 2015
Argyll & Bute
Many thanks to all who contributed. I now have a much clearer idea of what is going on. I will now try to resource a suitable power pack. Any suggestions anyone?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can buy direct from BMS battery in China. That will have added carriage charges and possibly VAT but can still be economic.

Here's the 36 volt Li-ion page with many choices that will all do the job, others may be able to advise more specifically or have alternative suppliers.

D8veh can advise on the best combined battery with controller options.

D

Deleted member 4366

Many thanks to all who contributed. I now have a much clearer idea of what is going on. I will now try to resource a suitable power pack. Any suggestions anyone?
Do you want to do it at minimum cost or do you want something that's better? Do you want to upgrade your control system?