Battery life

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Factcheck: How electric vehicles help to tackle climate change

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Fracking deal with the US will help Britain keep the lights on: Rishi Sunak and Joe Biden will unveil gas supply agreement TODAY

burn the dinosaurs to ship the gas :rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
(It tastes horrible)

Algae biopanel windows make power, oxygen and biomass, and suck up CO2

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...but as an anti car person you were so busy looking for fault you couldn't be bothered with it.

Drop the arrogance, as I said you know F-all about me.
You see @flecc, you're making arrogant assumptions about me too when you actually know F-all about me too.

I sold my Mercedes at my main home and so now choose to use public transport (in a city), but I still have my diesel VW van at my holiday home for day trips with my e-bike. Does that make me "anti-car"?

I'm not looking for fault at all. In essence I agree with you. You're rising to the bait.

I could buy an EV... or any other new car.... but I question whether I should.

That's the debate.

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
electric cars are now a consumer product so when the warranty ends so will the life of the car be over as parts like on a 10 year old phone will be obsolete.

bosch said they would support there products for 10 years so my time is up but the point they do make a batt that will fit my bike just software locked out from working means ill never buy another one esp with can bus bs and planned obsolescence.

so if you have the cash buy one use it until it is out of warranty bin it and buy a new one.

or do a Eddie pj and ramp the **** out off it in thunder storms to the point the bearings fall out of the motor get a new one under warranty from bosch sell it after 2 years and start again with a new bike :p

at least you will have control of the controller and more easy to change batts and parts.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think partially that is what we see in the used ebike market for mid drive bikes SW, quite a few up for sale before the 2 yr warranty expires except sellerswant top lolly for a worthless bike that is likely to be scrap should it go wrong soon after.

Reactions: cyclebuddy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I still have my diesel VW van at my holiday home for day trips with my e-bike. Does that make me "anti-car"?
Oh dear, using a diesel to carry a bike makes you a villain in many eyes!

You said we are using the same hymn sheet but that isn't the case in many respects. My home is deliberately as minimal as it could be, bought 55 years ago for entirely green reasons when I could have bought anything far larger. I wouldnt dream of having another home as well, whether for holidays or not. The closest I ever got to that was a boat on the South Coast for few years.

Obviously we are both very environmentally inclined, but in rather different ways, and I suspect we have somewhat different visions of the future.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Another thing with LFP one can't really go by voltage regarding discharge as the curve is very linear and typically only 0.35v for full to empty on single cell basis, one would need to monitor Wh usage to be more exact so a shunt / watt meter incorparated.
DOD of 80 % or 90% for best cycle life butthen again once one gets to a certain age the battery cycle life will out last the human one.
80% DOD a typical range would be 3v - 3.35v approx. & 90% 2.8v - 3.4/45v.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
electric cars are now a consumer product so when the warranty ends so will the life of the car be over as parts like on a 10 year old phone will be obsolete.
No, cars are different since there is far more money in them than in phones and e-bikes. There will always be someone making the necessary parts simply because they will be able to make good money doing it.

That's why you can buy excellent electric conversions of any very old ic car, and why WeBuyAnyCar are still eager to give me almost £20 k for my five year old Leaf that only cost just over £25k.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
No, cars are different since there is far more money in them than in phones and e-bikes. There will always be someone making the necessary parts simply because they will be able to make good money doing it.

That's why you can buy excellent electric conversions of any very old ic car, and why WeBuyAnyCar are still eager to give me almost £20 k for my five year old Leaf that only cost just over £25k.
3rd party's wont be able to make the parts as everything will be serialized so only the manufacture will be able to make them and can charge what they like or just stop making them.

some ebikes are pushing 15k plus now and a new car every 5 years just makes them even more money.

they sdont sell the chip and he has no way to programme it so bin job.

when everything has a computer in it and parts you cant even buy or use with out the software your screwed.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Try Stax electrostatic "earspeakers". They're sublime (and reassuringly expensive).
I'm too scared, in case I like them - audiophilia is an airborne, easily transmissible financially crippling disease. :eek:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another thing with LFP one can't really go by voltage regarding discharge as the curve is very linear and typically only 0.35v for full to empty on single cell basis, one would need to monitor Wh usage to be more exact so a shunt / watt meter incorparated.
DOD of 80 % or 90% for best cycle life butthen again once one gets to a certain age the battery cycle life will out last the human one.
80% DOD a typical range would be 3v - 3.35v approx. & 90% 2.8v - 3.4/45v.
Blimey, you're not kidding:

I'd have to reprogram Bafang BBS01B firmware for a lower voltage cutoff.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
3rd party's wont be able to make the parts as everything will be serialized so only the manufacture will be able to make them and can charge what they like or just stop making them.
No not parts. Like electrifying old ic cars, swapping the whole motor etc, rather like fitting a motor kit to a bicycle. E-cars are so expensive the cost of drive motor and controller replacement is peanuts.

That bypasses all manufacturers blocking. Then if neessary SVA to get on road approval as a one off and back on the road.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

there are loads of them on ebay but you cant use the tesla controller so you have to rip all of that out and use a 3rd party controller as then it is just a 3 phase motor.

but these things have bearings in them and like my mid motor at some point will need changing but if you can do all the metal work and labour it could be done under 20k and have serviceable parts and batts that are not a rip off to buy or make ur own packs.

problem is most ppl dont think like this and just buy the new shiny thing on the show room floor and when they rip a wing mirror of and the car shuts down as not safe to use and then forced to pay a rip off price for a new one because it has a video cam inside it and a chip to talk to the car that also needs to be activated buy a dealer.

even the wheels have sensors in them so you swap out for some new bad ass rims the car wont work lmfao. :rolleyes:

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With the differing chemistry one has to remember the series count differs.
For LFP 24v becomes 8s & not 7s.
36v becomes 12s & not 10s.
44v becomes 14s & not 12s .
48v becomes 16s & not 13s.
Though if one was using cells like the 32700 one could technically use 15 cells in series for an exact 48v nominal.

LFP is still a lithium battery except the chem is safer and less dense pers cell size, LFP is lithum ferrous phospate . Like other chems they can short circuit but the density and any thermal runaway means thay won't catch fire.

Like any other chem one still needs to equip the pack with a bms for charge/discharge.
I recall you mentioned a muse about attaching a Carry Freedom bike trailer to a Citroen Ami - there aren't many images of the chassis, but at 45 seconds, it looks as though there are solid connection points:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...top lolly for a worthless bike...
lol. I think that's hysterical, but true!

You said we are using the same hymn sheet but that isn't the case in many respects. My home is deliberately as minimal as it could be, bought 55 years ago for entirely green reasons when I could have bought anything far larger.
Ditto. Maybe I'm late to the party, but my "holiday home" was bought as a write-off and rebuilt/renovated to be as eco as it could be... it is far "greener" than a modern build: oak and lime circa 1850, it's naturally warm, and I'll retire (properly) and likely die in it.

I don't think we do have different visions of the future... just different interpretations of how to deal with it.

Reactions: Bikes4two and flecc