Battery Location advice please

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
I have A Haro Heartland Express bike which I want to eventualy convert to pedlec.
The problem is going to be the battery location I know I can fit a rear rack type. The problem is the triangle is limited for space for fitting a downtube type. So I was wondering if it would be ok to maybe fit the battery to the top tube ?. Would this cause any frame weakness problems ? I have attached a picture as you will see the gap is quite small.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

It would probably be OK, but doesn't make sense. The battery will bring the height up to the level of a normal crossbar. Why not get a cross-bar bike and put the battery in the triangle. The cost of a bike like that is small compared with the cost of the kit and it'll give you a chance to get a donor with disc brakes. can we see some photos of the whole bike, the forks and the handlebar layout?

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
Hi I know it don't make sense but I love the bike so would rather keep it normal than get rid of it. I do own a seago folding bike but I want to use my Haro more. I have put a pic of a stock bike but its the same as mine. I will go for the rear rack option if I need too as a last resort.

Attachments

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
You can often fit bottle type batteries on frames with low crossbars - but it can be tight, so you'll need to measure.

Here's a photo of my wife's bike - the battery is just about removable. You can get ones that slide out sideways rather than upwards for this exact situation (but they cost more than I wanted to pay!).

bike.jpg

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
Thanks rich
yep that look tight fit I will have to get the tape out and do a bit of hunting around but I do prefer the bottle look so if possible that's the way I will go.
Your pic has given me some hope thanks.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That is a HUGE triangle! Bigly HUUUUGE!

Measure then go look for a HL battery case, check the dimensions, it should fit in there.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can see you have not got enough space to insert and remove the HL battery.

if it were my bike, I'll 3D print a triangle box to house the HL battery..

D

Deleted member 4366

There's several types of those cylindrical bottle batteries. You need the one that comes out sideways.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Yep avoid rear rack, it's high and weight in the wrong place , makes bike unstable at maneuvering and high speed ,