Battery pack connector identification.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I'm trying to find out what type of connector my 48v 10ah lithium iron battery pack is fitted with.

It's the bottle bracket fixing type shown in the inset, with a large photo of the socket itself.

The male plug is fixed in the holder on the bike, and I'd like to get a line plug so that I can also use the battery on another bike sometimes. The BMS, switches and fuses are all in the demountable battery casing, so there's no important components within the bracket holder that would be bypassed.

48v bottle battery connector.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm trying to pick my brains as I saw a connector exactly like this online somewhere and is the same one I have, it was also mounted in the lower ali/plastic mounting plate.
Elifebike have a male/female connector looks similar not sure if it is the same one.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've searched through Google images, RS, and Maplin, but haven't seen anything with the numbers or the three plastic indentations.

There's plenty of similar 2 pin screw type connectors with the edge semicircle cutout for polarity, but it's difficult to see the exact dimensions.

I'm wondering if it's maybe a Chinese specific design, rather than an exact copy of a proprietary standard fitting.

Here's a photo of the plug as well, the part that's left on the bottle bracket on the bike:

battery plug and socket.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My M/F plug is identical but came from Woosh and is 15a, the cases are nigh on the same and made/sourced by/from Leadyo Shenzen.
In Shemozzles's thread ' bargain buy-parts' aliexpress sell the same empty battery case and frame kit (dimensions and pic is exact) for about £40 delivered which I may end up buying as I want to swap my battery between two bikes. Originally I asked Woosh to see if they can source the item however have not heard back yet. Also EM3EV have M/F plug on their web site but pic is unclear whether it is the same.

Last edited:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Yes, the dimples don't appear to mate in any way.

The ebay link certainly seems very similar, but there are very subtle (but maybe crucial) differences in the photo. On mine, the pins are not on the centre line, and the pins are solid, with the sockets spilt to give the grip, whereas the ebay photo shows the other way round, with solid sockets and split pins.

I'll have a look at the EM3EV website Nealth.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had an email from Tony@woosh today, they have ordered some empty battery cases with the frame fiiting but won't be here until after 15 Jan 15. Tony says about £20 ish inc delivey, so sorts my second bike out for battery now just need to keep looking for used appropriate mtb to convert.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Had an email from Tony@woosh today, they have ordered some empty battery cases with the frame fiiting but won't be here until after 15 Jan 15. Tony says about £20 ish inc delivey, so sorts my second bike out for battery now just need to keep looking for used appropriate mtb to convert.
That sounds great Neal, (shame about the wait though !)

They're listed on the BMS Battery site as well, at $37, but the shipping adds another $40, and then when you get stuffed with the Fedex customs, vat, and "handling fee", the damn things are about £60... :mad:

D

Deleted member 4366

3 cheers to Woosh for making ebiking affordable. I suppose we have to include Kudos too because of their £100 for a complete motor wheel and low cost batteries.

Reactions: cwah

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
3 cheers to Woosh for making ebiking affordable. I suppose we have to include Kudos too because of their £100 for a complete motor wheel and low cost batteries.
Where do Kudos list their parts prices Dave ?

I'm always keen to buy from UK suppliers if reasonably viable, and keep looking at their websites, but the Kudos website spares page is blank ?

D

Deleted member 4366

You have to call them. The spares pages haven't been updated for the new models, except mudguards.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Ok, thanks.

I'll email them and ask what motors they have and how much they are.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the link Neil, but I was trying to find just the plug itself, which I'd also hoped could be found from a UK supplier if it's a standard fitting.

I just wanted to make up a spare lead with that plug on it so that I could use the 48v battery pack on another bike with it mounted in a a pannier bag.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I understand your predicament eHomer as I had similar thoughts. As d8veh said about it being an aviation plug,makes me wonder if the Chinese have copied it in to an abs moulding except as a m/f push fit instead of the m/f screw fit ? Various sellers sell the same 09 bottle design but with a slightly different casing some have charge indiactors and some don't , they all though use the same mounting bracket. I have seen the battery on woosh, bmsb, em3ev, ciclotek and I think elife bike to name a few some with their own branding.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
It could well be a "near" copy Neal, so getting hold of just a plug may be impossible. My other option I suppose is to replace the plug and socket in the battery pack with a standard equivalent, then I could just buy extra plugs, knowing they would fit.

Having a fly lead with the same connection is really useful, as it greatly increases the usability of the battery pack. I managed to adapt a standard plug to fit my other 36v 10ah chinese battery packs. They also fitted into a fixed rack mounted plug. I found that a standard mains 3 pin "kettle" type plug fitted perfectly, once the earth prong and plastic hood were dremelled off and the others reduced in width slightly. I even managed to get a right angle version which fits more snugly against the battery. The "floating" plug is not keyed to ensure polarity, so I painted the large red and white markers.

I can now use those same batteries on my Dahon folder or my Hase trike.

With battery technology advancing so quickly I didn't want to "invest" in more of them than I needed !! :)

Attachments