Battery Question

rexy2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2008
I have a izip Trailz al bike the battery's are just about dead(i can do about 5 miles on them) I am looking at buying some new ones. I have found some that are 12v 9ah but the ones that came with the bike are 12v 10ah, will the 9ah oneswork and what is the difference in the ah? Would i still be able to use the same charger.
Sorry dont know anything about batterys

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes you can use them ok. The only difference will be the slightly shorter range.

The Ah (Ampere Hour) is an expression of the quantity of power in the battery, a bit like gallons with petrol.

If you prefer you can buy the correct batteries from here:

Powered Bicycles

Last edited:

rexy2

Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the quick answer but the battery I have is the one that fits on a bike rack on the back. Does the distance change a lot frome 10ah to 9ah or is it just a small amount. I can buy to new 9ah batterys for £30.00(for the pair delivered), is this a good price? All i have to do is unscrew the casing and change the batterys.

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
If this breaks any posting rules can admins please delete.

I am in no way connected to the seller

I still have my Izip Mountain Trailz AL and replaced the internal lead batteries
I bought them from the link below they are the correct dimentions and AMPS.

The seller accepted a lower offer of £32 for 2 batteries.

The ones he sent were not the same as the picture but were branded Lucas ones, easy to change and much cheaper than buying the complete Izip battery case.

AGM 10AH -12 VOLT : MOBILITY/BIKE BATTERY on eBay, also Mobility Scooters, Mobility Equipment, Mobility, Disability Medical, Health Beauty (end time 11-Mar-09 10:16:43 GMT)

rexy2

Jun 26, 2008
So can i buy a battery with a higher ah say 12ah and still beable to use the charger and it would be ok for the bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So can i buy a battery with a higher ah say 12ah and still beable to use the charger and it would be ok for the bike
Yes indeed, the capacity in Ampere hours has a pro rata effect if the battery qualities are equal.

For example, if a 10 Ah battery takes 2.5 hours to charge and carries you 20 miles, an 8 Ah battery takes 2 hours to charge and carries you 16 miles, and a 12 Ah one would take 3 hours to charge and carry you 24 miles.

The same charger can be used if the battery type and voltage is the same, i.e., lead acid 24 Volt in this case.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Yes indeed, the capacity in Ampere hours has a pro rata effect if the battery qualities are equal.

For example, if a 10 Ah battery takes 2.5 hours to charge and carries you 20 miles, an 8 Ah battery takes 2 hours to charge and carries you 16 miles, and a 12 Ah one would take 3 hours to charge and carry you 24 miles.

The same charger can be used if the battery type and voltage is the same, i.e., lead acid 24 Volt in this case.
Of course that's also assuming they'll fit physically.

Also you might want to look at this recent thread:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/3571-good-toy-while-battery-lasted-4.html

which talks about the differences between the different lead acid batteries available, and how some might not be the bargain they appear to be!