Battery range

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi

Whilst out enjoyng the sunshine on my Wisper 905 today, I got to thinking about battery range. I'm really pleased with what I get with the bike - I use only use the pedal assist rather than the throttle, but wouldn't it be great if the range was 100 miles rather than 60. That way I could make it all the way to the coast and have a few miles spare in case I took a detour/wrong turn!

With battery technology improving all the time, how long do we think it will be before a 100 mile range (and further), on a medium/high assistance setting, will become a reality?

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
A long time, it seems to me.

There doesn't seem to be anything really new coming along and in summer when the temperature is high we get the best out of the batteries! 60 miles in winter too would be something in itself and even more so with a 2 year old battery

My Kalkhoff won't get more than 50 miles range under my use - your Wisper must be using something new in the way of technology to get 60.

How;'s it done, Flecc?

I'm talking powered use, of course. If I pedal with power off I can add that to my range but 60 miles under power, no way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Kalkhoff won't get more than 50 miles range under my use - your Wisper must be using something new in the way of technology to get 60.

How;'s it done, Flecc?
The Wisper has two switched power levels and the low one which some use most of the time is very low. I can't remember exactly but I think its about 20% of full power.

That's like running a Kalkhoff on Eco all the time, and the Wisper battery is 518 Wh so about double the 260 Wh of the Kalkhoff's Panasonic battery.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Would be a shame if we have to wait years for this, as I'm sure an even longer range would encourage more people to turn to ebikes