Battery starting to fade on my Carrera Vulcan E

shabba007

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2021
I have a Carrera Vulcan E bike from 2018. I've noticed recently the battery isn't lasting as half as long as it used to, so obviously it's on it's way out !
Looking at a replacement Halfords want £385 which I find shocking ? It's not even showing in stock.

Any one know if these batteries can be re-celled or replaced with an alternative ? I don't want to give Halford a penny more after having so many problems with this bike. I don't want to sell it on with a dodgy battery, but at the same time I don't want to scrap it considering I spent £1200 on this bike 3-4 years ago, so looking at options...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid circa £400 is a common price for proprietary e-bike lithium batteries like that model's.

Your 2018 model has the controller built into the battery case, it was moved out from 2020 on, but it should still be able to be recelled.

Contact Jimmy for a quote at :

They can arrange collection and delivery for you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What model battery is it ?
Some carrera ike use a phylion case battery and they can be had for about £200 from Yose power.

Reactions: egroover

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This video shows a 2018 model, same year as the OP's, the battery looks a proprietary job and has the controller built in.

Does yours look like it shabba007 ?

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Mine is 2017 and has the phylion battery, I recently bought this which ships from Germany
Battery link
But as mentioned you need to be sure it's correct for your application
I have put it onto my bike and tried it up and down the street but that's all so far

20200420_110417.jpg

Here is my original battery

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
check the dimensions and pictures but if you bike is the v1 or v2 version then the yosepower one is a perfect replacement. I got recently for my crossfire-e works great, the only difference is that the display doesn't show percent battery remaining, just shows the battery bars on the left of the display

or get it via aliexpress for about £170 with a fee free card and using store discount codes. It gets shipped from the same supplier from germany

US $215.49 67%OFF | YOSE POWER Phylion Battery 11.6Ah 36V 18650 Lithium Battery Down Tube E bike Battery for Phylion SF-06,Joycube JCEB360-11.6

Last edited:

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I have a Carrera Vulcan E bike from 2018. I've noticed recently the battery isn't lasting as half as long as it used to, so obviously it's on it's way out !
Looking at a replacement Halfords want £385 which I find shocking ? It's not even showing in stock.

Any one know if these batteries can be re-celled or replaced with an alternative ? I don't want to give Halford a penny more after having so many problems with this bike. I don't want to sell it on with a dodgy battery, but at the same time I don't want to scrap it considering I spent £1200 on this bike 3-4 years ago, so looking at options...
Whoa! Not so fast. This cold weather reduces battery miles by up to half, same as an electric car. I myself am down to 30 miles but in the Summer it’s 50 miles easily.
wait a couple of months before you write the battery off or get more miles.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Whoa! Not so fast. This cold weather reduces battery miles by up to half, same as an electric car. I myself am down to 30 miles but in the Summer it’s 50 miles easily.
wait a couple of months before you write the battery off or get more miles.
Have you tried a battery warmer?
A friend made one from the hand/foot warmers powered by USB from the battery, then insulated the whole battery. He estimated that it made a 10% difference, with only a small heat pad.

Reactions: artspeck

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
Thanks all. A few good options there. I'll probably enquire about re-cell first and then if that isn't possible look for the Yose power.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks all. A few good options there. I'll probably enquire about re-cell first and then if that isn't possible look for the Yose power.
I suspect the recell option will be close to twice the price of the new Yosepower battery. let us know how you get on

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I suspect the recell option will be close to twice the price of the new Yosepower battery. let us know how you get on
I would be interested to know know the cost too. The battery I linked to is currently £165 plus shipping (mine was £16) but they say its a limited time offer.
link
I also have a frog type battery which is almost unused but has been stored, if it is fading away I want to consider the options for renewal, but I'm expecting re cell to be the expensive option.

Perhaps it would be an idea to bring the battery indoors for 24 hrs prior to riding it and see how it performed.

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
I've had confirmation from the battery 'recelling' folk that they can't recell any of the Halfords type batteries, so I guess that makes the decision a lot clearer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had confirmation from the battery 'recelling' folk that they can't recell any of the Halfords type batteries, so I guess that makes the decision a lot clearer.
In that case some of them must be very non-standard to be unable to be recelled, so be very careful to make sure what you buy is suitable.

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
I did approach two battery re-cellers. Just had a reply from ebikebatteries.co.uk and their quote for replacement cells is £400. Which is the same price as new battery but they can increase power to 13 AH +

They are obviously more skilled than the first company I approached, but was hoping for it to be a little cheaper than £400.

I also need a new crank sensor. it snaped the other day when the crank got dirty and ceased solid causing the weakest point to break first, the plastic notches on the sensor. I'm on my 3rd sensor.

I am really weighhing up if I want to spend anymore on this bike or just sell it for spares.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
That's a shame, I don't think the crank sensors are expensive, but the re cell sounds like a none starter.
Looks like the new battery and crank sensor would be the best option give it a new lease of life for under £200, if you wanted to go that far.