Battery upgrade advice needed

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks to everyone who responded. Esp d8veh for letting me know that I'd need to change the controller if I upped the voltage. Changing the controller might place me out of my depth... there's an awful lot of wires & if they aren't a perfect match for my existing controller I'd be screwed! Also I forgot to mention my bike is a 200w model (I assume that means a 200w motor) and the lowest wattage I've seen for a 48v controller is 350w.

Despite differing opinions on which technology I should use, the consensus appears to be that switching to Lithium won't cause any complications (apart from wallet shrinkage) so thanks for all the advice.

I think I'm going to plump for a Ping because of his general reputation. I'd like the 20Ah unit but I'm thinking 15Ah on cost grounds.... Does anybody think that this WON'T be sufficient for getting me to work (6miles on level, 0.75 miles moderate climb) & back again?

Anybody who owns a Ping battery, what sort of terminals does it have?
My current pack (pictured) just has wires soldered to drilled tabs. It also has a reset button in the circuit - anybody know what that is for?

Wow look at those big batteries..I bet they can provide a lot of current.. they still use these SLA batteries in a lot of mobility transport vehicles don't they..

I don't know about Ping battery's but mine (also from China) have IEC connectors (kettle/PC type) on them so you can just make up a cable with a female IEC or put one directly onto your controller power leads if it's long enough, without needing to solder.

pjvenner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2011
Wow look at those big batteries..I bet they can provide a lot of current.. they still use these SLA batteries in a lot of mobility transport vehicles don't they..

I don't know about Ping battery's but mine (also from China) have IEC connectors (kettle/PC type) on them so you can just make up a cable with a female IEC or put one directly onto your controller power leads if it's long enough, without needing to solder.
IEC connectors ON the battery? & charger too? That could work for me. The charging port on the bike & battery box is IEC - You can see the reverse of the battery box inlet/outlet in the picture. What make are yours? I'll have to see if they do a higher rated version.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Judging by my bike, and battery, technically it isn't an IEC (kettle) connector at all and wouldn't mate with it.

The reason is the centre pin is the other way round.

Code:
       IEC:      
                    |   |
                      |    

E-bike:              
                    |   |
                      _
At least it stops people connecting the bike/battery directly to the mains!