Battery Welder

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A friend of mine bought a used electric bike as a project that had a 24v battery that was knackered. The battery was an unusual shape and it had pouch cells in it. He re-celled it using modern 18650s and is happy with the results.

he used this welder that comes as a self-assembly kit to weld the nickel strips, and he said it worked very well. He used slotted nickel strip that I advised him to get from Nkon. I think the slots help a lot to get good welds. He also used ring insulators and other insulators plus heatshrink from Nkon. he had never done anything like this before, but he does have good general practical skills.

Reactions: gsm.terra

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
You would have to tread carefully with that little device though, the reviews didn't look to good.
There's quite a few small devices like that coming out of China these days, I've seen them going for £15.

Reactions: gsm.terra

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You would have to tread carefully with that little device though, the reviews didn't look to good.
There's quite a few small devices like that coming out of China these days, I've seen them going for £15.
The £30 one includes the battery, which is a high current lipo. The £15 ones are without battery. I was put off by the online reviews, but you don't know whether these guys have a clue what they're doing, and I bet they didn't use slotted strip, which is important. I now have a review from someone I trust. He made his battery and he's using it on his bike. He's happy with the results.

Reactions: dwvl and gsm.terra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not sure if the last row posts are spam or not, if not then there is no chance to spot weld with those welders.

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Not sure if the last row posts are spam or not, if not then there is no chance to spot weld with those welders.
Deleted. Thanks to everyone for continuing to report posts like this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm sure if the posts are genuine the poster may re -post. Though to me they appeared to be spam simply latching on to this battery welder thread.
The two linked industrial type car welders would simply blow lithium cells apart and cause possible serious issues, so worth pulling them up as spam as no one would seriously consider posting such rubbish.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Dave, not feeling guilty at all about reporting as I do so when I see any suspect post that detracts from threads.
Main reason was in the interest for safety as someone with no or little knowledge may try going that route and as we know now and then a new poster mentions going down the self build battery route.