bbs01 advice improving a high torque setting

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
im generally happy with the bbs01 350w PAS set up. 5 levels (100% Keep Current). i only really use PAS4 80% current 80% motor speed. hills PAS5 100% both (low gear of course). the only time i use 3 ,70% both is when im low on battery or im on bumpy ground and 4 is too fast.

recently ive thought there may be better programming for this lower speed rough ground stuff. i could use the unused PAS1,2 for this. i know the faster the motor rpm the less torque it produces ,but less heat. Would it be safe to program a high current combined with low motor speed for higher torque? and if so can anyone give me some pointers.at the moment PAS 1 set at 50% both and PAS2 60% both.

i use gears in the mid range when bumping around at probably no more than 10mph . im worried i may set a parameter that would strain the controller. for example current 80% speed 40%.thanks to anyone ,that understands this aspect of programming better and can help.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
On my off road bike I used the lekkie 36 chain ring and a 21 on the alfine 8 on the rear keep current is set to 95% and the first three settings on the pas [I use 9 levels ]are set to 100% current 20 amps [350watt] and 35 %/40% /50% of speed it tops out about 25mph but will climb all day but have to back off the power to change gear

Reactions: minexplorer

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My BBS01 I set PAS 1-5 @ 20/35/50/65/80 % current & 100% speed for 5 levels of differing low/med torque and high speed for flat terrain.

PAS 6 - 9 100% current & 30/40/50/60% speed for high torque and slow speed for inclines for off road.

Playing with settings is down to what ever suits you along with the KC.

Reactions: minexplorer

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
thanks guys ,so youve never had any issues with pairing low motor speed with high current. you both mention using this for climbing.what i understood was high current with high motor speed AND lower gears were essential for keeping the mosfets happy when climbing. i was thinking more of using the higher torque settings u mention for rough offroad rather than hill climbing as such ,but youve not found any overheating with hill climbing?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The settings I use are off road more than uphill, think trials bike yes it can get warmer [slightly] but the lower overall gearing was the aim. The motor is in the sweet spot and the power delivery is instant no bogging down the hardest part is getting the power down with out wheel spin

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
The settings I use are off road more than uphill, think trials bike yes it can get warmer [slightly] but the lower overall gearing was the aim. The motor is in the sweet spot and the power delivery is instant no bogging down the hardest part is getting the power down with out wheel spin
thanks peter ill try this out.might as well use the two lower PAS slots for something.