BBS01 Cube SL Road Pro conversion and long distance commuting

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I have a 10s balance charger I use at home, charging to 41V, and a standard 36V ebike charger I use at work that I've also turned down to 41V. I have a BMS I could fit to the pack but haven't, and I'm not sure I will. The balance charger can do much more than a BMS can, and the PF cells are a very safe and stable chemistry.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One bike I like is the Cube Curve or Nature Pro fairly identical to the SL Pro except with front sus, might be quite good as a quick road, light trail bike with the Oxy CST kit and get better mileage/distance than I'm getting off road.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I think they would be excellent. I looked long and hard at the Nature and Nature Pro when picking a bike for conversion, and for touring and trekking they would work really well. In the end I picked the SL Road Pro for this conversion as it's 2.5kg lighter and the geometry is different - the Nature / Curve are very upright bikes. I'd still like to try one, and maybe in a couple of years when mine wears out ... Mind you, how's your AMS working out?

I think Cube have done very well this year. Whilst their bikes have always been good quality they have dropped the prices significantly with the introduction of the 2015 range, making them very competitive.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Despite a few teething issues the bike felt great much better ride and feel then my Mtrax 5.0 carbon, IMHO the BBS is a much better option for an offroad bike then the Oxy kit. However I feel the Oxy kit would be better on a touring/trail bike like the Nature where the speed can be kept higher thus not engaging the pas constantly this would then give better range.

I would be sorely tempted to try a Nature or Curve with the the CST coupled to a BMSB intergrated 20a controller kit which has the LCD3, then I could use my two 15ah batteries with it as I have a spare battery cradle, like my Cube mtb it would make a nice tidy conversion.

Last edited:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
2,500 mile review

The bike's now clocked over to 2,500 miles so time for another update.

BBS01
The BBS01 hasn't skipped a beat. Pretty faultless, really. I'm using it on a mix of assist 2 and 3 (out of 5) and it's just doing exactly what is asked of it. In a way I'd be happy to trade some power for a reduction in weight, but then the bike overall only weighs 18kg and I probably wouldn't notice if it were any lighter. It's been out in some good rain and hasn't demonstrated any issues at all, which bodes well for the winter. The slight buzz I mentioned in the 1,000 mile review certainly hasn't got any louder - in fact I think I'd say it has pretty much gone away.

Battery still works perfectly, nothing else really to say. The cells keep completely in balance even without a BMS - they are perfectly matched.

Bike
The Cube SL Road Pro continues to be great at fast commuting. It is also proving to be a good mix of components - money spent where necessary, but cheaper components where they are good enough. This latter point is proving to be useful where wear and tear and maintenance is concerned. I've replaced the chain at 2,000 miles - replacements are around the £8 mark. I've bought a rear cassette at £10 but haven't had to change it yet. Even a new Sora rear derailleur is only £16. For high mileage cycling this cost-effective maintenance could dramatically lower the cost of ownership.

Ancillaries
Tyres - I bought 4 more when they were on offer at the ridiculous price of £10 each which might have been a bit premature - because they are showing no signs of wearing out yet! I can't fault them for my sort of journeys. They've only really let go once which was due to me being too heavy on the front brake mid corner when faced with two stationary cars blocking the road - my fault for going too fast when I can't see. I had my first puncture at 2,400 miles which is pretty good going too.

The Ergon GP3 grips are great. They are so comfortable and I haven't felt any numbness or tingling at all, which wasn't the case when riding my drop bar road bike. As mentioned before, the Cube saddle is also very good. It's much better than the Specialized Avatar on the road bike I had before.

Overall the bike is continuing to exceed expectations - although I guess my expectations are now being raised! I'm using the bike pretty much every day when I'm going to the office so it's doing about 200 miles per week when I'm there. The only real exceptions are when I'm away or a couple of weeks recuperating after coming off!

Michael

The bike path I need to navigate by the A3

So much nicer on the bike than on the M25!

The bike path again, before the council cleared the verges

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Still looks the biz Michael, apart from the discreet BBS no will hardly know.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
"Ancillaries
Tyres - I bought 4 more when they were on offer at the ridiculous price of £10"

Where did you get the tyres so cheap from?

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
It was Planet X (or On One - they are the same). I've just checked and they are sold out of all sizes at the moment. They seem to get some in and sell them off at this great price and then not have any for a while. Wiggle have them for £30 but they only have the 32mm or 35mm, not the 38/40mm.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It was Planet X (or On One - they are the same). I've just checked and they are sold out of all sizes at the moment. They seem to get some in and sell them off at this great price and then not have any for a while. Wiggle have them for £30 but they only have the 32mm or 35mm, not the 38/40mm.
I love planet x and on one

I always check there first before I buy anything. Their prices are often unbelievably cheap

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
4,000 mile review

The bike's well and truly a winter commuter now - it's grown mudguards and lights, and the saddlepack has been changed for a pair of small panniers (for the required winter waterproofs and clothing). The battery pack lives at the bottom of one of the panniers.

BBS01
Hasn't been at all fazed by the wet and cold and still runs well. Recently it developed a bit of a squeak per pedal revolution and I thought the main crank bearings might need regreasing so took out the crankshaft and bearings, cleaned and regreased them. No wear to see on the crankshaft at all. I damaged one of the needle roller bearings hitting it too hard to get it back in, but fortunately I had a spare (note to self - make sure they are properly aligned and then they don't take much to go in!). The slight creak remains - I don't think it's the pedals, but previously I traced a creak to my clipless shoe ...

The only slight annoyance is the odometer reset itself to zero one day at work (at about 3,220 miles). It wasn't a loss of power as the trip computer and clock both maintained their setting, so no idea what caused that. Incidentally the clock gains a few seconds per day.

Battery
The cells are still exactly in balance. This is after 200 charges ranging from half to three quarter capacity, and no BMS. The Panasonic NCR18650PF batteries are closely related to the ones Tesla uses and they seem to be extremely robust and stable.

Maintenance parts
  • 2,000 miles - new chain (KMC X9-73, £7.99)
  • 3,000 miles - new front brake pads (Clarks Organic, £2.99 I think. They squeak like mad in the wet!)
  • 3,900 miles - new crank needle roller bearing (£13.24 - my own fault as I damaged the old one as above)
That's it. Well, and a couple of inner tubes for punctures.

Other modifications
  • Mudguards - SKS Bluemels Primus 45 (unfortunately not available in the UK but bought from Germany).
  • Rack - Tortec Velocity Hybrid
  • Panniers - Altura Dryline 32 (I've had a pair for years and know how good they are)
  • Lights: Front - own design twin Cree XM-L lightheads, dipped beam design
    Rear - own design triple red Cree XP-E under saddle, plus Cateye reflector / light on rack
    Light power - Hobbyking 20A BEC to provide 7V output (at up to 20A) from the main 10S ebike battery
Final thoughts. The bike's using more battery capacity per journey now, probably for a number of reasons (25W or so for powering lights, colder conditions, panniers etc. are less streamlined and quite a bit heavier, and I'm dressed in more clobber so not providing as much power myself. The Cube is performing admirably, completely fulfilling its brief and it's great fun commuting and avoiding all the traffic.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Yes, it's one I welded together myself from Panasonic NCR18650PF cells, 10s4P giving 11.6Ah. Here was a snap at the time, but I've since rerouted the sense wires as I say so they no longer run over the top but around the side.
Nice bike,but this just steps it up another gear.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Great review. How do you get the front lights beam to dip like that?
By firing the LED light downwards into a parabolic reflector from just behind the focal point of the reflector, like this:

I did a little investigation into road light design a while back and trialled various methods. The build thread for the lights themselves is here at mtbr.com (which has a good subforum for DIY lights). They've been in regular use for four years now, but I've had to modify them slightly for this bike (mounting above the handlebar rather than below).

Michael

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
Excellent write up and build. May I ask what saddle pack that is and whether you'd recommend? Adequate thigh clearance?
Thanks
Bill in Exeter

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Excellent write up and build. May I ask what saddle pack that is and whether you'd recommend? Adequate thigh clearance?
Thanks
Bill in Exeter
If you are thinking of one of those, consider swing.

A lot of them move from side to side when loaded.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
The saddlepack is by Apidura, and I got the large one. No problems with thigh clearance and it's very well made. They make a lot of bikepacking luggage - lightweight trekking gear.

Although the material is waterproof the seams aren't sealed so I sealed them myself which was a bit of a game. And RobF is right - it does swing a bit if you're out of the saddle (honking). Not if you remain seated though.

As I say, I've gone back to a slim rack and small panniers for the winter. Will I go back to the saddlepack next summer? Who knows!

Michael

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The saddlepack is by Apidura, and I got the large one. No problems with thigh clearance and it's very well made. They make a lot of bikepacking luggage - lightweight trekking gear.

Although the material is waterproof the seams aren't sealed so I sealed them myself which was a bit of a game. And RobF is right - it does swing a bit if you're out of the saddle (honking). Not if you remain seated though.

As I say, I've gone back to a slim rack and small panniers for the winter. Will I go back to the saddlepack next summer? Who knows!

Michael
Shaped, waterproof liners are available.

Sold out in this link, but I'm sure you get the idea.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-tapered

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
5,000 mile review

So, clocked over to 5,000 miles just before its first anniversary. I haven't used it so much over the last three months due to the weather and needing to do some maintenance work, but am back using it daily again now. The bike's definitely in its winter plumage at the moment.

BBS01
Continues to behave faultlessly. Nothing more to add that I haven't already said.

Bike
The Cube's still performing very well. I've had to carry out a bit of maintenance work after I fell off again, and at the 5k mile point it was high time I gave it a bit of a service! I replaced the rear derailleur and derailleur hanger, chain and sprockets, rear brake pads and gear cable. I should replace the tyres too, as they are beginning to look rather worn and have a definite shoulder in their profile.

The SKS Bluemels Primus mudguards are both good and bad. On the whole they are good, but (and it's a big but) the rear one failed through fatigue after only about 3 months' usage. It only has one set of stays which were horizontal at the back, so the majority of the mudguard from the bridge backwards bounces up and down as there's no vertical support. The bridge mount is of course solid, so eventually the mudguard simply snapped through fatigue at that point. I've since used another mount to attach the remaining part of the mudguard to the rack I have and am not using any stays, and it's far better although a bit shorter! However it no longer reaches down to the motor, so the motor's getting a bit more muddy.

Incidentally, for fans of the chain maintenance debate, the first chain (KMC X9-73 as fitted from new) lasted 2,000 miles throughout the summer and was lubricated exclusively with Muc-Off dry lube. The second chain, an identical KMC X9-73 has lasted 3,000 miles through the thick of winter being lubricated only with GT-85 (a quick spray at the end of each day). Indeed it showed no signs of skipping unlike the first, but I replaced it and the sprockets anyway as I was replacing the rear mech so had to split the chain.

Maintenance parts
4,800 miles
  • Chain - Shimano Deore HG53 (£6.49)
  • Rear mech - Shimano Sora long cage (£14.99)
  • Rear mech hanger - Cube 10148 (£12.99)
  • New sprockets - Shimano Alivio HG300 11-32 (£9.99)
  • Rear brake pads - Clarks M515-M525 Elite semi-metallic (£4.89 - love these!)
  • Rear mech cable - Clarks Universal Bike Gear Cable (£1.99)
This last list is showing how well thought out the SL Road Pro is. They have spent money where needed (good frame etc.) and the components are wisely chosen, good quality but very cost-effective. All the consumables are cheap to buy so running costs are not high at all.

On to the next 5,000 miles - come on spring and summer!