bbs01, cyclone or none at all?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I am certainly not a lycra man! I am more a casual-shoe-SPD, cargo trousers and a cycle jacket kind of man :)

I guess I could always go the cheaper route and use a PAS and then upgrade further down the line if I felt the need.

d8veh - is the xiongda hub 32H or 36H?
I would have thought SPD made you a lycra man in that analogy. I use them as well but I used to wear lycra on my road bikes years ago too, and used Look system pedals then. But I only wear lycra padded shorts under rugby shorts now so that doesn’t count.

Maybe he should update it to clipless pedals and standard pedals?

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
haha. I use SPD because of the solid contact with the pedal in all weather and because of the solid base of the shoe to allow maximum energy transfer to the cranks. However I use the 661 SPD shoes as they look like skate shoes which is more my style ;-) Lycra is a step too far for me...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What's wrong with the LIDIL Spd shoes then?
And you can see I'm old fat and lycra .

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
haha. I use SPD because of the solid contact with the pedal in all weather and because of the solid base of the shoe to allow maximum energy transfer to the cranks. However I use the 661 SPD shoes as they look like skate shoes which is more my style ;-) Lycra is a step too far for me...
My point really. Lycra or not if you are interested in maximum energy transfer to the cranks then TS might well be more to your taste than a sort of low speed motor bike.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
lidl spd shoes are fine, good shoes for the price to be fair had a couple of them. I'm joking more than being serious about all of this lycra business to be honest! if that's what people like to wear then go for it, I don't judge ;-)

I see JohnCade. I will read into it. Need to find some reasonably priced options too.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's a way of splitting people into those who cycle! Who are interested in the bike and the way you travel and those who want to get someplace and could just as well use a moped.
Lycra or SPD,s or jeans and shopping basket?
Throttle or T sensor?

Reactions: trex

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi handbaked

Since you are fit, fairly light and a keen cyclist, why not consider a light weight, low powered set up like Cytronex?

http://www.cytronex.com

If that approach appealed to you, you could do it yourself using a Tongxin or another small motor (eg q100) - there are plenty of examples of conversions using them on this site.

This would not give you effortless hill climbing, but it would give a good riding experience and may, I stress may, give as much assistance as you personally need.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The only 250w hub motor that I know that can do that is the 36v Xiongda, but you have to go up to 44v or 48v battery. You're kidding yourself if you think that a 250w BBS01 can get up a 20% hill without pedalling unless you reprogram the controller and have a ridiculously large first gear. I tried a standard one with standard gearing (30T rear) and it couldn't get me up our 14% test hill. I guess if you're 60kg or less, you might have a chance too, but then a hub-motor would also have a better chance. Riding the BBS01 side-by-side with a guy the same weight and level of fitness as me on a bike with a 500w BPM round our hilly 22 mile regular circuit, we both used approximately the same amount of watt-hours, which surprised me too. It's only when you do tests like that that you get a true comparison. In fact, we've tested a whole load of motors around this circuit, and there's very little difference in consumption when you ride side-by-side. Draw your own conclusions from that.
I weigh 70 kg the trike is 19.5 kg with batteries, it will climb a 20% hill without pedalling.
I also climb a 12.5% average hill with upto 20% ramps without even using low gear every ride, I have posted the Strava profile before.
The trike has 20" drive wheel, 11 to 32 tooth cassette and the standard BBS01 ring up front.
The ability to get the max efficiency depends on the rider using the CD as you would for a rider who is a spinner ie don't load the CD down keep it spinning fast, my Wh improved every ride for the first 3 or 4 as I got more familiar with the motors prefered rpm range, if you let it load up its efficiency plummets, which may explain the different results.

No 250w hub I have ridden would come close to climbing the hills described above without pedalling and have had top speeds of 20 to 25 kph at rated voltages.

D

Deleted member 4366

Well, of course if you gear down by using a 20" wheel you can get better climbing, but then you lose top speed. Tell me if this is correct:

BBS01 maximum speed is 90 rpm
Front chainwheel is 46T, so 11T rear spins 20" wheel at 376 rpm
376 rpm for a 20" wheel is 21.6 mph or 34.5 km/h.

That's the maximum speed the wheel can spin, but with virtually no torque. Maximum power comes at 60 rpm. After that, it drops off rapidly to zero at 90 rpm, which would mean it could only maintain a speed of something less than 30 km/h. That's in a flat indoor velodrome. Is that correct, or have I done my sums wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Well, of course if you gear down by using a 20" wheel you can get better climbing, but then you lose top speed. Tell me if this is correct:

BBS01 maximum speed is 90 rpm
Front chainwheel is 46T, so 11T rear spins 20" wheel at 376 rpm
376 rpm for a 20" wheel is 21.6 mph or 34.5 km/h.

That's the maximum speed the wheel can spin, but with virtually no torque. Maximum power comes at 60 rpm. After that, it drops off rapidly to zero at 90 rpm, which would mean it could only maintain a speed of something less than 30 km/h. That's in a flat indoor velodrome. Is that correct, or have I done my sums wrong?
Same sums I did and similar speed to what I expected, but in the real world the speedo and my gps both agree that the top speed on the flat is 37~40 kph, I initially assumed an inaccurate speedo thus why I used the gps.
My trike is aerodynamically very clean as it is a racing machine and running racing slicks but obviously the max rpm of the BBS01 is higher than stated.

D

Deleted member 4366

My trike is aerodynamically very clean as it is a racing machine and running racing slicks but obviously the max rpm of the BBS01 is higher than stated.
You should have put your comments into this context in your earlier post, otherwise people might be misled in making their decisions. The BBS01 would be a good choice for a vehicle like yours, but it's different for your average MTB, which would be lucky to average 15 mph.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I doubt that speed is the determining factor in choosing the BBS01 250W. Because if it does, you only have to select a more powerful unit, 350W for 18-22mph average, 500W for 22-25mph and 750W after that.