BBS01 error code 30 what now?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
well having got to 1060 miles on my bbs01 I was about to do a glowing review when....
Turning on gives me error code 30, this is a communication error. Well all plugs were fine, no crashes prior to message, cables In place, not over crimped. So that leaves failure in controller or display. Circa £60 to replace either or £340 for the whole kit from woosh? What do I do? Hole hog replacement, or order the parts?
Perhaps their is a better system than the BBS, one with torque sensor perhaps?

Any advice chaps?
Note I was content to stay legal and didn't change the factory settings as supplied as it was fast enough and low power drain too. Only two things were the speed sensor went duff above 34mph, on a 19' wheel and no torque sensor. :(

D

Deleted member 4366

IIRC, that's the code I had when my hall sensor connector was not making a good connection. To get at it you need to remove the controller, which is that bulge on the front side of the motor held on by three screws. I removed the chainwheel to get at it. Push the connector in as hard as you can. Test it with the controller hanging.

Edit: delete that, it was code 08. Code 30 means communication with the LCD.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Worth pulling all the connectors with the battery off, then reconnecting them again. Read on Endless Sphere that doing this has cleared some issues, but can't remember which codes.

Reactions: D8ve

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It there is anyone within 50 miles or so of Bristol I would love to try a quick swap test. .??
Please pm me. Beer and thanks on offer.
I have tried power off dis the confections and reboot no luck thr system boots pauses and then error 30

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Fleabay has come up with the 965 controller new for £32. Let's see if that sorts it :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ok display d'oh ( message to self get it right you idiot)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ok display d'oh ( message to self get it right you idiot)
Ok lol. Just that if someone is selling controllers for only 32 quid new, then I would buy a spare just in case. My replacement cost something like 90 quid :eek:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It was a I got the colour DPC14 so dint need the standard that came with the kit, so sell on eBay chance buy. If I need a controller then perhaps a whole kit with all the spares ? Or a bargain bike with duff battery?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If I need a controller then perhaps a whole kit with all the spares ? Or a bargain bike with duff battery?
Thing is, I reckon the BBS01/02 mechanicals(correct word?) are pretty reliable, as long as you lube up the final drive with plenty of grease.

It's the controllers that can be problematic. Might be false economy buying a whole kit just for the controller, with the off chance you might use the other components.

Reactions: brightonebikes

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Mechanicals is good enough for me. As I'm not driving the BBS at all hard I was surprised I had any failure, I hope the controller is fine.
But I have no idea why the display should die over the weekend in a dry garage?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As I'm not driving the BBS at all hard I was surprised I had any failure
Yeah, they can be quirky little buggers. Some owners have beat on their units from day one, for thousands of miles without a problem. Others seem to have bought a lemon.

Thing is, if the spares were cheap as chips, then this wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately they're not :(

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Got the 965 display plugged it in and joy My bike flys again.
Back to easy cruising. First thing trip to hospital for 08:00 tomorrow .
A very early checkup

Got the 965 display plugged it in and joy My bike flys again.
Back to easy cruising. First thing trip to hospital for 08:00 tomorrow .
A very early checkup
Good stuff [emoji3]
I guess you've got nothing to lose by having a peek at the faulty one?
If you do, rather than opening up the screen, try opening the control buttons first and look beneath the mini pcb.
Might spot a damaged wire or manky solder or somet?
Happy riding [emoji3]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Good stuff [emoji3]
I guess you've got nothing to lose by having a peek at the faulty one?
If you do, rather than opening up the screen, try opening the control buttons first and look beneath the mini pcb.
Might spot a damaged wire or manky solder or somet?
Happy riding [emoji3]

Given its just a display unit, some one might want to think about a form and function replacement with an arduno ? I hope that's not me as I have lots to do at work..

Reactions: brightonebikes
Given its just a display unit, some one might want to think about a form and function replacement with an arduno ? I hope that's not me as I have lots to do at work..
It's you.