BBS01 kit throttle question

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Hi,
Hopefully, just a quick question.

When using the kit on the highest assistance level (level 3 as I have it set up), pushing the throttle gives the bike an even greater push of power. When the throttle comes off the bike feels a bit restricted.

Can this higher power be released, or is it purposely limited by the motor/controller to prevent over heating or something? I know that you can change the settings to give you 9 levels of assistance but I was under the impression that the 9 was the same as 3 but with more intermediate levels?

Thanks,
Rich

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that is the way the BBS01 and most Chinese e-bikes are programmed. Assist levels you see on the LCD are for pedelec mode, they set levels for the maximum speed, with no limit at the highest level. When you have more levels, the LCD divides the power and speed range into more steps. The throttle delivers 0%-100% power to where you hold it. When the throttle is active, the controller prioritizes the throttle. When you twists off the throttle, the controller tends to decrease power to the same rate as your releasing, slowing down the bike until the throttle is down to zero, then the controller switches over to pedelec control and may accelerate the bike again to its preset speed if the latter is higher than your current speed.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
On my (and others) BBS02 the throttle speed is linked to the pedelec speed and gives,as you say, a bit of a boost.
I find this handy for hillclimbing .
It is possible to reprogram the controller to give full throttle at all times and also to give full power in pedelec mode BUT this will void any warranty.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&hilit=bbs02

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
RichB, Assist levels are different 3 & 9 don't compare. Adjust the assist level in advanced settings to 9 and try peddling through gears, I usually set mine to assist 6 or 7 (prefer 7) and find I don't need throttle unless from stand still or going up an incline.The power at the crank feels quite impressive and with moderate to fast peddling 20+ mph is fairly normal. Using the throttle alone is more impressive in higher assist levels but uses the battery power up much quicker ideal for shorter journeys up to 12 miles, the BBS though is truly a
system that needs peddling. BBS01 18a.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
True..I find myself pedalling a lot more on the BBS02 than on the Dillenger .
Sometimes I am going down a slight hill and suddenly realise I am still pedalling when the bike will actually be picking up speed freewheeling.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
You can program the BBS01 controller but you will need to either purchase a cable or make one up. Programming mine has significantly improved the riding experience.

I have summarised the key information on my blog posting on my conversion. Just search on the page for Programming the Bafang (8Fun) BBS0X Mid-Drive Motor

Andrew