BBS01B: Has anyone limited the throttle to 6km/h?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The slowest I can set the throttle in firmware is an illegal 15km/h. Using Penov's Bafang Config Tool tool, there is no slower option. Has anyone managed to limit the throttle to 6km/h, using any other software?

The only possible way I can see to limit the throttle to 6km/h using Penov's software, is by assigning a PAS level to the throttle (throttle firmware setting) and limiting that to 24% of the top speed of 25km/h, which could be convenient on level 8. I nearly always use level 9, so dropping to level 8 momentarily to get started on steep hills or after a sudden stop if I'm on a high gear, is a workaround. Then it'd be a quick press back to level 9. The throttle would still use level 8, but shouldn't work over 6km/h. Not an ideal solution, and it might not actually work - "By display's command" might have absolute priority over throttle speed limit, and the throttle could still power the bike up to 25km/h. It depends on which has priority over throttle speed limit: the speed limit in the "Designated assist level" (which is a PAS level, on level 8 that'd be set for 24% of 25kmh ie 6kmh) or "Speed limit" on the display (25km/h). I've disconnected the throttle again for now. I'll try the preceding when I have more time.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If the throttle speed limit in the throttle tab is higher than the designated PAS level speed limit, then the throttle tab speed limit is used.

Hurry up legalisation of throttles up to 25km/h for pedelecs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/em7ogs

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Using Notepad++ , I inspected the .el configuration files, which can be saved using the tool, to see if the speed limit could be altered by editing the file to load back into the Bafang Configuration Tool... but unfortunately, the relevant parameter is set in the Open Source code variable by the "Speed limit" dropdown menu item object triggered event...

...and is not a throttle speed limit value which can be set simply editing an .el file. For instance, in the right image in post#2, the dropdown selection box displays 15km/h, which is is "1", 16km/h is "2" etc. Thus the line with the relevant parameter in the .el file is a represention of throttle speed limits, which is defined within the code.

[Throttle Handle]
SV=11
EV=35
MODE=0
DA=4
SL=3
SC=20

In the above .el file file segment, "SL=3" = Speed limit = 17km/h. Making SL = 0, sets it to "By Display's Command", which is the first entry in the dropdown box object. Entering minus values results in a completely empty dropdown box option - who knows what'd happen if I flashed using that? :eek: I'm guessing the throttle speed limit will be unchanged - if the controller isn't bricked. I'd try -9 for 6km/h, if there wasn't a blank selection in the dropdown box object, which strongly suggests negative numerical values won't work, because "edThrSpeedLim: TComboBox".

If not set by the TComboBox, it's probably just an array I'd have to make larger in the Open Source code, to load with additional values for throttle speed limits starting at 6km/h, instead of 15km/h.

I haven't used the programming language (based on PASCAL) which Penov used to create his Bafang Configuration Tool - Delphi - for many years.

Is 15km/h the lowest throttle speed limit that the controller is capable of anyway? This could be why Penov omitted lower throttle speed limits. Therefore it's uknown if there is any point in buying the somewhat pricey Delphi to compile my own version of the Bafang Configuration Tool, after editing the Open Source code, to attempt to limit the throttle in firmware to a nice UK legal 6km/h - it could be rejected by the controller as a "Out of bounds" parameter, leading to a bricked controller, or the throttle speed limit could remain unchanged.

If someone reading this has Delphi: I am willing to risk my controller, as I have a spare.

Last edited: