BBS02 500w versus BBS01 350w

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Well unless I am missing something, the BBS02 motors that are marked/badged and or stamped on the case as 250w and as long as you have that in the settings and not 350w or 500w and speed is set to 15.5mph Max, then you are street legal.

The motor is obviously designed to cater for different markets, and so long as you have set it to be within the street legal parameters for your region, then all is good.

I have not ordered yet, as I am seeking further clarification on the street legal situation for these 250w marked motors, but it all seems as clear as mud to me!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Rohloff boy, that's about spot on. If the Manufacturer says its 250watts then you as an innocent customer have to assume it is.
If you then tweak it your no longer innocent but it's not obvious unless the times sees you doing 30 without peddling.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep D8ve, I am glad you think the same, as I thought it was just me, I don't intend doing 30mph, I just need a little assistance to getting up the odd hill, and it would be nice to pootle along the flat at around 20mph now and again.

Of course there is also the Throttle issue, but I guess if you can say that you fitted the Throttle pre 2015, then you are home and dry on that legality as well.

The Americans have got the right idea about EBikes 20mph and upto 750w to keep street legal, surely following Brexit UK can go the same way.

We really do live in a nanny state here in the UK.