BBS02 750W Kit Advise

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2020
Hi all, new here with some questions. My main ride has a BBS01 250W but planning on fitting a 750W BBS02 to another bike for use mainly on a private farm. My desire is to keep the bike looking as “normal” as possible as it may get used for short distances on public roads occasionally and I don’t want to draw attention. Also from using the BBS01 it is obvious that even a 750W motor is going to drain a sensibly sized battery quite quickly, otherwise I could of course go even bigger.

Now, the bike is a 9-speed Rockhopper hardtail, which seems a robustly-built bike, but want some opinions on this and what needs to be considered for a 750W? My aim is to get a s/h suspension bike longer term which would make more sense I know.

Is the 9 speed ok or should I fit a 7 with it’s wider chain? Do standard rear wheels and rims cope ok with this level of power? Good, hydraulic brake are already fitted, so that’s covered.

Any words of wisdom or advice gratefully received, thanks

John

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Always thought that the BBS02 was the same case as a BBS01, but with a 49V controller, and that they put in higher current MOSFET's with "750" just being a marketing ploy by some middlemen,

I get 25mph on throttle with a 48V10AH pack on my BBS02 750 kit, purchased in 2016, but if I want to go 30 miles I want to keep it under 15 mph with pedal assist.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Always thought that the BBS02 was the same case as a BBS01, but with a 49V controller, and that they put in higher current MOSFET's with "750" just being a marketing ploy by some middlemen,

I get 25mph on throttle with a 48V10AH pack on my BBS02 750 kit, purchased in 2016, but if I want to go 30 miles I want to keep it under 15 mph with pedal assist.
The BBS02 motor is wider. You can swap the motor and its housing from BBS01 to 02 and vice versa.

Jul 19, 2020
Thanks for that harrys, I am hoping for that kind of speed, any more and you really need a motorbike chassis! How many teeth on the chainring are you running?

With the BBS01 I average about 15mph, pedaling reasonably hard, but that is the average so uphill can be a lot less.

From what I understand the 250 and 350W are the same physically, the 500 and 750W are also the same, but just programmed differently.

Jul 19, 2020
What's the deal with eMTB chains, are they any better, should I use one for this 750W motor?

I am guessing wear will not be any different as chains are the same width for a given gear cluster, but I note unscientifically that a KMC eMTB chain is heavier than a standard so presumably is made slightly more robust?

So back to the original question, do I need to use one?