Help! BBS02 Build help advice needed

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have the BBS02 and here are my thoughts.
1. Gear sensor: it improves the shifting but still not perfect gear changes for me. I am considering using an Alfine rear hub.
2. Gear changes: when I am approaching traffic lights or coming to a steep hill I go down gears (up the cassette). I don't go very fast but it puts less strain on the system, it will not thank you for hammering it all the time. When I am out I see non bikers crunching their gears due to not changing down, it takes a while to do it automatically.
3. Derailleur adjustment screws are Japanese International Standard not the standard Phillips screws we use. You can get away with using a standard screwdriver but it can damage the screws
4. Buy the bearings, I change mine every year, there are videos on YouTube to show you how.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Well it finally arrived and my initial thoughts are it looks well tidier then i imagined, it is also lighter then my fiido d4s which im suprised by.
The only thing i did was take it round the block a few times went through each of the 9 pedal assist modes not as fast as i imagined it was going to be but i have done nothing in the settings i will have to suss out what the display is first, it does have a gear sensor fitted although i never changed gears as i was a bit overwhelmed and mainly concentrating on getting used to a new ride and not dying. That initial jolt of power you get when engaging the throttle was new to me while feeling the torqueyness made me smile and had me thinking about conquering that hill i think its something i will look into trying to smooth out though.
Respect to my buddy who built it he seems to have a done a good job, he went through the gears to show me where it slipped off, i definitely need to get that sorted i will give my lbs a try. when i took my fiido to them to swap out the tyres for scwhalbe big ben plus and to have all the spokes on back wheel rebuilt with stronger ones they initially moaned about working on an elecrtic bike but did a great job for me in the end so fingers crossed.
My buddy did say he wasnt happy that it wasnt perfect and he hadnt put my requested kickstand on but to try it out for a week or two and let him know about that anything that niggles me and he will sort it.
Also my first experience of hydraulic brakes wow theyre awsome.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That initial jolt of power you get when engaging the throttle was new to me while feeling the torqueyness made me smile and had me thinking about conquering that hill i think its something i will look into trying to smooth out though.
That initial jot made it difficult to make U-turns using my BBS01B conversion, but that and other niggles can be squashed:

I almost demanded a refund... but after programming, my BBS01B is nigh on perfect (for me anyway).

BTW, I'm curious to know how many times your friend has charged the battery over the past 3 years, and how often.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
That initial jot made it difficult to make U-turns using my BBS01B conversion, but that and other niggles can be squashed:

I almost demanded a refund... but after programming, my BBS01B is nigh on perfect (for me anyway).

BTW, I'm curious to know how many times your friend has charged the battery over the past 3 years, and how often.
I dont know but he did say in our time together that he was suprised he had no trouble with the battery as your meant to charge it regular.
I was looking at the firmware thread on endless sphere earlier today, i need to get my 2 major niggles sorted first then get a little familiar with the bike then get my head around tweaking software to my liking.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The initial jolt on PAS can be lowered by changing "Start current" from 20% to 10%.

Hills are a breeze with "Keep current" at 100%.

Before changes:

Last edited:
Reactions: egroover

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
BTW Where did you buy your battery from @Jaxter ? Do you have a link? One of our battery boffins can probably tell you what continuous amps your battery is safely capable of producing.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
I dont know but he did say in our time together that he was suprised he had no trouble with the battery as your meant to charge it regular.
I was looking at the firmware thread on endless sphere earlier today, i need to get my 2 major niggles sorted first then get a little familiar with the bike then get my head around tweaking software to my liking.
Thanks for that its the first thing i will be messing with, as for the battery its the
Yosepower 48v 12.5h one im sure i have a 48v 17.5 Hailong battery i brought for the build but he used the one i got as a spare as the bigger battery wouldnt fit in the frame

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Just stuck both batteries on charge, the one attached to the bike (was more or less full) but thought I'd give the Hailong battery some juice to keep it in good nick, the Hailong charger fan is bloody loud, so after my initial disappointment that the smaller battery was fitted, every cloud hey

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Because I wanted to retain my bike's folding capability, my downtube Hailong-like 19.2ah battery is on the rear rack.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
So i was actually being a bit of a wuss about going out on my new bike so i nutted up and got on it today, i started with a few rotations round the block getting used to how the bike handles to changing the gears and getting a feel for the motor and the different pas modes.
After building up my confidence i took a mile trip round to my brothers so he could have a go then back up to my local bike shop £15 and they sorted my slipping gears, so awsome the major niggle sorted, now filled with confidence i headed for the hill dropped down into granny gear pas level 9 and flew up it, hooray. Then i just went dossing testing the bike out and building my confidence, its bloody great runs smooth and fast when needed im more then happy with it im loving it so far.
One thing im not sure what exactly my display is its an intelligent branded one my control panel only has a plus and minus button how do i get into display settings

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One thing im not sure what exactly my display is its an intelligent branded one my control panel only has a plus and minus button how do i get into display settings
???

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
So i was actually being a bit of a wuss about going out on my new bike so i nutted up and got on it today, i started with a few rotations round the block getting used to how the bike handles to changing the gears and getting a feel for the motor and the different pas modes.
After building up my confidence i took a mile trip round to my brothers so he could have a go then back up to my local bike shop £15 and they sorted my slipping gears, so awsome the major niggle sorted, now filled with confidence i headed for the hill dropped down into granny gear pas level 9 and flew up it, hooray. Then i just went dossing testing the bike out and building my confidence, its bloody great runs smooth and fast when needed im more then happy with it im loving it so far.
If you think that's good just wait until you get a programming cable !

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and Jaxter

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
thats not the one the little doohickey with the minus and plus buttons is seperate to the display, although i will check to see if i have a button on the bottom as its a possibility.
Can you upload a photo? Someone here might recognise it. If there's a button marked "i", give that two quick button presses, after the system has been switched on.

Last edited:

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Can you upload a photo? Someone here might recognise it. If there's a button marked "i", give that two quick button presses, after the system has been switched on.
Hi mate, I figured it out it was a double press of the power button to enter the menu, I think the display is a 850c

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi mate, I figured it out it was a double press of the power button to enter the menu, I think the display is a 850c
The default pin is 1919 if you want to go into the hidden ( ... ) menu

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@Jaxter - which provides a better ebiking experience, your Fiido or Bafang conversion?

Deffo get that programming cable.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
@Jaxter - which provides a better ebiking experience, your Fiido or Bafang conversion?

Deffo get that programming cable.
Oh my God, there's no comparison and I say that as a man who loves his d4s it's served me really well for over 2 years never missed a beat, having no suspension it was a bumpy ride on city streets slightly negated by fat arse cushy suspension seat and swapping out the thin tyres for schwalbe big Ben plus, this also made it far heavier though.
The bafang eats up those hills that my fiido would crawl to a snails pace and then need me to peddle like a maniac to get over, but it's on a big carerra centros frame which even with the seat at its lowest I have to lean slightly whilst standing over bike to get my feet flat , so for me right now for cruising and pure fun the bafang, for errands like shopping the fiido as it slips into the shops I go to better.
I am contemplating though trying to sell my fiido and I'd love to try a torque sensing motor so make a utility bike with a Tongsheng, I was looking at the Cannondale adventure bike a Tongsheng married to that fully out fitted with fenders rack basket would be great for running around doing chores, I've no idea about compatibility but if course I'd ask here before committing any dosh.
If I order a bafang programming cable off Amazon are they all compatible?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh my God, there's no comparison and I say that as a man who loves his d4s it's served me really well for over 2 years never missed a beat, having no suspension it was a bumpy ride on city streets slightly negated by fat arse cushy suspension seat and swapping out the thin tyres for schwalbe big Ben plus, this also made it far heavier though.
The bafang eats up those hills that my fiido would crawl to a snails pace and then need me to peddle like a maniac to get over, but it's on a big carerra centros frame which even with the seat at its lowest I have to lean slightly whilst standing over bike to get my feet flat , so for me right now for cruising and pure fun the bafang, for errands like shopping the fiido as it slips into the shops I go to better.
Thanks for that. I've never tried a Fiido or BBS02 - I imagine if my BBS01B was on steroids, it'd be like the BBS02. My BBS01B conquers all hills, but more slowly.

for errands like shopping the fiido as it slips into the shops I go to better.
...and that's the magic of 20" folding bikes :cool: Despite having bought locks, I take my bike in everywhere.

I'd love to try a torque sensing motor so make a utility bike with a Tongsheng,
I haven't seen a folder converted with a TSDZ2. I think mine is the only 20" wheeled BBS01B folding bike conversion on this forum.