BBS02 ERROR CODE 30 - help needed

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Ysterday after a fiew minutes of riding I got an error 30 on the display and the motor cut off.

I have checked all wiring harness and connectors for damage or bent pins.

I have unbpluged all sensors.

I have removed the controller and fited it again.

The result is that nothing has changed.

When I turn on the motor goes for a fiew seconds and cuts off with error 30 on a dispaly.

I did not fit throtle at all.

Please advise me what else can I do.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
6 things can cause error 30: throttle, brake sensors, speed sensor, LCD, 1-4 trunk cable, controller.
try unplugging one item at a time. When you get to the last 3, you'll need help of a friend who has the same kit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem could be anywhere or everywhere in your electric system, so we have to use a bit of reasoning, judgement and analysis to get to the cause. Without additional information, there is virtually no chance of solving your issue.

Electric problems very rarely just appear by chance, so you need to think back to what changed just before the problem started, like a crash or bike fell over, a wet journey, an abnormal load on the motor, maintenace, and things like that.

Have a particular look at cable routing. Did you stress any cables? Did you pull the zip ties too tight?

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
The problem is I don't know anyone with bafang motor in my area :/

Cables look just fine.

Is here anyone from Liverpool?

Day before I was riding in a wet condition but the motor worked fine as usual.
I have used special gel to protect cable connections. Bud ends from battery cable were treated with liquid tape.

Problem appeared after about 30minutes of normal ride.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
How old is the motor? Most BBS01 and 02 are not waterproof, though the B version is better thanthe A. Do you have a throttle?

Last edited:

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I have it only for three moths. Well I heard that they are quite waterproof...
The controller was dry inside.
I did not use a throttle

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have it only for three moths. Well I heard that they are quite waterproof...
The controller was dry inside.
I did not use a throttle
Did not use the throttle but still had it fitted in place? or did not fit it but left the cable end uncapped? if rain gets into the throttle and you havent opened it and sealed the wires to the hall sensor with some silicone. or rain gets in the open end of the cable....these scenarios many, inc me have suffered controller damage.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I did not fit a throttle and a cable end was cupped and properly sealed. I have plugged in throttle for a test and it was working for a few seconds until the error appeared again and the motor cut off.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Ysterday after a fiew minutes of riding I got an error 30 on the display and the motor cut off.

When I turn on the motor goes for a fiew seconds and cuts off with error 30 on a dispaly.

Any signs of life with brakes & speed sensor disconnected?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30 is comms so simply the issue is a failed LCD, trunk cable or controller has a component failure. Most likely the latter due to damp/moisture.

Simple issues like brakes just throw up and easy 'error 5' to sort out.
If you get 12 before hand then definitely a new controller is required.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you get a problem on the 5V rail, like water in the throttle or blown motor hall sensor in it can take out the whole 5V, which will stop the controller to LCD comms and give code 30. To confirm that, you need to measure the 5v on the throttle connector.

If you have 5V, there's a fair chance that a new controller will fix it. If you don't have 5V, you need to find out why.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have used special gel to protect cable connections.
What in the end cap? Is it possible this could cause a short between the pins in the throttle cable, like rain can when uncapped? i mean the pins are kept from touching each other for a reason.When my throttle got wet it caused problems.when i detached it went away. BUT i didnt seal the cable end and more rain then caused damage to the controller shorting the pins.

D8ve on here also had an error 30 and it was the LCD. others have had it caused by the speed sensor faulty.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Check that the wheel spoke magnet is passing close to the speed sensor
What in the end cap? Is it possible this could cause a short between the pins in the throttle cable, like rain can when uncapped?
I had this issue once, and the symptoms were that the motor ran at max. After drying out the throttle connector, the problem resolved itself, but it took me a while to figure out it was due to a drop of water inside the connector.
D8ve on here also had an error 30 and it was the LCD. others have had it caused by the speed sensor faulty.
Might be worth checking the speed sensor magnet is passing close enough to the sensor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the past if a speed signal/sensor error, 21 is the only error I have seen.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall

How are you getting on mark.has any of the advice enabled u to get to the bottom of the problem yet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Error 30 via speed sensor will only occur if the 5v is compromised by moisture.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks a lot guys for all answers!

I am sorry I did not respond sooner but I had sort of family problem so I did not think about my bike and fortum itself.

30 is comms so simply the issue is a failed LCD, trunk cable or controller has a component failure. Most likely the latter due to damp/moisture.

Simple issues like brakes just throw up and easy 'error 5' to sort out.

If you get 12 before hand then definitely a new controller is required.

I had a faulty conntorller befor and accually I had an error 12 before 30 apeared...

This time i did not get 12 at all.

What in the end cap? Is it possible this could cause a short between the pins in the throttle cable, like rain can when uncapped? i mean the pins are kept from touching each other for a reason.When my throttle got wet it caused problems.when i detached it went away. BUT i didnt seal the cable end and more rain then caused damage to the controller shorting the pins.

I used dielectric grease It does not cause a short I am prity sure about that :)

Week ago I took a whole set of a bike I have not been touching it at for 7days. Yesterday I have chcecked an email from eclipse store and they told me to send the controler back to them for a test.

Just before I packed the conntroler I plug everething together and suprisingly all worked well! I turned the motor on with a throttle for an hour (I have done three short breaks) and did not see any error on a display. Today I am takinig a bike for a trip and will see how doeas it go but it seems like the controller is working normaly...

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks a lot guys for all answers!

I am sorry I did not respond sooner but I had sort of family problem so I did not think about my bike and fortum itself.

I had a faulty conntorller befor and accually I had an error 12 before 30 apeared...

This time i did not get 12 at all.

I used dielectric grease It does not cause a short I am prity sure about that :)

Week ago I took a whole set of a bike I have not been touching it at for 7days. Yesterday I have chcecked an email from eclipse store and they told me to send the controler back to them for a test.

Just before I packed the conntroler I plug everething together and suprisingly all worked well! I turned the motor on with a throttle for an hour (I have done three short breaks) and did not see any error on a display. Today I am takinig a bike for a trip and will see how doeas it go but it seems like the controller is working normaly...
I had the worst of the problem caused by rain rectify itself after a few days of drying out too.so thats probably what caused it. in my case tho some permanent damage had been done with no error showing.looks like u have been lucky.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Looks like it was dampness in the throttle or a connection :) I tape all the plugs and glue gun the cables into the motor and a plastic bag over the display if it is raining

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Looks like it was dampness in the throttle or a connection :) I tape all the plugs and glue gun the cables into the motor and a plastic bag over the display if it is raining
Yes i learned the hard way to make sure the hall sensor wires in the throttle are sealed with silicone. And never detach it and leave the cable uncapped which was what finished it off.The displays have never been affected ,no matter how wet they've gotten.so i think they are waterproof. Luckily i was still in warranty. Eclipse replaced the controller after testing it.