BBS02 It Lives!

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
I managed to take my bike out for it's first test ride this afternoon. I was using my reserve battery pack (5.2Ah) as the 10Ah cells are not in stock at Hobbyking at the moment. The battery pack wiring also needs sorting out.

I'm running the two packs in series with low voltage alarms.

First impression. I live close to a hill that is a pain on cold legs. Man, the BBS02 squirts you up the hill with little effort. I was a bit surprised. I don't normally manage 20mph.

The motor is very quiet. I didn't notice how quiet at first, because I couldn't hear it. I'm looking forward to chasing roadies on this one, jeans and panniers flapping.

Gear changes are going to need a bit more work to prevent a damaged chain or cassette. Squeezing the brake lever more or less sorts this out.

My 10 mile ride to work should be pleasant enough. We will see.

That's about it for now. I have no charger at the moment, so need to wait until it arrives before further rides.

Reactions: rippedupno1

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I find the best way to change gear is to stop pedalling or press the throttle for just a split second (assuming you are not already using it) ,this cuts the power but it reconnects a lot faster than using the brake cut out.
I usually go up or down 2 gears at a time on my 7 speed freewheel.

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Kinninvie,

I'll give it a try this afternoon. I'm very pleased with the system so far. It will be interesting to do a longer ride when I get my bigger cells.

Reactions: Kinninvie

Stuart Kellock

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2013
Bristol
Good news on the BBS02, I have been waiting for what feels like forever to get my hands on one of these and very nearly saved up enough.

Any advice on a good place to buy one?

Also I am hoping to put it on my Triobike which has a bucket at the front for my daughter and a kind of awkward frame making it difficult add bottle batteries.

Does anyone know where I could find a trusted supplier of rack mounted batteries that can be safely locked?

Many thanks :)

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
With regards to changing gear I have my rear brake (with power cut off) set up to give me a bit of movement to kill the motor but not actually pull the brake on.
Therefore I can use the rear brake in the same way that I use the clutch on my motor bike. Pull it in a little, change gear and then release to re-engage the power.
As you say, changing gear at full power makes all kinds of horrible noises!!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
You could do a lot worse for gutsy, rack-mounted batteries, than Cyclezee _ I expect he will be along inna minnit ☺

Storapa

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Stuart,
I was dithering about for ages before I went for the BBS02.
I bought mine from BMSbattery. They were very pleasant to deal with and shipped quickly. The live chat was very useful just before I made my purchase.
Good luck with your machine.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you don't wan't to go the China route Woosh sell BBS 01 18a kits or Eclipsebikes who also do BBS02. Eclipse now also do the Hydr brake cut offs with the yellow connectors but will set you back £15 a pair.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh now have the 36V 25A 500W in stock for £359 including postage.
I've got one on loan but a bit fearful for my 8-speed cassette. Will give it a try in a few days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Will be interesting to see how you think it compares to the 15a version trex.