BBS02 waterproofing

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Hi,

I recently bought BBS02 500w 48v from Eclipsebikes and found an issue after two hours of riding in a heavy rain.

I must admit that I did not install a front mudguard so the mottor got pretty wet.

I've got an error code 30 and after a whille code 12.

The bike spend a night getting dry and there is no errors now.

I am going to use my bike in any weather so I need to make it as waterproof as it possible.

Will I manage to do it? Or mid drive was a bad idea and I should have get a hub drive instead?

What do you think about that article:

https://www.electricbike.com/water-proofing-trouble-shooting/

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Do you have a throttle fitted? If so. which one? Most of the problems with the BBS drives seem to originate from water ingress into the throttle, which in turn leads to error codes and controller damage and some seem worse than others. The motor is gonna get wet and is pretty well sealed and the controller is potted, see the photo in your link, so riding in the rain should not be a problem. I guess you could say that hub motors are less exposed, being higher from the ground and the controller is tucked away in a box or bag higher still. Both the error codes are not a good sign on a new motor, code 30 is a comms. error, often connected with Screen failure and code 12 is current sensor abnormality, which can be a sign of controller damage. If you see them again, get in touch with Eclipsebikes.

Reactions: MrMark

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
thanks for quick reply! Yes, I do have a thumb throttle.
I expected the motor is waterproof...

I've done only about 100miles so far. Should't I contact them immediately?

What I supoust to do with the throttle? Disconect it?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
As a temp. measure it may be better to disconnect it, make sure you tape/cover the connector well, as this will cause problems if not waterproof. Post a photo of your throttle when you can and we can advise on maybe replacement or waterproofing it. It may be worth telling Eclipse about the errors you got and see what they advise, then if any other problems arise, they are fore warned.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
ok Its disconnected and the cable is properly sealed. I wrote an email to eclipsebikes too. I attached photos of my throttle.ok Its disconnected and the cable is properly sealed. I wrote an email to eclipsebikes too. I attached photos of my throttle.

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Personally, I've never had trouble with that model of throttle, but others have, so I guess it's a bit of a lottery. You can carefully pull them apart and apply some silicon around the small pcb inside which is usually left rather exposed to water/moisture. If you don't fancy that, this throttle seems to be a better performer and will connect the same way. Comes in left or right.
LH
https://www.greenbikekit.com/accessories/bafang-8fun-spare-parts/8fun-bbs01-bbs02-bbshd-left-hand-thumb-throttle-higo-connector.html
RH
Can't find one at the moment.

Reactions: jarob10

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi,

I recently bought BBS02 500w 48v from Eclipsebikes and found an issue after two hours of riding in a heavy rain.

I must admit that I did not install a front mudguard so the mottor got pretty wet.

I've got an error code 30 and after a whille code 12.

The bike spend a night getting dry and there is no errors now.

I am going to use my bike in any weather so I need to make it as waterproof as it possible.

Will I manage to do it? Or mid drive was a bad idea and I should have get a hub drive instead?

What do you think about that article:

https://www.electricbike.com/water-proofing-trouble-shooting/
pete is dead on the money. i can speak from experience of bbs controller damage from rain getting into that throttle. in the end the issue required a new controller. you havent had things get to that stage yet.ie,pas cutting out under load,solved by removing throttle.motor dying for periods of time sometimes hours or days.make sure that throttle gets the waterproofing treatment pete describes.those three little wires going into the hall sensor must be sealed.read my posts from a year back if u want more info.ironically my bbs was from eclipse(not relevent to the issue tho).
they replaced the throttle which solved things.then after that got soaked had more trouble.removed that but didnt cap the wire...disaster after more rain shorted the cable.eclipse finally tested the controller and replaced as the rain had damaged it via the above mentioned. you can be reassured you wont have any issues with water getting into the controller/motor directly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wrong gearing and labouring the motor is a sure fire way of causing controller damage these motors like free spinning and high cadence.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Wrong gearing and labouring the motor is a sure fire way of causing controller damage these motors like free spinning and high cadence.
It's not the case. I'm very careful with using a proper gear.

Btw does anyone know where I can get an adapter to move my battery a little higher on a frame?

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
It's not the case. I'm very careful with using a proper gear.

Btw does anyone know where I can get an adapter to move my battery a little higher on a frame?
A common thing,finding battery bracket slots dont line up with bottle mounts on frame.the best and easiest solution is to fit a RIV NUT in the frame. the aluminium ones are the easiest for crimping in the hole u drill,with a homemade tool. use the next size up M6 than the M5 s that are the norm.more solid and three fitting points is better for the same reason. You can get them on ebay for pence.google how to make a simple home made riv nut fitting tool.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
A common thing,finding battery bracket slots dont line up with bottle mounts on frame.the best and easiest solution is to fit a RIV NUT in the frame. the aluminium ones are the easiest for crimping in the hole u drill,with a homemade tool. use the next size up M6 than the M5 s that are the norm.more solid and three fitting points is better for the same reason. You can get them on ebay for pence.google how to make a simple home made riv nut fitting tool.
Thanks mate! I will definitely try that.

Does anyone can give me an advice how to protect dpc18 display form water? At the moment I just wrap it with a foil but it's surly not the best solution.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
BBS02 controller is potted, so is waterproof, but the connectors to it aren't. They're very vulnerable to a soaking. That's the connectors in the unsealed controller compartment.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I was riding on a bike without a throttle as normal yesterday and today until a moment ago when I got again an error code 30... Eclipsebikes still did not answer my mail so I sent them another one. I'm pissed of because I cannot work :/

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There use to be an issue with the white hall connector on the controller side, some times it would back out of the block because of to much white silicone in the way. The controller needs unbolting and connector removed along with the sealant before refitting.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
It sounds like something worth of trying. Is there any description of solving that issue? Some pictures or moves would be very useful since I have no experience with mending bafamg motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The job is quite easy with the drive removed from the bike, the controller case is the finned part of the drive on the LHS it is simply attach by the 3 or 4 machine bolts you can see and simply comes off, there is a gasket from recollection. If you remove/undo the controller don't yank t off as the motor wires etc are all plugged in but you will clearly see the white or may even be black jst connector that goes to the main drive unit.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks mate! I will definitely try that.

Does anyone can give me an advice how to protect dpc18 display form water? At the moment I just wrap it with a foil but it's surly not the best solution.
i dont think u need to worry about the displays.mine have all had plenty of rain on them without issue.i opened one up once and they seem waterproofed. eclipse are a small team i believe and take ages to reply so dont worry. that error sounds a little ominous, fingers x nothing too bad has happened yet from that throttle soaking,like i suffered. it may sort itself out.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I got the responce form ecplise. They adviced me to check connectors and unplug and dry everything. So I did it.
But after few short rides motor cut off and does not work. No errors on the display this time.

Also, I have noticed a tugging feeling from spinning the motor backwards that I never noticed before.

I tried to strart the motor with all sensors unpluget but nothing has happend.

I wrote to ecipse again and I am waiting third day for their reply...

I did not open the motor yet because I do not know does it affect my guarantee.

Since motor cut off last time I took everything off my bike and fit my original bottom bracket so I can work like before.

What should I do? Can I open the motor and still be entilted for guarantee?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Prob. best to wait for a reply from Eclipse before you do anything else. Now the motor has stopped working completely, there is a good chance they will replace the controller and prob. ask you to remove the old one.