BBS02 where to grease for service

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
I have a BBS02 mid drive motor that is about time for some service. I read on another thread in here somewhere about service intervals. I have acquired some aeroshell 22 grease but I am not sure what I should be greasing where?

Do I dismantle the motor on the chain ring side or the left?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have a BBS02 mid drive motor that is about time for some service. I read on another thread in here somewhere about service intervals. I have acquired some aeroshell 22 grease but I am not sure what I should be greasing where?

Do I dismantle the motor on the chain ring side or the left?
Are you wanting to grease all the internals, because I just add grease to my final drive every now and then and it's been fine for over 3000 miles?

I haven't even contemplated greasing the nylon cog etc...

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
@Fordulike adding grease to the final drive would be a start. But can you tell me what is the final drive and how to get to it. I presume it is the last cog that drives the BB but how do I get to it?

@tommie thanks for the link great blog.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
iirc one crank comes off, then remove about six small screws that hold the plasticky cover, you`ll then see the metal drive,

Be very careful replacing that plastic cover, you can crack it re-tightening the screws

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You don't even need to remove the crank arm. I move the chain out of the way, unbolt the chainring and move it to the pedal end. Then unscrew the plastic cover and move that to the pedal end too.

Originally, I used an old wet and dry hoover to suck the grease out from the cogs. This was only because I was replacing it with a thicker grease, and didn't want the two to mix.

I use one of those little medical syringes (without the needle :eek:) to inject as much grease into the cog teeth as possible. Then the cover goes back on.

As tommie says above, be careful as it cracks easily. Tighten each screw little bit by little. I tighten one screw on one side, then move across to the opposite side.

Reactions: DocDelete

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
Nice shot brightonebikes. I got the aeroshell 22 which another thread said was ok to use as good as the mobil, it is a different colour though more beige. I guess that is as good.

Reactions: brightonebikes
I pack mine like that too. I was amazed how little grease was in there the first time I did it. Bafang staff must have an aversion to grease lol.
I quite agree. I can't fathom out why the guys at Bafang are so tight with the grease, it's not like it's expensive really?

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

Nice shot brightonebikes. I got the aeroshell 22 which another thread said was ok to use as good as the mobil, it is a different colour though more beige. I guess that is as good.
That'll do nicely :) Well worth checking and refreshing the grease in there every couple to few thousands miles or so.
I blow the old stuff out with an air line whilst holding a rag in front to collect the old gug, the rag really helps to stop it from covering the whole workshop and myself in dirty old grease. :)

DocDelete

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2016
Solihull
There is such a concept as 'too much grease' but that depends on the cold and working viscosity of the grease in question, and the tolerances within the gears. Imagine a sliding scale between too little and too much - maximum grease (ie. packed until no air remained) would impinge movement not aid it. Too much could increase mechanical drag not reduce it ;)

The advice here is good for gears as well as bearings
http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/119954/technology/greasing_bearings___how_much_is_enough63.html

Reactions: brightonebikes
There is such a concept as 'too much grease' but that depends on the cold and working viscosity of the grease in question, and the tolerances within the gears. Imagine a sliding scale between too little and too much - maximum grease (ie. packed until no air remained) would impinge movement not aid it. Too much could increase mechanical drag not reduce it ;)

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/119954/technology/greasing_bearings___how_much_is_enough63.html
Quite agree :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Bafang BBSxx's aren't renowned for tight tolerances. If you open up the final drive side, you'll see what I mean. Plenty of gear slop in there.

I've run my BBS02 with factory measly grease, and the much thicker stuff I've got packed in there now. Not a peep of difference performance wise, but much quieter.