BBSO1B 36V 500W controller?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
any if you can fit it inside but you will need a display to work with it and a batt that can handle the amps.

View attachment 48863
72,000 eRPM? Might that be just the thing to fine tune Bafang rpm pedal assist, for people who prefer a slower cadence? Trousers would catch fire through air friction pedalling at 72,000 rpm.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

150kw 200bhp 10.000rpm top speed depends on the motor winding and motor core size but there all 3 phase motors that will work with any 3rd party controllers.

its getting it to do what you want via the controllers software as depends what you use pas or throttle sensor wise and some are better than others depending what you want.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

150kw 200bhp 10.000rpm top speed depends on the motor winding and motor core size but there all 3 phase motors that will work with any 3rd party controllers.

its getting it to do what you want via the controllers software as depends what you use pas or throttle sensor wise and some are better than others depending what you want.
The electric kit Peel P50 with that motor would go like a stabbed rat

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

that can do 45A non stop but the batt might explode or the motor core might go supernova and demagnetize it and burn out the windings.
Bit dramatic SW :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I'm currently running the 250w 36v legal version and wondered if this thing can be just bolted on.
Yes, I recently fitted a 36v 500w BBS02b controller to my 250w BBS01b motor. Previously the 2016 controller was locked to 15a current, increasing current just threw up an error message. The factory setting of the replacement controller was 24a so I reduced it to 20a and everything works fine. I wouldn't raise it higher, the BBS01 stator is about 20% narrower than the BBS02 and reportedly reaches heat saturation at around 800w.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, I recently fitted a 36v 500w BBS02b controller to my 250w BBS01b motor. Previously the 2016 controller was locked to 15a current, increasing current just threw up an error message. The factory setting of the replacement controller was 24a so I reduced it to 20a and everything works fine. I wouldn't raise it higher, the BBS01 stator is about 20% narrower than the BBS02 and reportedly reaches heat saturation at around 800w.
Thanks for this post, which has me quite suddenly thinking of trying the same, even though I don't actually need more than 15A - my bbs01b controller from greenbikekit accepted 20A as a firmware setting when I tried it temporarily, but I don't recall if I actually disconnected the programming cable to connect the controller to the display, and switched it on and powered up the motor; I'll follow through next time I need to change a firmware setting. What performance improvements have you experienced? Does your motor get noticeably hotter? Does your battery cope? I do hope you'll post regarding problems, should you encounter any.

This is tempting me, but shouldn't be:

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
What performance improvements have you experienced? Does your motor get noticeably hotter? Does your battery cope?
My BBS01b replaces a BBS01a I ran at 18a for 6 years before it expired earlier this summer. Performance at 20a is slightly improved as you might expect, but not enough so you would notice. The main difference may be something to do with the BBS02b controller settings but I can now pedal under power after using the throttle, whereas before on my BBS01a if I used the throttle it would override the PAS and there would be a delay when I resumed pedalling, that delay is now gone. I have a 36v EM3EV super shark battery with Panasonic GA cells with the BMS rated at 25a continuous, 30a max burst current, so at 20a it's drawing power within normal operating limits. The Battery BMS is programmed to trip if cell temperatures reach 60degC during discharge but I haven't yet had it cut out on my commute home, I have a steep climb uphill from a river I cross, by the time I reach the top the motor is warm to touch, I don't have a thermostat in the motor but it doesn't feel hotter than the old motor. I don't plan to raise current above 20a, any more will just generate excess heat that will cook the controller.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Battery BMS is programmed to trip if cell temperatures reach 60degC during discharge
That does sound like a good safety feature - does your battery resume operation after cooling down, or some time period, or do you have to manually reset the BMS?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I run my 36v 250W BBS01b at 15a, and with a 42t front and 11-40t rear cassette I can climb everything I have tried albeit slowly on some very steep hills, but I put into the top 40T 1st gear and spin away
I use to run a 44t front and 11-36t rear and it would struggle a little with the very steepest hills, since switching to 42 front and 11-40t rear it's the sweet spot

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm quite content with performance too - mine manages all of the steep hills I've tried (apart from 45 degree inclines, when it's totally unbalanced, because the battery is on the rear rack) on 52T>32T, but my bbs01b is on a comically small folding bike with 20" wheels and shorter wheelbase, and I've lost a lot of weight. The only rational reason I'd up the amps or/and install a more powerful controller, is if it couldn't cope with heavier uphill trailer hauls. So far, the motor has coped with everything (albeit slowly), despite my loading the trailer with more than the recommnded 50kg trailer weight limit for my QR axle. But I remain curious for irrational reasons, though my young speed demon ways are long gone.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have a 36v EM3EV super shark battery with Panasonic GA cells with the BMS rated at 25a continuous, 30a max burst current
Do EM3EV sell from the UK? Or is it a matter of having to wait for the slow boat from China, with the associated import taxes and fees?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have never paid any import duty for stuff from china but they wont be able to put a batt that size on a plane.

last thing i got that was £270 +pp fee to convert it to dollars :rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i have never paid any import duty for stuff from china but they wont be able to put a batt that size on a plane.

last thing i got that was £270 +pp fee to convert it to dollars :rolleyes:
I wasn't charged import fees for the controller I bought from greenbikekit.com - they've got some way of getting them through without incurring charges. I don't know how they do it, the controller was repackaged and remailed to me, after being delivered somewhere else in the UK. Maybe a chap regularly ferrets orders through as personal items on flights? Or maybe they're strapped around his person, a bbs01b controller mule?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dunno last thing i got was 5kg and got it in 8 days via airmail and no postage charge lol

buy a empty box from the usa and you get hit for everything import wise and crazy postage as well these days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When lookoking for a cell in the 18650 format one needs to do the homework, 3500mah cells are only 10a rated and ok they have good range if deep discharged. If one doesn't deep discharge then cells with mah under 3000 can perform better down to 3.3v per cell more so the high rated current cells.

Less sag with lower mah cells with greater current discharge means they hold the power higher up the volatge range longer and less sag.

One needs to study the graphs and compare the battery discharge curves typically 5a max per cell discharge is the ideal before cell damage may occur with the 10a ones and 5a or less per cell for great perormance from the 2800/2900 cells.

Most of the 3500mah cells are similar MJ1 & 35E the worst performers to 3.3v and p35a & ga equal.
In the 2800/2900 mah cells one cell stands out against all others and it wipes the floor with the moli p35a and sanyo/panny GA at 5 a & 10a discharge to 3.3v. But I will leave you to do your homework to find out which one it is.
With 10a rated cells one should really for good cycle life keep single cell discharge to no more then 70%, 50% being the preferred rate.

Last edited:
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
In the 2800/2900 mah cells one cell stands out against all others and it wipes the floor with the moli p35a and sanyo/panny GA at 5 a & 10a discharge to 3.3v. But I will leave you to do your homework to find out which one it is.
Sounds to me like a lot of Googling for battery graphs is on order, to identify this mystery cell. Thankfully, I have about two years before I'll need one, although it'd be handy to have a spare battery sooner for longer journeys I keep talking about, but never get around to commencing.

Is it sold here?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Spot on the money Guerney.
More mah doesn't guarantee more range unless one likes to thrash battery cells down to 3v.

• Informative

vantage

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2022
Time for an update me thinks. Thanks for all the help so far. I've taken a somewhat different route though.
I've a BBSO2B 48v 750w motor and 20ah battery arriving tomorrow. That'll give my bike a bit more muscle and if I understand correctly, give me a bit more mileage between charges too, especially if I back the amps down a bit too as I don't really need 750w.