bbsxx throttle ,speed or current?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Bbs01b 350w (18amp)Its amazing,after all the years people have been programming the bbs .despite hrs of research i can still find no real answer to this question.

What is the difference between the two choices. Can anyone say for sure what actual improvement one has over the other? Has anyone tried both like me and found it difficult to tell any difference?

Why does every guide say keep start current low,its sooo slow to accelerate.why not 20%,30% or even higher start current.the bafang tool allows max 50%. so surely that wont blow anything in lowish gear ,allowing a more powerful acceleration from standstill.An especially i wonder if it will help counter the delay of power when using a lower PAS on a hill and applying the throttle.

Any opinions welcome.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My understanding is ;
Start current (SC) is for throttle configuring.
Reason is the controller stands a chance of frying quicker if you use a throttle and start current is set to high. Lower SC for a smoother initial start up under throttle otherwise the power surge is too much.

Start control (SC) under PAS is the same , if you use a higher PAS setting you risk the chance of dumping too many amps in one hit and frying the controller . I think the SC in both cases is about the initial amps being applied which is in milli- seconds before more power is then applied.

Not tried speed control over Current as I have always been happy with the Current setting.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
My understanding is ;
Start current (SC) is for throttle configuring.
Reason is the controller stands a chance of frying quicker if you use a throttle and start current is set to high. Lower SC for a smoother initial start up under throttle otherwise the power surge is too much.

Start control (SC) under PAS is the same , if you use a higher PAS setting you risk the chance of dumping too many amps in one hit and frying the controller . I think the SC in both cases is about the initial amps being applied which is in milli- seconds before more power is then applied.

Not tried speed control over Current as I have always been happy with the Current setting.
my reasoning was if the settings allow up to 50% SC for throttle maybe the risks overated.it ramps up so slowly with the bbs01s 18amps.A 30% SC would only be 6amps. Perhaps the higher % is only advisable with the indestructable bbshd?

Im trying to find a way to improve throttle power ,particularly when using PAS and wanting to get a short boost with the throttle.Only to get the delay, loss of speed and finally a slow gutless trickle that just about restores the momentum uve just lost. On my bbshd the throttle instantly takes over from PAS an powers away.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Bbs01b 350w (18amp)Its amazing,after all the years people have been programming the bbs .despite hrs of research i can still find no real answer to this question.

What is the difference between the two choices. Can anyone say for sure what actual improvement one has over the other? Has anyone tried both like me and found it difficult to tell any difference?

Why does every guide say keep start current low,its sooo slow to accelerate.why not 20%,30% or even higher start current.the bafang tool allows max 50%. so surely that wont blow anything in lowish gear ,allowing a more powerful acceleration from standstill.An especially i wonder if it will help counter the delay of power when using a lower PAS on a hill and applying the throttle.

Any opinions welcome.
just tried a cpl tests with the wheel off the ground.speed setting ,the wheel increased speed as i depressed the throttle. no faster response changing SC to 30% from 10%. current setting,wheel instantly went to full speed no matter how slowly i depressed the throttle.again no faster response setting SC to 30%.

Of course this was without riding but gave an idea of the difference,whatever that is when under the load of riding.will try the current mode in practice in the morning.seems no advantage to setting SC above the less stressful 10%. tho that may be different under load.seems as tho current mode will apply full power slightly quicker.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
You won't be able to evaluate the 'current' setting unless the wheel is fully loaded. The reason you're seeing the wheel spin up to full speed with only a little throttle input is because at no-load, there's very little force to overcome.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
You won't be able to evaluate the 'current' setting unless the wheel is fully loaded. The reason you're seeing the wheel spin up to full speed with only a little throttle input is because at no-load, there's very little force to overcome.
what difference in real riding conditions have you found daniel ,between the two options? nowhere can i find an answer. is one more responsive over the other? SC higher or lower any advantage? After using my bbshd a long time and going back to the bbs01 i cant believe how s#it the throttle is.Of course its a lower powered bike but the throttle feels so...well crap basically.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
my reasoning was if the settings allow up to 50% SC for throttle maybe the risks overated.it ramps up so slowly with the bbs01s 18amps.A 30% SC would only be 6amps. Perhaps the higher % is only advisable with the indestructable bbshd?

Im trying to find a way to improve throttle power ,particularly when using PAS and wanting to get a short boost with the throttle.Only to get the delay, loss of speed and finally a slow gutless trickle that just about restores the momentum uve just lost. On my bbshd the throttle instantly takes over from PAS an powers away.
Only way of knowing is set SC to 50% and peg the throttle open under load esp on an incline and see how long the controller lasts.
The guides have generally been written to enable users who re- programme factory settings to prevent early failure from warranty claims or issues, in the most part the settings have most likely been tried and used so that recommended safe values can be used.
With low gearing the likely hood is the controller may be fine but there is always going to be an occasion when gear selection isn't opitimal.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Only way of knowing is set SC to 50% and peg the throttle open under load esp on an incline and see how long the controller lasts.
The guides have generally been written to enable users who re- programme factory settings to prevent early failure from warranty claims or issues, in the most part the settings have most likely been tried and used so that recommended safe values can be used.
With low gearing the likely hood is the controller may be fine but there is always going to be an occasion when gear selection isn't opitimal.
Yes ur probably right neal,i was bringing up the idea of higher SC .But the real issue im trying to find out more on is what works better for throttle use,current or speed and why.No one really seems to know.theres nothing in the guides on programming,that give an answer.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
just tried a cpl tests with the wheel off the ground.speed setting ,the wheel increased speed as i depressed the throttle. no faster response changing SC to 30% from 10%. current setting,wheel instantly went to full speed no matter how slowly i depressed the throttle.again no faster response setting SC to 30%.

Of course this was without riding but gave an idea of the difference,whatever that is when under the load of riding.will try the current mode in practice in the morning.seems no advantage to setting SC above the less stressful 10%. tho that may be different under load.seems as tho current mode will apply full power slightly quicker.
seems current feels the better option when actually riding.Id been using speed mode before.I found it a smooth responsive boost of power over riding the PAS when in a lower PAS level. Almost no lag in the take up on the flat,very slight on steeper inclines.partly this was due to 100% keep current. I wasnt impressed when i tried it before with keep current at 70%.The lag and increase in speed noticeably worse. This fogged the comparison of the two modes. I will try speed again with 100% KC but cant imagine it will improve.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
what difference in real riding conditions have you found daniel ,between the two options? nowhere can i find an answer. is one more responsive over the other? SC higher or lower any advantage? After using my bbshd a long time and going back to the bbs01 i cant believe how s#it the throttle is.Of course its a lower powered bike but the throttle feels so...well crap basically.
'Current' throttle controls battery current (torque) in direct proportion to the throttle position.

'Speed' throttle controls motor speed in direct proportion to the throttle position.

In theory, speed throttle sounds a good idea, but in practice, the controller applies full power until the desired speed is reached and ends up giving quite a jerky response. It's only really tolerable for low powered bikes. Most people prefer current throttle due to the improved ability to control the amount of torque applied.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
'Current' throttle controls battery current (torque) in direct proportion to the throttle position.

'Speed' throttle controls motor speed in direct proportion to the throttle position.

In theory, speed throttle sounds a good idea, but in practice, the controller applies full power until the desired speed is reached and ends up giving quite a jerky response. It's only really tolerable for low powered bikes. Most people prefer current throttle due to the improved ability to control the amount of torque applied.
At last thanks daniel a proper explanation of what speed mode refers to..motor rpm speed.yeah current , ramping up the amps smoothly to max coupled with keep current 100% is def smoother and what u want it to do.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Did you ever get to the bottom of this. My controller was programmed by someone else and its set to Speed. I'm interested which one would suit my style more which is most power when I want it without the somewhat randomness I get with the Speed mode as in, sometimes the throttle seems really strong and other times it's almost like it's running at half power

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Goes from 0 to full power, controllable. Probably not legal, but ok in the grounds of my mansion.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I disconnected my throttle, but I do recall trying both - I seem to remember that throttle controlled by "Speed" was a jerky and/or slow start, I think it was the result of the controller needing a couple of revolutions of the wheel or so, to calculate speed. It takes less time for the controller to determine current.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
As Jim highlighted with private land use, I only need it to make it back up the hill from the stables :cool:

All good advice though. I think I’ll give it a go tomorrow when I put a new cassette on as the increased torque has highlighted damage to the current one