Be Careful Out There

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
But how are we to ensure that motorists see us given the universal use of dipped headlights even in well-lit city streets? Cyclists and pedestrians become almost invisible to on-coming traffic when they are in front of vehicles with dipped headlights.

I understand the practice of driving with dipped headlights even in well-lit areas is not a legal requirement but started in the late seventies when the police began stopping and warning drivers who were using only side-lights.

The practice is not helpful to pedestrians on the pavement either. I well remember, after it was introduced, walking on city side streets, and being blinded by oncoming dipped headlights, with the result I could not see the pavement in front of me or avoid the dog turds scattered over it.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
In the case of the car driver, he probably never went out with the intention of killing as would possibly be the case for someone using a knife or gun to kill.
He would only get bail if the police were confident he would appear at court, which suggests he come's from a pretty stable background, is probably in regular employment, not a frequent offender, unlikely to do a runner and may have had someone sign surety.
Also, its not entirely true that knife and gun offenders don't get bail. In cases of possession of a weapon, self defence or possible doubt as to their guilt, bail can be awarded often with sureties of many thousands of pounds.
If the police refuse bail the court may award it or visa-versa.
I'm sure that you are entirely correct about the driver not having intent to kill. The fact is, these people go into aresehole mode once behind the wheel of a car. It's in their make up. It's what they are like. The only way to protect the public is to put them in a place where they can do no more harm.

As for bail, that decision is now taken by the CPS (Criminal Protection Service, sorry I meant Crown Prosecution Service)

Example: A driver is disqualified from driving for causing a life altering injury to someone whilst driving with excess alcohol. He is Banned for 5 years. He then drives whilst disqualified, is over the limit, goes through a red traffic light and collides and kills an innocent driver going through the opposing green light. The offending driver is given bail.

I don't know what happened at court but I can't help but find some views expressed in this thread tragically naive. Pereversely I am envious of this.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We are an imperfect species and the more advanced we become, the greater the number and degree of imperfections. Accordingly our society can only continue with increasing tolerance, accepting the pain that results.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I agree with Flecc' sentiments , and think our lack of self awareness ( in the metaphysical sense ) coupled with bad habits , social conditioning have us on one charted course with eminent extinction .

We dont have the level of concious awareness to match the level of technology at our disposal , and that makes as reckless and above all dangerous - as global warming , wars etc prove.

With mainstay developments ion teh works that are continually updating computers intelligence , and ability to predict us / thoughts through games , ( take for example the xbox kinetic system coming out next month ) we are treading dangrous lines betwen controller and the controlled.

Last edited:

rayhayes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2010
Whatever motorists think, let's make sure we give them a chance to at least see us. Don't forget good lights and high-vis clothing when it's dark or gloomy.

It's amazing how many cyclists seem to assume motorists are all wearing night-vision glasses. And they really cannot be seen until it's - sometimes - too late.
Absolutly right, we do of course have a responsability to make sure we are visible, ...and of course we all do make mistakes!

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
OTH is absolutely right. Just have a look and see how many bikes have lights and how many use them when car drivers have their lights on.
It's just not safe on a bike at this time of year unless you're in hi-viz and lit up like a Christmas tree. You cannot assume that you will be seen - even in daylight.
It is also socially responsible to wear a helmet or hat just in case somebody else is going to have to clear you up off the road.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
OTH is absolutely right. Just have a look and see how many bikes have lights and how many use them when car drivers have their lights on.
It's just not safe on a bike at this time of year unless you're in hi-viz and lit up like a Christmas tree. You cannot assume that you will be seen - even in daylight.
It is also socially responsible to wear a helmet or hat just in case somebody else is going to have to clear you up off the road.
Maybe a full suit of hi-vis armour would be the answer.
Personally I am thinking of joining my two bikes together and enclosing them in a steel shell, with a glass covered hole in the front to see through. I'll call it a Crash Aware Roadster or something similar.

Colin

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Maybe it should be a law that you can't drive a car until you have had sevral months cycling in all conditions. That way you would be more aware of the dangers we face.
Also make mobile phones unworkable in a car with a running engine. Can't be too difficult. On a 4 mile journey to pick up the wife from work i see at least one person and usually more driving whilst talking on the phone. Recently one guy came around a corner on the wrongside of the road whilst on the phone.
I don't see many people being fined £1000 as is supposed to be the case...Enough warning has been had by all,it should now be a compulsory retest.
Not all motorists are at fault when in collisions with cycles but both parties need to follow the rules of the road and also be more alert to the dangers on them.