Be Seen - Stupid or not

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Seen a couple of bikes around my way with them, they do stand out....anything that gets you seen is good.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I have a red one on the rear wheel and a white one on the front - I like them.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
A lesson I learned early in life, is do not waste time worrying about what people think of you. They are not thinking about you at all, they are too busy worrying what other people think of them. They look great to me, whatever your age, go for it. You can actually get much more sophisticated ones that display a coloured pattern over the whole wheel area, or a sort of low definition television picture. With the right software, you could probably sell advertising space.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why not, being seen on the roads is always good.

Primary safety, avoiding an accident in the first place, always more important than the secondary safety of trying to soften the consequences of one.

D

Deleted member 4366

A lesson I learned early in life, is do not waste time worrying about what people think of you. They are not thinking about you at all, they are too busy worrying what other people think of them. They look great to me, whatever your age, go for it. You can actually get much more sophisticated ones that display a coloured pattern over the whole wheel area, or a sort of low definition television picture. With the right software, you could probably sell advertising space.
They look rather expensive. I got mine free with Cree T6 bike light that cost about £20, which was already the cheapest I could find that light.

I don't think they'll save your life, but instead will probably improve the chance of getting your bike knicked.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think they'll save your life, but instead will probably improve the chance of getting your bike knicked.
That's a good safety feature then Dave, can't fall off a bike you don't have any longer! :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Anybody tried these. I can't decide if I would look stupid or not, well more stupid than I look already. I suppose you would stand out in traffic.

Mathmos Bike Wheel Lights | Available Online From Find Me A Gift

View attachment 4464
Not sure of the build quality of either but these are available at substantially less from Amazon :

Blue Neon Car Bike Bicycle Tyre Wheel Valve Led Light: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

... or these with slightly better reviews :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002P7YJB2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ANRC9RPLJMK64

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
How very cynical ! Presume you can turn them off / replace with valve caps if leaving your bike for any time ...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'd steer clear of these. They are likely to attract unwanted attention from middle aged men wearing tight leather trousers. Some of whom will invite you to chase them.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I'd steer clear of these. They are likely to attract unwanted attention from middle aged men wearing tight leather trousers. Some of whom will invite you to chase them.
Are they the same ones who hide behind tinted glass windows on white BMWs fitted with dual exhausts and pretend to be 18 ?

tandeman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2012
Hmm. Yes any aid to being visible is generally a good thing, my concern re this type of product is that it can perpetuate the myth that bikes are Toys, and neither they nor the pilots to be of consequence/legitimate road users, but rather an object of fun to be jeered at or worse (pushed off - yes it happens) - they don't include maturity in the Driving Test.

Best to go for powerful 'normal' lights I reckon. I feel safest with my Exposure Joystick on my helmet, flashing at the front, v bright Exposure plug-in light at the rear, has the advantage of moving with you as well as being bright/lightweight/portable/easy to use/recharge etc. not cheap though.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Being seen using whatever lights and reflectives that take your fancy is a good thing but it's also worth having a think about riding style and specifically positioning on the road which can have a huge effect on whether other road users see you.

There's a good book called 'Cyclecraft' which is well worth reading and it goes into this in detail.