Beat Bike Toba Crossbar (Bike Log)

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
640 miles, headset worked loose. I hope I can fix this easily?

PS: still good for 50+ miles on one charge.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
PIcture on 5 May 2017. To check for chain slackness

NB: these particular pannier bags from Lidl weren't up to much, split on the first day.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Looking for a suitable front rack, ideally with a fitting for the front light, and the front rack capable of holding a camera bag. I cant' see one. Fitting could be awkward?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
This is the verification of distance travelled from new before the battery ran low. Not all on ECO. I used higher levels on hills,

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Not much to report. Up to 800 miles which is much lower than I am used to in 8 months or so of use. Electrics working OK, if a bit sluggish at times. I still don't like the bike and it needs fatter wheels and tyres for its weight as its off road performance is dreadful especially in the mud where it is an accident waiting to happen. I mean off-road paths rather than cross country which it can't handle. Just doesn't produce a good ride on the road either. Conclusion: ebikes need mountain bike wheels because of the excessive weight.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Overall impression that this was a very good design for a hub geared pedal bike, but the conversion to an ebike was less than ideal. At £1600 it was the best I could afford in spring 2017.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Bike difficult to handle on wet grass, let alone actual mud. This bike is not suitable off-road in winter and can be just as tricky on bridle paths in a dry summer.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
900 miles. Chain slack, wheel adjusted. Brakes needed tightening as they ceased to work. Simple job. Charge lasted about 50 miles (67 miles when purchased new). Now 950 miles.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Nearly 1000 miles in 10 months. Cycling two miles less per day now, or last year. Electrics have not been a problem at all, except both lights (rear only) don't work when stationary off the dynamo. Problems with mechanical bits, hub gears; maintenance of chain and brakes. Handling far from ideal, like a converted hybrid bike rather than designed for purpose ebike. Heavy weight of the battery changes handling characteristics, and the unsuitable Cyclamatic mountain ebike was a much more comfortable ride. Toba is stable when hitting potholes at under 15 mph and blow out punctures on tarmac at 18 mph.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Lost power mysteriously five miles from home. Took the train back. 1223 miles on the clock. Full battery charge. Plugged it in when I got home and it reactivated.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Now a front wheel slow puncture. I need a decent road pump. Schwalbe tyre not working its magic.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Slow puncture appears to be the valve. I forgot to unplug the dynohub when taking off the front wheel. This breaks the light connection and it is very fiddly to repair. I hope a dab of superglue helped? I won't know if the light repair has worked until dark. Dynohub makes me think the Toba Beat was designed as a hub geared pedal bike and ebike came as an afterthought

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I broke the dynohub connection and its too fiddly to stick the wires back in. Or I tried and it still doesn't work. Bad day. This bike has had continual minor problems. Hindsight: I would avoid hub gears and dynohubs. I put battery lights on instead.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
All roadsters in Germany - push bike or ebike - must have lights, so that's why you see lots of ebikes with them.

I believe the regulation is based on bicycle weight, so a lightweight road bike doesn't have to have lights.

If it's a Shimano dynohub, it is possible to remake the plug connection.

Shimano supply spares if the plug is broken.

But it is a fiddly job.

Bosch ebikes now have lights wired from the ebike battery, but that's only been the case for the last couple of years.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
All roadsters in Germany - push bike or ebike - must have lights, so that's why you see lots of ebikes with them.

I believe the regulation is based on bicycle weight, so a lightweight road bike doesn't have to have lights.

If it's a Shimano dynohub, it is possible to remake the plug connection.

Shimano supply spares if the plug is broken.

But it is a fiddly job.

Bosch ebikes now have lights wired from the ebike battery, but that's only been the case for the last couple of years.
On a note of things to do to try and get the wires slotted in. For the back light (that stays on when stationary) which is good. Front light is not powerful enough, most of the times it is. Battery lights run out of battery at inconvenient times. So dynohub is quite useful if I remember to disconnect when taking the front wheel off. Toba Beat is a hilly town bike and very good. I really wanted a cross country bike when fatter tyres/wheels and derailleur gears would be easier to fix punctures away from home. Fiddly little connections problem. Bike in picture contains extras, folding cage at rear and handelebar bags and tools bag. And now two lots of battery lights (in case the batteries run out).

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Extras: AXA on frame lock was a good buy. I take another stronger lock for longer stops.

Related Articles

Advertisers