Beat Bike Toba Crossbar (Bike Log)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The lights law changed in Germany - battery powered lights were illegal until a couple of years back which is why all earlier German e-bikes had a dynamo.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Over two thousand miles and the electrics have been good, not so the hub gears which slip. Ibera handlebar bag sags now, not good enough for the heavy weight of a camera.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi Perseus, it is good to see ongoing warts and all reviews like yours. I am doing my own in respect of a entry level Haibike hard tail mountain bike with a Yamaha crank drive system that I bought in 2015 to ride to work and back on including a proper off road route to work and road ride home. On paper those Beat bikes from 50 cycles looked OK.

• Agree

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Hi Perseus, it is good to see ongoing warts and all reviews like yours. I am doing my own in respect of a entry level Haibike hard tail mountain bike with a Yamaha crank drive system that I bought in 2015 to ride to work and back on including a proper off road route to work and road ride home. On paper those Beat bikes from 50 cycles looked OK.
I think 26" wheels with thick tyres are needed with these heavy bikes, MTB style.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I am 67 now and an ebike was not before time (65). Still thought of as a good buy but the wrong bike.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
check the gear shifter adjusting barrel.
You put the bike to gear 4 (middle gear), make sure that the yellow marker on the shifting mechanism is right in the middle of the two limit lines.
IGHs work well after the shifter cable settles down. Just check the writing on the outercable. It has to be no compression type and no sharp radius along the cable.

Yellow dots lined up perfectly. To check cables, plastic gear lever covering is cracked (impact damage) but the fault occurred before this.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Well, you got past the 1750 miles where many people got the motor problems. Maybe the solution works on your bike. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Well, you got past the 1750 miles where many people got the motor problems. Maybe the solution works on your bike. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
What did they do? Electric drive train breakdown after climbing in low gear. 2600 miles. It needs a repair which I cannot do myself. I don't really like the bike.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Link to your page please?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What did they do? Electric drive train breakdown after climbing in low gear. 2600 miles. It needs a repair which I cannot do myself. I don't really like the bike.
It's very easy to take the motor out. From memory, you remove the cranks, take a few scews out of the side-covers, then three bolts through the engine, and unclip a couple of connectors. You then get your motor repaired by Bearing man (peter@performancelinebearings.com ).
PS. sorry to hear about your problem. I guess we all knew it was coming sooner or later.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
It's very easy to take the motor out. From memory, you remove the cranks, take a few scews out of the side-covers, then three bolts through the engine, and unclip a couple of connectors. You then get your motor repaired by Bearing man (peter@performancelinebearings.com ).
PS. sorry to hear about your problem. I guess we all knew it was coming sooner or later.
What's the prognosis?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What's the prognosis?
You'd be better discussing it with Bearing Man. When I repaired one, I replaced the whole motor with one from Germany. That was very easy. They gave instructions on where to send it. the replacement came after about a week. I bolted it in and it worked straight away. No setup was necessary.

Here's the notes on what's involved.

Procedure:
Remove both cranks (one nut on each);
Remove the chain-guard (one screw);
Remove the battery base (2 screws and a clip at the front);
Wind the chain off the chainwheel;
Remove the chainwheel circlip;
Remove the chainwheel;
Disconnect three connectors;
Remove the three motor bolts;
Thread the battery connector through the hole in the frame and remove the motor;
Send the motor to Germany;
Installation is the exact reverse. It's a bit fiddly to get the gear cable out of the way. It runs over the motor, but tries to jam in the side when you push the motor in place. The new motor comes with the battery connector. You have to remove one wire (spade connector) to get it through, then clip the wire back on. The motor comes configured with the correct software, so it's plug and play. There was one connector on the new motor that's not used. It had a blanking plug in it. I can't remember if that was on the original.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
You'd be better discussing it with Bearing Man. When I repaired one, I replaced the whole motor with one from Germany. That was very easy. They gave instructions on where to send it. the replacement came after about a week. I bolted it in and it worked straight away. No setup was necessary.

Here's the notes on what's involved.

Procedure:
Remove both cranks (one nut on each);
Remove the chain-guard (one screw);
Remove the battery base (2 screws and a clip at the front);
Wind the chain off the chainwheel;
Remove the chainwheel circlip;
Remove the chainwheel;
Disconnect three connectors;
Remove the three motor bolts;
Thread the battery connector through the hole in the frame and remove the motor;
Send the motor to Germany;
Installation is the exact reverse. It's a bit fiddly to get the gear cable out of the way. It runs over the motor, but tries to jam in the side when you push the motor in place. The new motor comes with the battery connector. You have to remove one wire (spade connector) to get it through, then clip the wire back on. The motor comes configured with the correct software, so it's plug and play. There was one connector on the new motor that's not used. It had a blanking plug in it. I can't remember if that was on the original.
Thanks. What was the cost approx please? I don't think I have the physical capacity to do the work with just one useful hand?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
PS: It is working (not very well) today. I'm thinking about a new ebike, more than just functional. Cyclomatic was a much better ride than the Toba. Bike to be used for bulky shopping, up to 30 miles partly off road treks, many shorter journeys, frequently + 15 miles though. Toba good in towns because of the hub gears, awful on brideways (too heavy for the wheels), bad resistance to pedalling at 15 mph, unstable at 20+ mph downhill.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are so many good bikes these days that it's difficult to choose. I like the NCM Moscow. It's 48v, so plenty of power. They use Das Kit parts. Das Kit has been around for a while and they've expanded from China into Europe. I was talking with the guys from NCM at the Cycle Show today, who were German.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
There are so many good bikes these days that it's difficult to choose. I like the NCM Moscow. It's 48v, so plenty of power. They use Das Kit parts. Das Kit has been around for a while and they've expanded from China into Europe. I was talking with the guys from NCM at the Cycle Show today, who were German.
I had unwanted trouble with the Toba as the new wheel had to come from Germany and it took a month. Then it wasn't fixed properly, another week and stranded miles from nowhere. China design is a plus sign though.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I've got the Toba going again. Performance seems like it is on economy all the time.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Charger has just gone bang! Tempted to get a new bike. Any tips? 3200 miles only.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't use 50c again or the new Snaith start up company.

Kudo cycles have a Bosch Hybrid bike at 1700.
Shimano steps 6000 system appears to be good my brothe bought a Willier hybrid with steps and like sit say's it's quieter then his Bosch Kalhoff S from 2010.

Related Articles

Advertisers