Belt drive - your experience of it?

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Does it do what it says on the tin? Any downside? Would you buy another belt-drive e-bike ... ?

OleP

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2020
Gazelle Ultimate C380 with belt drive and stepless Enviolo gear. My experience is that I NEVER again want a bike with anything other than a belt drive.
Advantage:
- Completely silent.
- Virtually no maintenance (a little washing with water now and then).
- Only a small adjustment at 14,000 km.
- Lasts very long (can't see any wear in 14,000 km).
- According to the manufacturer (Gates), it is lighter than a chain and the loss is only slightly greater than a new, well-lubricated chain. Less loss than an unlubricated chain.
Disadvantages:
- Higher price, but this is offset by the long life.
- The bike must be designed for belt traction, as the belt cannot be separated like a chain can.

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
As above, I’m delighted with the belt drive on my R&M Tinker. The bike gets transported to many places and with a belt there is no mess. It has been flawless since I obtained the bike and I have made no adjustments.

Gates have a phone app for their belt. You twang the belt while holding the phone nearby. The app listens to the sound and lets you know if the belt tension is correct. Of course, I’ve never used it As everything keeps working.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Thanks very much indeed for that really useful information :)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If it snaps, can it be replaced with a pair of tights ?

Octave

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2019
It was one of the reasons for buying a R+M Superdelite and it has been great, the tensioner pulley means no adjustment needed in 4000km so far, truly maintenance free. I have a crank drive hybrid and MTB and the wear rate on chains and cassettes is appalling even with careful maintenance although I do cycle year round in all weather. I wash the belt when cleaning the bike, just hosing it off (subject to hose pipe bans of course). On the other hand the chain on my rear hub motor Orbea looks as if it will last for ever!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It was one of the reasons for buying a R+M Superdelite and it has been great, the tensioner pulley means no adjustment needed in 4000km so far, truly maintenance free. I have a crank drive hybrid and MTB and the wear rate on chains and cassettes is appalling even with careful maintenance although I do cycle year round in all weather. I wash the belt when cleaning the bike, just hosing it off (subject to hose pipe bans of course). On the other hand the chain on my rear hub motor Orbea looks as if it will last for ever!
Rear (and front hub) drives, relieve the chain from having to pass motor torque, which I have also found dramatically reduces stress and wear on conventional chain driven e-bikes.
I forget now the exact number of Kms, but on my first e-bike (bought 2nd hand, rear hub), I replaced the chain and the cassette with well over 20,000 KMs, though the cassette replacement actualy fixed all problems with the chain dropping off occasionally....
A traditional bike chain was never designed to handle both human AND motor torque for long periods.......
I have friends in Germany that rarely achieve more than 2,000 KMs on a chain (are ecstatic if 2,500 Kms is achieved!!), and are still happy!!!!
Its apparently become the accepted norm for certain German (sold and named, but not made!) e-bikes with mid motors!!!
regards
Andy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I did have problems with a Grace MX, it's on here somewhere. I still don't know if it was Gates or NuVinci who were at fault, but the sprocket would fail. I had a refund and continued with the same shop who gave brilliant service. I have a belt drive bike now and like OleP, it is my preference over a chain.