Bern helmets

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
They don’t look to be very well vented to me but get reasonable reviews, probably make a good winter helmet.
I wear a well ventilated lid with a thick skull cap when it’s cold and a thinner one in the summer.

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi gringo,
It's a winter helmet I'm after. I am sure that after a long rough shift at work, there will be the odd occasion when I will just want to get home fast (bung her into turbo mode and let the motor do most of the work). A warmer helmet might be just the thing then. Thing is, I have always hated wearing any type of hat so wearing 2 together would be torture for me! Last time I fell off a bike I was 9 years old (raleigh chopper trying to jump a ditch like evel knievel with the same result as his ceasers Palace jump!) I suspect now at 52 it will hurt much more!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I had a very similar older model. Comfy and I'm sure it saved my life after a nasty night incident with a white van.

Downside, not breathable at all. But them I'm bald and ride an ebike so that is no issue for me at all!

I now have an enduro style helmet (also discontinued but similar to the planet x ones) which has better rear coverage

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Something akin to this

Or this

Thanks for your input,
The whole cycling scene has so much choice these days I'm amazed anyone can pick riding gear! I had a cheap helmet and a lightweight waterproof jacket when I used my old dahon! I really want to invest in good quality gear this time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well all the best helmets are now mips rated for bike use but there not cheap esp light waight ones.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
MIPS helmets start a lot cheaper than that: eg £32.49 (+$4 or so p&p)
I'm not saying that one is any good; and I'd never heard of MIPS before.

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
MIPS helmets start a lot cheaper than that: eg £32.49 (+$4 or so p&p)
I'm not saying that one is any good; and I'd never heard of MIPS before.
Cheers sjpt,
Like I said before, the amount of choice available today is mind-boggling. I have been cycling since I was 8,and have never been without a bike since (primerilly a leisure rider with some light commuting). My new bike will be my main transport, suddenly all choices seem a little more important, all part of the fun though!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
£10 or £100, all helmets have been tested and deemed “safe” before they are put on sale.
Colour, fit and features (visor/ types of strap fitting etc) are a personal choice.
I’ve had a real bargain helmet off the net £20 instead of £90) only to find it too uncomfortable to use. You can’t beat trying them on in store even if you then buy the same model cheaper online ;)

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Something akin to this

Or this

Thank-you Kirstin. I have just ordered one from PlanetX at £10. I have searched all over the place for a helmet of that design, but no joy, and then I saw your post. It was a manager at one of the places where I work who nagged me to get a helmet! Also, I was under the impression you were a sultry 30 year-old bird, but you mention you are bald....... Thanks for the info.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Well, I got my helmet from Planet X today, Kirstin. That was very helpful. It fits well, I hardly know it's there and the peak keeps the sun out of my eyes. Very useful as I have eye trouble. £10 is a bargain.

Reactions: KirstinS

Related Articles

Advertisers