Help! Best Bike Under £2000 to Derestrict?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yes, but your post was about the legality, not about how easy it would be to make legal. A BBSHD is one of the easiest systems to convert back to legal - just two screws, one bolt and a ring-nut!
the fact that you can change the settings means under law it is not road legal no matter what you set it to because you are able to change the settings.

Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (continuous rated power above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Yes, but your post was about the legality, not about how easy it would be to make legal. A BBSHD is one of the easiest systems to convert back to legal - just two screws, one bolt and a ring-nut!
You are still not paying attention it cannot be made legal.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Handling with the battery on back is just fine despite some saying it puts the bike out of balance, it doesn't with a mid drive.
What if you have 2 heavyish panniers on the rear of the rack , does this change the course of balance ?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've got a mid-drive with battery on the back (Motus step-through) and regularly carry lots of shopping in two panniers; often with more strapped on the top of the rack. That handles fine for a mile or so getting back from town, but I wouldn't want to try navigating curvy routes fast with the load arranged like that.

Reactions: budsy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It's you that's not thinking. It can indeed be made legal by undoing the two screws, the ring-nut and the crank bolts.

OllieB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 25, 2021
My post wasn't about legality, it was about programming a Bafang motor :)

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
We've got a mid-drive with battery on the back (Motus step-through) and regularly carry lots of shopping in two panniers; often with more strapped on the top of the rack. That handles fine for a mile or so getting back from town, but I wouldn't want to try navigating curvy routes fast with the load arranged like that.
You have just made me think id be as well best without an E Bike as battery on bike plus 2 heavy panniers for my fishing gear i take be it chair inside bag , weights , reel/s , fishing rod , some other things also and inc sandwiches and flask i put in other side in bag ..would be as well staying without going for an e bike though hilly parts can be tough ...Although i do see the goodness in e bikes especially hilly areas ..cheers sjpt :)

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You have just made me think id be as well best without an E Bike as battery on bike plus 2 heavy panniers for my fishing gear i take be it chair inside bag , weights , reel/s , fishing rod , some other things also and inc sandwiches and flask i put in other side in bag ..would be as well staying without going for an e bike though hilly parts can be tough ...Although i do see the goodness in e bikes especially hilly areas ..cheers sjpt :)
What I said doesn't apply to an ebike with a frame battery.

I almost always ride that bike on lowest level 1/eco of 4 (I used to use mostly 2/tour). We are uphill from town (not a huge hill, but enough). When laden as described above I'm very happy to use 2, or even 3 if feeling lazy, and even then going pretty slowly. But a non-e-bike is fine too; we used one for such loads until I was well over 70.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020

I almost always ride that bike on lowest level 1/eco of 4 (I used to use mostly 2/tour). We are uphill from town (not a huge hill, but enough). When laden as described above I'm very happy to use 2, or even 3 if feeling lazy, and even then going pretty slowly. But a non-e-bike is fine too; we used one for such loads until I was well over 70.
OK , i was thinking you had thought an e bike being heavy and battery heavy on top then 2 panniers either side on rack at back would be over kill ...I am nearing 88 yrs now though and hills are getting to me more so these days :(

izy

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2020
If you bothered to read on you would have also seen that he wanted something that could easily switched back which a 1000watt Bafang cant as it is not 250watt, Try and pay attention.
i mean by switched back he means limited.
which you can program from the lcd/controller on the go since the menu allows that

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020

Cheers sjpt - Just seen this bike was thinking the new 2021 step through Emu model ? https://www.electricrider.co.uk/products/emu-step-through-250w-electric-city-bike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looks a pretty sensible bike. Some people are sniffy about V-brakes and maybe a bike that that price should have rear hub drive? Also £500 seems quite a high reservation price; not sure how reliable that company is.

I think I'd go for the Santana despite the disadvantage of the rear battery. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All the Santanas for this year are sold.
I have so much troubles getting stock this year you wouldn't believe.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
All the Santanas for this year are sold.
I have so much troubles getting stock this year you wouldn't believe.
Time for a website update ... BIKES IN STOCK: FARO, SANTANA CD

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
What are the disadvantages of a rear battery?
Weight distribution. Not too big a problem, but if combined with heavy panniers you need to gang canny.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Time for a website update ... BIKES IN STOCK: FARO, SANTANA CD
done. Sorry.
Santana 3, Faro, Camino, Gran Camino and Rambletta parts are arriving 5th May to 30th June. We then have to assemble them and already have long customer waiting lists. If you wish to book your building slot please reserve online or email sales@wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry - other models are not available this year.