Best Budget Kit and a few questions?

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I recently bought bt win full sus bike , great on slightly downward slopes.
on the flat or hills far too much hard work .
had a mid moter and bottle battery, the only place it might fit was underneath the front seat tube?

decided this full sus was not for me,
bought Carrera subway one hybrid ,no suspension but ok on canal paths and my kit fits ok.

you can buy suntour nxs seatpost and fit a gel saddle, or buy a bike with front suspention and lockout.
for a bit more comfort .

cathl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2016
Cheshire
I recently bought bt win full sus bike , great on slightly downward slopes.
on the flat or hills far too much hard work .
had a mid moter and bottle battery, the only place it might fit was underneath the front seat tube?

decided this full sus was not for me,
bought Carrera subway one hybrid ,no suspension but ok on canal paths and my kit fits ok.

you can buy suntour nxs seatpost and fit a gel saddle, or buy a bike with front suspention and lockout.
for a bit more comfort .
Thanks, I too am planning to give it a go and see if it's for me :)

As above I've tried seat post and saddle option.

Thanks

cathl

Aug 18, 2016
Cheshire
As footpump says, I can transfer my kit onto another bike if I don't like it, and if dad can attach the battery without drilling the frame I can sell this bike for what I paid for it.

Definitely worth a go, even if I've still got to push my bike up the hills I'll get some benefit on the flat and downhill.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Yes, and I have tried those too. I'm not using cheap rear suspension I'm riding a Boardman full suspension bike. Obviously I'm not going to 'ruin' the Boardman, so an old Marin is the best budget alternative. And guess what, I can put a suspension seat post and fat tyres on that to help even more.

You're starting to get a bit rude now with the 'have you not heard of...' patronising comment.

How about you either believe me when I say full suspension helps with the pain and help me convert a full suspension bike, or go and unproductively question someone else's genital pain on another thread.
It was a question, not a patronising comment.
If you dont want peoples advice, then dont come on a forum asking for it.

Reactions: D C

cathl

Aug 18, 2016
Cheshire
It was a question, not a patronising comment.
If you dont want peoples advice, then dont come on a forum asking for it.
I'm welcoming any advice I can get regarding how I can convert a SUSPENSION BIKE on a budget of £500.

Thanks.

cathl

Aug 18, 2016
Cheshire
patronize
ˈpatrənʌɪz/
verb
gerund or present participle: patronising
treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.

D

Deleted member 4366

I tried a bike at a show that had a Suntour NCX sprung seatpost. I didn't look at the bike before setting off as I was only interested to try the torque from the new motor. When i got back, the guy asked me what i though, and my first comment was, "good suspension!". I climbed off to have a look at what shock it used, only to be completely dumbfounded when I could see that it was a hard-tail. These NCX seat-pins are nothing like the normal single spring seat-pins. You should try one if you can.

Reactions: cathl

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'm welcoming any advice I can get regarding how I can convert a SUSPENSION BIKE on a budget of £500.

Thanks.
there are ways. D8veh has a lot of spare parts, he may sell you a kit at cost - around £150-£200 if you ask him, leaving you with £300 budget to sort out a battery.

Reactions: cathl

cathl

Aug 18, 2016
Cheshire
I tried a bike at a show that had a Suntour NCX sprung seatpost. I didn't look at the bike before setting off as I was only interested to try the torque from the new motor. When i got back, the guy asked me what i though, and my first comment was, "good suspension!". I climbed off to have a look at what shock it used, only to be completely dumbfounded when I could see that it was a hard-tail. These NCX seat-pins are nothing like the normal single spring seat-pins. You should try one if you can.
Thanks - what a friendly post full of useful info :)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
got my ncx last year £43 from Germany, that might not now be the case since brexit,
woosh offer them as a upgrade on some of there bikes I believe.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As I have mentioned in another post they have an Achilles heel, the brass bushes wear. Not been able to source exact replacement one's so had 8 made up for now.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I will have an as new NCX coming up for sale soon. They are very good indeed and take out a lot of bumps far better than most telescopic seatposts but I have only used it for about 50 miles as I have now gone full sus.

And just to add to the debate on weight gain re full sus, the 2012 Giant Trance frame I recently purchased was a whopping 1.1lb heavier (inc shock) than my outgoing 2006 Specialized Rockhopper hardtail, and the Rockhopper is not exactly known for being a heavy bike. I think I can live with a 16oz gain.

I appreciate that cheap full sussers can be relatively heavy but the concept should not be discounted. And to pick up my good condition used frame for £175 delivered was a no brainer really, especially when it came supplied with a Fox Float RP23 shock. I am looking foward to getting it finished soon and will add pics to the Oxydrive thread when done. Plenty of room in the frame for the battery too, and thanks to Baldylox for building his first and making it clear that battery fitment would be no problem!