Best cycle pump.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi ...I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for the best cycle pump to carry in the event of an emergency repair needed ?
.....the cheap one I've been carrying for some 20 years was barely up to the job when needed. :) ....must fit into my rack bag.

....thanks....Mike

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Lezyne do some really nice ones that are like mini track pumps and have a pressure gauge. All machined alloy, it's like a piece of art.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
if you're lazy like me, topeak mountain/mini morph is great - its almost as little effort as a track pump, but fits on the bike.

mountain is easier, mini is (amazingly enough) smaller.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Don't waste your time and effort with a pump. Get a CO2 gun and cylinders. Quicker, cleaner and simple to use.

D

Deleted member 4366

Plus one to the CO2 pumps. They're much smaller and easier. Always take two cylinders in case of mis-haps and be aware that once you've used them, the remaining CO2 in the cylinder tends to leak out over a eriod f time, so always consider an attached one empty. Get the type with a proper screw-type shut-off valve like this one. They're easier to control and leak less afterwards.
LUFT Bicycle CO2 pump tyre tube inflater Presta Schrader bike threaded cylinder | eBay

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks guys...plenty of choice here.
I quite fancy the CO2 thingy but think perhaps I'll check out the Topeak pump with the flexible coupling.
.....Cheers all .....Mike

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
+1 more for CO2 on the road. Tiny size, fast inflate, light weight

I have this one

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Portland-Design-Works-Shiny-Object-Co2-Inflator-and-16g-Cartridge-Cartridge-Pump_41288.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CPya0eiLy7kCFTLMtAoddjQAWQ

But I got half price otherwise over designed / priced. D8veh is the same mechanics by look of it but plastic construction and do exactly same job. The quality of the construction on the Portland is superb mind.

I have used mine 3 times (only to rescue others and not on my bike - my continental travel contact and marathon plus have never yet let me down!)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you are going for a hand pump a flexible coupling is a good idea.

I have a £20 Lezyne, but any make with a bit of quality about it would do the job.

Some hand pumps can struggle to put 100psi into a roadie tyre, hence CO2, but 50-odd psi into an ebike tyre is less of a pneumatic challenge.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Worth pointing out that if you see LIDL or ALDI advertising a rechargeable electric pump - get up early and buy one. They're brilliant. Looks like an electric drill but is a fantastic piece of kit.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
if you're lazy like me, topeak mountain/mini morph is great - its almost as little effort as a track pump, but fits on the bike.

mountain is easier, mini is (amazingly enough) smaller.

I had a mountain morph, it was good until the fold down foot stirrup snapped off after half a dozen uses. The Lezyne version is much stronger and metal not plastic. I've also used Co2 systems, but they dont give the same peace of mind. Sometimes you get a lot of punctures on one ride, my most is six. I dont think i'd ever carry six Co2 cylinders. Also, if you have MTB tyres you'll need more than one cylinder to get enough air into them.

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
Surely this is the perfect opportunity to exploit the unique attribute all our bikes share... electric power!
I wonder what the smallest. Lightest 12v compressor is? I took one out of one of those cheapo (useless) jumpstart packs and screwed it to a lump of wood. It lives in the garage and i have been using it to inflate all sorts of tyres, it easily does 120 psi roadbike tyres. I guess 36 or 48v might make it spit fire but if you got a mini 12v one in conjunction with a kit that output say 12v cig. Lighter socket then the output can be used for other stuff like charging bike lights or phones etc. With a usb adapter.
The compressor i salvaged is tiny probably smaller than the size of a pack of cigarettes and light ally and plastic gogs, weighs feck all, if you hand held it to stop it flying about on the floor it would be very small.
Afterall who flattens their lithium batts or ever uses all their battery range, i'm sure we all have capacity to spare. Turn your bike into the AA van of the cycle path lol! I would feel guite smug knowing i had a power pump in the bag. Springy thin power cord as its only got to reach like 1m each way, super short pipe so you hold it right near the valve while its pumping. Oh and a pedelecs.co.uk logo moulded in the handle! Sorted:cool:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Topeak Road Morph G for me - neat and has a pressure gauge / little foot a bit like the others I guess. Fingers crossed the foot hasn't broken off yet in 11 months' of use... but it does look a bit flimsy and I'm extra careful with it.

Surely this is the perfect opportunity to exploit the unique attribute all our bikes share... electric power!
I wonder what the smallest. Lightest 12v compressor is? I took one out of one of those cheapo (useless) jumpstart packs and screwed it to a lump of wood. It lives in the garage and i have been using it to inflate all sorts of tyres, it easily does 120 psi roadbike tyres. I guess 36 or 48v might make it spit fire but if you got a mini 12v one in conjunction with a kit that output say 12v cig. Lighter socket then the output can be used for other stuff like charging bike lights or phones etc. With a usb adapter.
The compressor i salvaged is tiny probably smaller than the size of a pack of cigarettes and light ally and plastic gogs, weighs feck all, if you hand held it to stop it flying about on the floor it would be very small.
Afterall who flattens their lithium batts or ever uses all their battery range, i'm sure we all have capacity to spare. Turn your bike into the AA van of the cycle path lol! I would feel guite smug knowing i had a power pump in the bag. Springy thin power cord as its only got to reach like 1m each way, super short pipe so you hold it right near the valve while its pumping. Oh and a pedelecs.co.uk logo moulded in the handle! Sorted:cool:
... well I've got the 12V power socket already ;) Only 3A max tho' ... else I'll probably overheat the DC-DC converter and blow the fuse :p Waterproof too.

You can put a USB adapter in there too but for the phone charging I split the 12V supply after the converter and used a proprietary motorbike hardwire charging case ... has an isolator switch, separate fuse, voltage & current regulator etc ... because I'd be gutted if I inadvertently blew my Smartphone ! Comes in handy for charging electronic cigarette batteries tho' - but in fairness a charging case is more portable in practice

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Some hand pumps can struggle to put 100psi into a roadie tyre, hence CO2, but 50-odd psi into an ebike tyre is less of a pneumatic challenge.
My ebike runs it's tyres @ 90 psi ;-)

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
cool, I just saw some stuff on THE Bay...

48V 60V 72V Scooter E-bike Bicycle Air Pump Inflator Inflation Compressor | eBay
Pretty much what I was describing but more for e- scooters and too big for my liking

As described by 103Alex1...
New DC-DC Converter 24v 36v 48v to 12v 3A Switching Power Module | eBay
but like he said probably not enough for a compressor. I reckon they use between about 2.5 and 10a @ 12v, would need a 15 amp fuse! Perhaps running it off 36v isn't a bad idea afterall. say 60w (12v x 5a) I think this means at 36v its 60/36 = 1.7a Would certainly pump up quickly!
Or get this...
GOLF CART DC DC Converter Voltage Reducer 36V Step Down to 12V 15A / 180W | eBay

But quite pricey and a little bulky 7.5cm sq. 3.5cm thick, would this kill the battery on your average e-bike if you loaded it up?

Then there is loads of compressors but something like this perhaps?
AirMan air compressor 12v pump car motorbike motorcycle bicycle compact small | eBay

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
My ebike runs it's tyres @ 90 psi ;-)
Agree my e-bike is 80/90 psi which I can only sensibly achieve with the compressor. My mini pumps even the high / low pressure one makes me struggle to reach that pressure, it does it but its not easy. Far worse than this is trying to hold steady the pump on the valve and push the handle hard, all seems a bit of a faff pulling the valve around mashing my hand into the spokes. A mini compressor would be far better imo if its possible to achieve.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Agree my e-bike is 80/90 psi which I can only sensibly achieve with the compressor. My mini pumps even the high / low pressure one makes me struggle to reach that pressure, it does it but its not easy. Far worse than this is trying to hold steady the pump on the valve and push the handle hard, all seems a bit of a faff pulling the valve around mashing my hand into the spokes. A mini compressor would be far better imo if its possible to achieve.
I have a track pump at home. If I get a puncture while I'm out then enough air to get me home is all I need.

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
True, when I have had a big blow I have had to stop 4 or 5 times to pump even with slime in which gets a little tiresome, if the compressor can put double the air in then I might have only had to stop twice or something. Also I can lean back and smoke a fag while it does the work.
I don't have a track pump, (if that's what those tall ones are called) they look a bit ungainly! No doubt they do the job though. I guess I am a gadget man. electric bike, electric pump! I don't break a sweat cycling, why should I pumping tyres!
I have bought 2 No. 12v compressors to experiment with at £6 each and will see what they do at 36v! I'll video the carnage.
No to be sensible the whole charging stuff from a 12v socket is a bit silly as you are basically charging a battery device from another rechargeable battery device! Its more the carry over from motorcycling that makes it seem a good idea but then they actually produce power.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Or get this...
GOLF CART DC DC Converter Voltage Reducer 36V Step Down to 12V 15A / 180W | eBay

But quite pricey and a little bulky 7.5cm sq. 3.5cm thick, would this kill the battery on your average e-bike if you loaded it up?
No it would be fine. You wouldn't be running a compressor whilst riding the bike (hopefully :p) If it's 10A or even 15A after the converter it'll be considerably less at the battery so shouldn't be a problem. But that DC-DC converter is pricey & bulky as you say. You wouldn't be running for very long tho' as far as consumption is concerned. If you standardised all your tapped accessories to 12V (lights etc.) you could run quite a lot off it and it would pay its way. But my guess is that if you push it to its limits for any time it would need to be well ventilated.

36V accessories are simpler to wire if you can find them and usually more efficient. I run a 36V horn for example as it's probably what draws most amps by far. Still likely no more than 10A at the main battery. Most reasonable sized eBike batteries would easily handle this sort of draw. Especially since you usually hit the brakes and cut the power if there's cause to use it.

Then there is loads of compressors but something like this perhaps?
AirMan air compressor 12v pump car motorbike motorcycle bicycle compact small | eBay
I've got an old Halfords car one which would plug into cigarette lighter socket (car or eBike) but never bothered to use it. It'll only fit Schrader valve tubes (as I expect the one linked would too). At home The Topeak 'pump takes under a minute to get a tyre to 70psi. By the time I'd looked out the compressor and set it up the job could have been done to be honest. In practice I don't go higher than 65psi on the 1.75s and the 2.1 Trek tyres are run lower than that as it goes off-road almost every ride.

If you use Marathon + tyres likelihood of regularly needing to inflate on the road is negligible. So only real need for compressor is if you're running very high pressure road tyres / fitting tubeless ones etc. As Amigafan says if you need to inflate on the road after a flat you don't need optimum psi just enough to get home and use your bigger pump. That's where the Co2 things come in - for when you've had about enough after changing the tube, it's **** down or every minute counts :).

Last edited: