Best distance so far

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Living in hilly Cornwall has meant my best road distance has been around 18 miles. This is usually full throttle most of the time.

I've spent the last few weeks recovering from my carpal tunnel operation and I'm suffering badly from cabin fever. So today, as my hand seemed ok, I decided to go for a flat ride and tried the camel trail to Bodmin and beyond. As this is mostly flat I was able to cycle with minimum throttle most of the way. I got as far as Shell woods (12.6 miles). Unfortunately, the trail was closed from here on for maintenance work. So I turned around and headed home. My battery finally cut out after covering 25.5 miles, which is over a third more distance. I had to walk up the last hill to home - if only the world was flat :cool:

So this is my maximum possible distance - 25.5 miles - nice to know :)

I tried to record the ride but the track was so bumpy it's mostly unwatchable. However, I have managed to salvage a 30-minute section and will post it when I've had time to edit it.

Edit: My speed was slower on the trail due to the gravel surface (lots of resistance) and I never went much over 13 mph (10 to 11 coming back). I also found it best to keep in fifth, as sixth was hard work.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hope your hand gets bettet my wife used to suffer with this before an op

The problem with this post is I haven't a clue what bike this info relates to. On the motorhome forums I use, your signature includes what van you have, it makes things so much easier.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It must have felt good to get back in the saddle after such a long break Footie, but I'm glad you didn't push it too much as it's still early days after that operation.

That's a good range from that new battery, particularly after the short lead-acid range you used to get. Gives you a lot more freedom to roam now.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi Footie. Impressive looking bike.

Same here 25 miles is the most I've done before recharge. Not quite so hilly here in the Midlands but I've only got a diddy NIMH battery (Cytronex).

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Eddieo posted:
…. The problem with this post is I haven't a clue what bike this info relates to. On the motorhome forums I use, your signature includes what van you have, it makes things so much easier ….

Sorry about that eddieo, so keen to post about my travels forgot to add any details. I will work on a signature to add in future :)

Flecc posted:
…. It must have felt good to get back in the saddle after such a long break Footie, but I'm glad you didn't push it too much as it's still early days after that operation ….

I’ve been climbing the walls here, the wife gives me hell if I go and do anything – two weeks of boredom. She didn’t know I went out today until she came home from work. Unfortunately, I’ve got another two weeks still to go :(

Barnowl posted:
…. Hi Footie. Impressive looking bike ….

Thanks. People do tend to comment on the bike. Today, for instance I was taking a short break and a chap I had overtaken caught me up. He stopped and chatted, then he realised it had an electric motor. He said “Hey, that’s’ cheating, you got a bloody great battery”. His next comment was, “It’s a nice looking bike though” :)

------------------------------
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike (Jul07)
fitted with LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Here's the info Eddie:

Footie's bike
wow! that's a nice looking bike!

is it a hybrid? I thought those LiFePo4 battery's were kind of loose...or am I getting mixed up with ping?

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
wow! that's a nice looking bike!

is it a hybrid? I thought those LiFePo4 battery's were kind of loose...or am I getting mixed up with ping?
I fitted the LiFePo4 battery when the bike was only 8 months old as I could only get 8 miles with it over my hilly terrain.
It was a special narrow Ping 10ah battery - its wrapped in bubble wrap inside the original SLA case.
By the way, next month is the batteries first birthday, have to get it a cake - lasted longer than the SLA's :D

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
I fitted the LiFePo4 battery when the bike was only 8 months old as I could only get 8 miles with it over my hilly terrain.
It was a special narrow Ping 10ah battery - its wrapped in bubble wrap inside the original SLA case.
By the way, next month is the batteries first birthday, have to get it a cake - lasted longer than the SLA's :D

...glad to hear the op went well and you're back in the saddle Footie,

i too, bought a Ping 10ah nearly a year ago, great battery.

Onslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2009
I can just about scrape 20miles out of the Carrera on a good day. I find that checking my tyre pressures regularly makes a huge difference.:)

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
Was this an 'endurance test' for you, or for the bike?

My longest trip (without a battery recharge) was 32 miles. That was all on tarmac though. I haven't tried 'off-roading' with the e-bike. (I have a HORSE for that kinda caper. ;) )

I don't care how fast (or slow) I go--just as long as I don't have to pedal, (unassisted), at all.

Gotta hand it to 'em, we may lack style and panache, but the SLA batteries on my Powabyke really DO deliver their maximum range--quite effortlessly.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Furthest distance for my diy ebike is 26 miles. 36V Tongxin hub motor and a 10ah battery pack consisting of 30 D cell NiMh all soldered in series. To be honest i am amazed at how this set up is performing. On my last ride of 25 miles at least half of that was into a very strong headwind, but i was averaging 13-15mph. Just for fun?? i switched off electric assistance to see how i was performing into the same headwind.......9mph!!!!...(and i thought i was quite fit).
I recently fitted some shwalbe marathons tyres which has made a big improvement for reducing rolling resistance.
Although my battery pack voltage starts to fall after 25miles i still believe it has a fair amount of useful power left and it wouldn't surprise me if i could get 30miles out of it.
I have a ride planned for a nice weekend to really test it. Yeovil to Westbay via Beaminster and back. It's 21 miles each way with one huge hill (600ft ascent) to climb. More about that later.
Glad to hear you're back on your bike BTW
Mel

Last edited:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
:D
Was this an 'endurance test' for you, or for the bike?

My longest trip (without a battery recharge) was 32 miles. That was all on tarmac though. I haven't tried 'off-roading' with the e-bike. (I have a HORSE for that kinda caper. ;) )

I don't care how fast (or slow) I go--just as long as I don't have to pedal, (unassisted), at all.

Gotta hand it to 'em, we may lack style and panache, but the SLA batteries on my Powabyke really DO deliver their maximum range--quite effortlessly.
This trip was supposed to be a "get back in the saddle trip" but it did end up an 'endurance test' as you say for both the bike and me. I can't anchor on the left hand brake hard, which is why I thought a nice flat "off road" section would be ok .... I managed to dodge the horses on the trail ok :)
Unfortunately, I failed to consider the bumps and the after effects - its surprising how a few weeks off the bike makes your ass go soft :eek:

The pain is worth it, as its great to be back out on the bike.

PS: All in all, I think 25.5 miles is a very good distance for my bike, even though its not that far. It should be remembered that my MTB style bike is heavy and it also has regeneration in the electric motor, which is supposed to put power back into the battery when freewheeling. Regrettable this gives it a very noticeable drag and its like riding with the brakes partly on.

----------------------------------

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I can just about scrape 20miles out of the Carrera on a good day. I find that checking my tyre pressures regularly makes a huge difference.:)
That's the furthest I've ever heard a carrerra go, electric or non-electric

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I have got 32 miles out of a Powabyke...and i reckon i could have got a bit more if i hadn't used thepower only for a flat section.the route i used included quite a few hills....it was full throttle all the way..

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've managed 40 miles from the Wisper with the throttle full on all the way. In summer there was still battery life left but in Winter it was dead after the 40 miles.