Best Electric Bike Battery Option

David989

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am new to pedelecs and I saw that you help a lot in information sourcing.

I am building an urban ebike and I am trying to pick a decent quality ebike battery.

I was going to purchase from Unit Pack Power but a friend of mine told me about couple of cases which their batteries caught fire. Also I am looking for a branded battery with A Graded cells like LG or Samsung.

The rear hub is 1500W and I need decent Continious Discharge 30-40A.

I have read comments about Greenlance E-Bike battery and Battery Empire but would appreciate any information about them and genuine reviews if anyone bought from them.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi everyone,

I am new to pedelecs and I saw that you help a lot in information sourcing.

I am building an urban ebike and I am trying to pick a decent quality ebike battery.

I was going to purchase from Unit Pack Power but a friend of mine told me about couple of cases which their batteries caught fire. Also I am looking for a branded battery with A Graded cells like LG or Samsung.

The rear hub is 1500W and I need decent Continious Discharge 30-40A.

I have read comments about Greenlance E-Bike battery and Battery Empire but would appreciate any information about them and genuine reviews if anyone bought from them.
For 48v batteries, Greenlance:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
They've a 48V 20AH Samsung Cells 21700 Battery for an unbelievable £280 delivered, amazing, but
-site:greenlance.co.uk "greenlance" review​
finds ads, one Amazon review that's been taken down, "isn't my battery fast" on Youtube and... you here on Pedelecs :oops: This is at least your third prop for them, time to share what you know!

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The link to 5A 'charger How Long Does An Electric Bike Battery Last? Explore Benefits of 5A Fast Charger!' doesn't work...

Surely that cannot be good for any battery pack?

David989

Nov 19, 2023
I found this error too and I have contacted them trough the live chat. They explained that they just updated the page and experience issue with the coding.

I think they are genuine and even purchased Greenlance E-Bike Battery 48V 20AH
https://greenlance.co.uk/collections/samsung-electric-bike-batteries-greenalance/products/electric-bike-battery-48v-20ah-samsung-cells-21700-premium-quality

I used the BlackFriday20 discount and I paid under £310.

This is the best deal i could find on the market (quality based).

I added a 5A charger and I paid some on top for order protection as I don't trust them UPS and DPD drivers.

Will follow up after I receive the battery!

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Surely that cannot be good for any battery pack?

super charging these batts will reduce there life alot same as nuking the things amp wise :p

David989

Nov 19, 2023
I Purchased it to have it as an option.

However I am not going to use it every day, but it is nice to have it as an option when in comes in handy. Plus the Samsung A Graded Cells should last more as said 1500 lifecycles. Reduce this by 20% I think it is still a fair price. I added their led bar bike lights to my order just now as I think the products looks cool and seems very bright.

Will follow up on this too!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you wont get anywhere near 1500 charge cycles esp at that voltage and amps m8 has a bafang had with a 30a controller and 48v batts and there is range loss wit less than 100 charges on it so uses i think 4 now as uses it for work.

still cheaper than a car fkn batt for my bike is £630 and can bus locked mofos :mad:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I have 1500W rear hub and went with 52V pack 17.5AH LG branded Halion...£500 from UK importer...18months old and zero issues so far.

If they are recycling cells you would assume some knowledge/skill so I find it strange they offer a 5A charger.....makes little sense to me, recycle then kick feck out of it at 5A?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
everything is a throw away item these days id drive a electric car like a dragster how far will it go mr dealer :p

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Plus the Samsung A Graded Cells should last more as said 1500 lifecycles. Reduce this by 20% I think it is still a fair price.
Samsung 50E spec
Capacity ≥ 80% of the Rated Discharge Capacity after 500 cycles at Discharge: 1C (4,900mA).

In other words for the pack 19Ah new and at least 15Ah after 500 cycles of supplying 19A in round figures.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Since the beginning of ebike batteries, the recommended charging rate has been 0.2c, which would be 4A for a 20Ah battery. 5A would be 0.25c, which is still pretty close, so it's not going to kill your battery; however, the slower you charge and the lower your discharge rate, the longer it will last. Running at 30 to 40A will shorten the battery's life much quicker than charging at 5A, so go for it if you need to save charging time. At only £300, you can afford to wear out the battery quicker than a £500 one.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
... provided the £300 one also starts out with 500 cycles (to 15Ah). @David989 at those prices if you have a Wh meter a detailed review would make you very popular here :)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I use Shimano EC-E8004 4.6A battery chargers on my Shimano BT8014 11.8Ah batteries, which is therefore 'officially approved', and a charge rate of 0.39.

The marked charge rate only applies in the 'CC' part of the charge cycle, as current is progressively reduced in the 'CV' part.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I charge my inexpensive Amazon bought 19.2Ah battery containing LG MH1 cells, using a basic charger at 2A, and surprisingly it's still working great after almost three years of good use. It's a hard working battery - until a couple of months ago the controller had been limited to 15A, now increased to 18A... this change may usher forward it's demise a bit. In about a year or two, I'll be in the market for a new one. I hope there will be a good quality 36V battery available that uses the same case and mount form factor, that I can buy from a UK seller by then. If not, I'll possibly attempt to buy another of the same from IEBIKE on Amazon, if he has one stocked in the UK.

Last edited:

David989

Nov 19, 2023
I have asked for their battery specification sheet.

They have certified 14S 4S battery pack setup

21700 5000mAhSamsung cells A Graded they provided the certificate. I wouldn't hate on then or doubt their quality as they seem very helpful.

So far I am
impressed.

Attachments

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They have certified 14S 4S battery pack setup
Is there some government body that certifies ebike batteries? :oops: Who certifies their batteries?

Last edited:

David989

Nov 19, 2023
The batteries are manufactured in China so the certificates are fro Waltek licensed Chinese company for producing certificates.

Also they meet all UK certificates which only added to the option for upgrade or buying another battery as I would be able to use the same mounting plate.