Best Electric Bike for range of 30 miles and up

Andy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2007
Hello there - thinking of buying a Lithium or maybe NiMH powered Ebike.

I already have a sort-of-Ebike, it's one of those scooter type things that looks like a moped but as it doesn't have gears and has a large road footprint thought I better upgrade before I venture out of town.

I need it to do at least 30 miles between charges so I can visit my friend who lives in the country and go to night clubs in Bath :) What do you think is the best one? I was looking at the Powacycle Salisbury LPX, but I note that it's got quite a low operating voltage (24v), is there a better bike on the market? What do people think of the Alien brand bikes with front wheel drive? I'd really prefer a 36v bike as it would be compatible with my existing scooteroid thing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You won't get that sort of range from those bikes, with the Salisbury LPX around 25 miles is typical and 30 is at the outer limit if you do quite a lot of work. The Alien won't be very much different. It's best to bear in mind that batteries lose capacity as they age, so the range is on a constant downhill trend. Just enough range in the first couple of months won't be at six months and will be well short at over a year.

The ourstanding 24/26 volt bikes for range potential are those using the latest Panasonic unit like the Kalkhoff Agattu which with easy to give help from the rider can reach 50 miles or even more, and in standard form is unlikely to drop below 30 miles in the first year or two.

In the 36 volt class, the Wisper 905se is the outstanding one due to it's 14 Ah battery, many members easily reaching 40 miles and more.

Giant make the twin battery Twist series which easily do that as well.

All three of these bikes are well over £1000, and there are no long range bikes that I know of in the lower price range. However, many members ride with a spare battery, and since the spare Powacycle battery is moderately priced and light, that would make the Salisbury very suitable and still cheaper, bike £599, spare battery £199, so £798. You could have the Alien as a two battery setup also.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It depends on what you want to achieve with modifying. I don't think these semi-scooters are a good basis for modding if real cycling is what's wanted, they can never be good bikes.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Yes, you would struggle with an alien 36V. I believe it would get around 30 miles with steady rider input in near perfect conditions, but more normal is 25ish and less with lots of hills. It would probably get more restricted but I found that too weak.

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
I would have thought the best option, irrespective of the bike you decide on, is to carry the charger with you as I do when I go on long trips. Friends will always let you use their juice and most traders will if you bung them a few bob and just take the battery into their premises.
As has been stated earlier in this thread there are several makes of bikes that have provision to carry more than one battery in panniers especially designed for the job and the new PowaCycle has a battery stacking system that will achieve the same end.

john c

Jun 30, 2008
30 mile range

Just a point but have you seen the Pro Connect? My Pro is currently doing in excess of 70 miles on one charge.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Just a point but have you seen the Pro Connect? My Pro is currently doing in excess of 70 miles on one charge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

thats fantastic john, and then you turn it on and get way over 100 i bet..:rolleyes: .
no serious i didnt realise they went that far, is that on the flat ?..and how much use of power is that please ?..would that be pedelec mode all the time.. im hoping you see..:)

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
jcebike

jcebike,

From your post No. 6 above I went to your website.

It would appear that your torque sensing crank could give a normal electric motor a similar functionality to the Panasonic motor which is renowned for its efficiency.
Would it be possible to maintain maximum power nearer to the legal limit than the Panasonic?

I have sent you a private message.

Dave

john c

Jun 30, 2008
Pro Connect

My commute to London is 22 miles per day and basically is on the flat. I do keep the power on all the time but on the low setting. Also the bike is modified with a 19 tooth cog as opposed to the 23 tooth cog fitted as standard. I am finding it difficult to actually (kill) the battery so that I can recharge it due to the inbuilt warning light that flashes when the battery is due to die. I have found that the light just keeps flashing and supplying full power for mile upon mile. I personally think that 50 Cycles, who supplied the bike, should include a mallet and wooden stake to drive through its brave little heart!