Best electric bikes under 2000

D

Deleted member 4366

Hydraulic discs are difficult to beat. You get so much precision and control in your braking. I've even fitted them to my £5 clapped out Tesco bike. They're virtually maintenance free. The pads last for ages, and when you do have to replace them, it's a five minute job. I can't see why anyone would want anything else.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's easy for you because you don't bother with brake sensors.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have brake sensors on all my bikes with hydraulic brakes except the Xiongda one. the Xiongda controller stops more or less immediately you stop pedalling, so you don't really need them. I'm just about to install a Magura Bionx hydraulic switch on my latest Rocky Mountain build. My bleeding kit (not swearing) arrived today.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I still haven't got brake sensor on my bike. I do get frightened now and then when the assistance takes time to cut off.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I still haven't got brake sensor on my bike. I do get frightened now and then when the assistance takes time to cut off.
I couldn't live with that, can't you wire a simple kill switch that is easily pressed with your thumb to briefly cut the power?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
may do that this weekend. Only problem is is screw on connector on the BBS01 waterproof cable. I think i'll put some epoxy to keep the wires in place and tape the join with self amagamated tape.

Jazzist

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2014
Makes me wonder.. Hydraulic rim brakes... WHY? Can't save much coin.

Have Avid Juicy 5 IIRC on my MTB, even bleeding them is easy with the kit. Think I've bled them and changed the pads once in years.

BTW don't touch the discs to see how warm they get after a decent stop.. Leaves your fingertips on the disc! ☺

Wonder if I get could get 50 cycles to promise that they won't leave me up **** creek like that guy with the unavailable rims if I were to purchase one of their bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wonder if I get could get 50 cycles to promise that they won't leave me up **** creek like that guy with the unavailable rims if I were to purchase one of their bikes.
It's very unlikely to happen again and was Shimano's fault rather than either Kalkhoff or 50cycles.

In fairness, in at least one case 50cycles did supply a complete new rear wheel with new hub gear, I'm not sure whether it was a 32 or 36 spoke one but i think the latter.

Also I'm quite sure an expert rebuild of the 24 spoke wheel would have proved ok. We've had an e-bike model using 16 spoke front and 20 spoke rear wheels, and one unpowered bike at least with 9 spoke wheels.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hello lads! Sorry for disturbingyou about the brakes :)
I tried the xenion 650 and the xtrem and probably some people don't agree with me but I'm almost sure that I will get the xtrem. The xenion 650 was very smoothie and quite nice but when I tried the xtrem I got that smile because I was having fun with it. Was quite powerful and fast and I liked.
The guy told me is better if I take the battery with me when is outside, is that true?
He also told me that in the latest model of the xtrem bh changed the spokes being now stronger because of the way they are. Any idea about that?
Thanks lads :)

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hello one more time lads!
I've been speaking with the owner of the shop and I can get the bh xtrem for 2350 euros.
He offered me as a special deal the a2b hybrid 24 for 2000 euros.
I tried both of them and for me looks pretty much the same in the way they deliver the power.
However the bh as an extra point (appart of the way it looks) and is the weight, bear in mind that I am 65kg the bh is 22kg and the hybrid 27-29 ( some places tell me one weight in others another)
I didn't find much information about the a2b in this forum and when I asked a time ago people looks like they don't really like it.
I have to think about the weight and decide myself but, could anyone tell me If they had any experience with the a2b or If someone ride in some hills to know how powerful is?
Thanks ;)

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The A2B is a very different bike. Generally people who have them love them. The motor is powerful but it has to be with the extra weight. The range is limited , as it is with the BH Neo Extrem. I'm surprised you thought they were a similar ride.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I really fancied a ktm erace-p, but it cost £2,500 when I was looking last year.

I bought a Trek Mamba 29er with hydraulic discs & Rockshox cx32 forks & fitted an Ezee kit; all for less than £1,500.

I am delighted with the result :)

But - If you feel the A2b hybrid rides similarly to the Bh Extrem, I'd respectfully suggest you should test-ride many more bikes before making a decision.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
I probably didn't explain myself properly.
The a2b had lots of balance and when I was riding it it was very comfy.
The neo xtrem was more "my style" because is a mtb(whichis the kind of bike I've ever had) the forks were quite different and it feel like faster, also less comfy but easier to ride for me because of the weight( it was like a normal bike with the extra power) when I said was the same I was meaning that when I tried first the a2b and then the other day the xtrem and the xenion650 I saw that they way the motor gives the answer was similar, however very different comparing with the xenion with the Bosch system.
With the a2b and the xtrem I felt that when you touch the pedals gives you an extra acceleration but the neo was easier to keep the sped with no prob

Reactions: jackhandy

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
When I was looking at the bh website I found another dealer in Dublin, but they don't have bh anymore, however they do have the cube.
They have the cube reaction pro for 2099 and free lifetime service.( I can get the mudguards,lights and other tyres for same price)
Is a good price and what I know is that is a good bike, however and because of the stock that cube has I can't trial one.
As I tried the xenion650 I think it would be similar but more powerful.
Any opinion about get it for that price without try?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
For me the Cube looks a good bike and seems pretty good value. As you will already have experienced though, the crank drive will feel different to the hub motors you seem to prefer.

Reactions: Frankie24

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
It is true that I did like more the feeling in the hub motor because of the aceleration(that's everything) but maybe when I tried the other one I didn't play enough with the gears, as I used for 1km aprox.
As far as I know I think the crank drive is better for hilly areas, which is something I like, is true I don't live in a hilly area but if I want to go it won't be a problem.
Another thing is the one I tried was the bosch 300 and the cube is 400 and the 2014 model, so maybe is more powerful...

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
It is true that I did like more the feeling in the hub motor because of the aceleration(that's everything) but maybe when I tried the other one I didn't play enough with the gears, as I used for 1km aprox.
As far as I know I think the crank drive is better for hilly areas, which is something I like, is true I don't live in a hilly area but if I want to go it won't be a problem.
Another thing is the one I tried was the bosch 300 and the cube is 400 and the 2014 model, so maybe is more powerful...
The 400 refers to the battery and will increase your range but not effect the power. I believe the Bosch "Active" motor will not be any more powerful. You need the "Performance" motor for additional power.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can say without any hesitation that the BH won't struggle when it comes to hills. Mine puts up with a hell of a lot of abuse in relation to hill climbing, and I've yet to even notice the motor becoming warm.

I'm sure that you should be able to get the price that you have quoted down further as well. Start by asking if the bike is fitted with the 9ah battery or new the 12ah battery. If it's the former*, then start knocking them down. ;)

* It will be the 9ah, but the fact that you have asked the question, might be enough to make them wriggle and budge a bit on the price.

Last edited:

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
The BH Neo Extreme only comes with a 9Ah battery, and brand spanking new versions are called the Extreme Lite, and still only come with a 9Ah battery, so they may well be unwilling to move too much on price.
UK price is 1999 pounds, so if you can get it for less than that equivalent, it's a good price.
The cheapest Neo with a 12 Ah battery (11.6Ah) is the Cross at 2199 pounds sterling.