Best frames for fitting Bafang bbs02 kit

Tabman55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2021
Hi, I’ve been dabbling around looking for frames with the right size dropout for fitting a bafang mid drive 750W and was wondering if there is any bikes out there cheap-medium expensive range which will fit the bafang on perfect and still give me a nice ride, I don’t want a super cheap bike which will feel like it’ll start falling apart every time I go off a curb or go over a rocky path.

also is there any things I should know about when purchasing the bbs02 kit? Like is there anything extra I’ll have to order along side like a torque arm for example (obviously I know a torque arm isn’t right for the mid drive kits)

also is there any better mid drive motors people can recommend? Happy to look around for other good kits that will fit nice, if you have fitted a kit like this please include it in the comments if u can and if u had to have any side work done to get it working properly and so I can see how flush everything goes along with your bike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With any BBS you don't need to worry about the drop outs, it is the BB shell width that is important and whether the chain wheel will miss the rear stay.

Tabman55

Sep 26, 2021
With any BBS you don't need to worry about the drop outs, it is the BB shell width that is important and whether the chain wheel will miss the rear stay.
Ah I see, seems you know your stuff, is there any parts in which I can take note of which would be the best to use when using a bbs02 kit? I don’t wanna keep having troubles and you seem like you would know the important things for doing an installation going smoothly, is there any videos or full sites which u know of that will have a full explanation in to it all so I won’t spend loads of time reading around different sites and just basically reading the same things

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a frame/bike ideally not one that has the brake lines or gear lines that run under the BB other wise they will interfere with the fitment.

Tabman55

Sep 26, 2021
For a frame/bike ideally not one that has the brake lines or gear lines that run under the BB other wise they will interfere with the fitment.
Ah I see, thanks for the advice bud

also I have a carrera hellcat with the dropout a size of 65mm, I’ve noticed the bafang will install to 68-73mm dropouts, is it possible to modify the dropout to a bigger size to fit the motor or would I have to use a different frame? I’ve been looking on a certain bike I’ve seen online but I can’t seem to find the dropout size anywhere online for it so if it was 65mm also I could use the tip to modify it

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As I mentioned it isn't called a drop out, drop outs are where wheels are attached, the Bottom Bracket is retained in a shell so it is called so a bottom bracket shell.

If the shell width is 65mm you can use 33mm Bottom bracket shims/spacers to make up the extra 3mm.

FrodoBaggins

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
Most of the Halfords Carreras seem to route the cables under the bottom bracket.
Despite what people say, I find it is always too tight fit
But building ebikes makes you artist with cables.
Rerouted cables is not that hard, especially that on most old bikes cables need replacing anyway