Help! Best kit for hilly area for 16 stone and incredibly weak leg muscles

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That reply was meant as a tickle for vfr. I've known him for 10 years. So whatever he recommends is usually sensible and practical and I don't have any issue with that.
Re your requirements: I don't have any kit in stock at the moment except BBS01 kits. The next shipment of hub kits is due in 25-October.
I like torque sensors for the ride feel. The TSDZ2 with throttle may suit you but I don't have any left and next shipment would be after Chistmas.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There must be a reason the most expensive ebikes have TS (so I read). The one I tried a few years ago was a fantastic feeling and didn't feel like the bike was slightly running away with me while building up to the pas speed (like the excellent Yose kit I have just got). But then I haven't got a disability in my legs. What have you got against them?
Most expensive bikes have TS because for many users that is the best choice and gives the most natural feel. (It works the other way a little bit too, they are more expensive because they have TS). I don't think any of us suggesting cadence sensor in this case have anything against TS in general.

The running away feel probably comes from having a speed controlled system with cadence sensor rather than a current controlled one. Again, there are pros and cons; but precious few pros for speed sensor I can see other than price.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Okay, I think I am getting a handle on this. I think I need a cadence pas 250w (my wife insists) 48v rear geared hub motor with current controlled 18-20A controller. With throttle and a battery capable of continuos 18-20A of course. Thanks all.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I buy nearly all my stuff outside the UK. Why would anyone have a problem with that?
most people need a bit of help with their first conversion. That may be something as simple as how to fit a split magnet disc. The more important support is afterward, when the kit stops working.
There is only so much a forum like this can help, it's better that everyone can count on an UK organisation for support.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Okay, I think I am getting a handle on this. I think I need a cadence pas 250w (my wife insists) 48v rear geared hub motor with current controlled 18-20A controller. With throttle and a battery capable of continuos 18-20A of course. Thanks all.
That would be enough power for a semi-disabled person. 48v and 17 amps should be enough for a normal unfit person, which puts you in the power handling range of a normal 250w motor. The most important thing is the motor's maximum RPM, which should be no more than 230 RPM at 48v, assuming that you want to set the legal speed of 15.5 mph. 201 rpm is a common max speed from Chinese suppliers. Motors with that speed can max out below 15 mph when the battery runs down, otherwise they'd be perfect.

When it comes to choosing a low-speed motor like that, you're more or less stuck with Chinese suppliers, since most UK suppliers haven't a clue about their motor speeds. Sometimes you can get their motor speeds from users. Most are around 260 rpm.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
most people need a bit of help with their first conversion. That may be something as simple as how to fit a split magnet disc. The more important support is afterward, when the kit stops working.
There is only so much a forum like this can help, it's better that everyone can count on an UK organisation for support.
You bet. Have you got something like this, please (26" wheel)? I was looking on your website at the SWX02 for the motor itself.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
That would be enough power for a semi-disabled person. 48v and 17 amps should be enough for a normal unfit person, which puts you in the power handling range of a normal 250w motor. The most important thing is the motor's maximum RPM, which should be no more than 230 RPM at 48v, assuming that you want to set the legal speed of 15.5 mph. 201 rpm is a common max speed from Chinese suppliers. Motors with that speed can max out below 15 mph when the battery runs down, otherwise they'd be perfect.

When it comes to choosing a low-speed motor like that, you're more or less stuck with Chinese suppliers, since most UK suppliers haven't a clue about their motor speeds. Sometimes you can get their motor speeds from users. Most are around 260 rpm.
Thanks. Yes max speed of the legal limit would be absolutely fine. I keep forgetting about rpm!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's what I was saying earlier about introducing new constraints, like " I don't know anything about electrical stuff", "I don't know how to solder", "I have no tools", etc.

Basically, if they don't have the wherewithal to fit a kit, they shouldn't be messing about with them when you can buy ready-made bikes for nearly the same price. I've never seen a single kit that didn't need some sort of adjustment to get it working properly.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You bet. Have you got something like this, please (26" wheel)? I was looking on your website at the SWX02 for the motor itself.
one of the reasons I don't usually reply to a thread like yours is because I don't sell parts (or spares). We can't know what the part is going to be paired with. I am out of Bafang SWX02 kits until the next shipment arrives.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Basically, if they don't have the wherewithal to fit a kit, they shouldn't be messing about with them when you can buy ready-made bikes for nearly the same price. I've never seen a single kit that didn't need some sort of adjustment to get it working properly
that is way too elitist.
A lot of people only find out that they are quite good with conversions after doing it once.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
one of the reasons I don't usually reply to a thread like yours is because I don't sell parts (or spares). We can't know what the part is going to be paired with. I am out of Bafang SWX02 kits until the next shipment arrives.
That's not what I meant at all. I need all of it from you, I just that I read the controller you pair it with wasn't capable of more than 17A continuous and you say on the batteries 15A, so you would need to base my kit price on the requirements mentioned.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
that is way too elitist.
A lot of people only find out that they are quite good with conversions after doing it once.
I'm not talking about their actual abilities. I'm talking about the defeatist attitudes that some of them have. We even get the ones that come on asking about what kit they can fit, then when everything is sorted, they ask who can fit it

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what's wrong with that? If nobody needs a kit fitter, I will lose my job!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Another thing i forgot to mention. Using a bike with 20" wheels gives you 30% more torque from the same motor in a 26" wheel. You can take any typical 36v 260 rpm motor, put it in a 20" wheel and run it at 48v. You'd only need around 15 amps in that case.

Another option is the Xiongda 2-speed motor, which is pretty cheap. The 48v version is like a winch. When you come to a hill, it automatically changes down into a lower internal gear and winches you up the hill. when you get to the top, it changes back up for normal riding. I ran a couple of these motors over several thousand miles without major issues. They were a bit noisier than normal motors, like something was chattering inside, but that was sorted by putting decent grease in them.

Reactions: Dali

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There must be a reason the most expensive ebikes have TS (so I read).
Yes, an excuse for some brands to over price bikes.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The main issue with hubs is finding on marked 250w, that is where Woosh come in as theirs are now .
Otherwise controller kit wise and peripheral's I only use Kuenteng stuff, simply because they are very good value and reliable with great current control levels. PAS 1 13%, PAS 2 20%, PAS 3 33%, PAS 4 50% & PAS 5 100%.

Reactions: Dali

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
My wife won't go for a 20" wheel and that's a shame as it would have been an easy and cheap solution.

I like the idea of the Xiongda 2-speed motor and can't believe they aren't taking over, but they are only from China that I can find (by that I mean no EU warehouse) and don't say 250w, which seems to be a must for my wife. And as you say, Nealh, Woosh do so that is their biggest selling point for me. I would also have to build the Xiongda into my wife's wheel. I can't see this is particularly difficult as I have fixed buckles on steel wheels before, but it is extra hassle and something else to go wrong. 70Nm, though! But the 48v SWX02 will be going into a 26" so will be plenty I hope. Bike comes Tuesday and I will pre-order from Woosh after that after confirming the kit will fit. (Unless another brainwave hits!)

Woosh, do you happen to know the rpm of the SWX02, please?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
230 RPM