Best kit for Marin Muirwoods 26"

D

Deleted member 4366

Great. It looks a nice kit. 17 amps + 75kg rider = a lot of fun + very good hill-climbing.

Reactions: Abilder

Stephen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2013
I'm still very happy with this bike except that my wife likes it too and has nicked it! I'm now back on my road bike.
To solve the problem I've bought the same kit for her 700c specialized vita. It's been supplied with a 22a max controller instead of 17a like mine. I realise that this will give more torque but at the expense of battery life, but am I right in thinking she can compensate for this by riding in a lower power level than on mine? Or I could just give her my controller

D

Deleted member 4366

The PAS levels are current limits, so you only get the 22 amps on level 5 or with the throttle.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
I'm still very happy with this bike except that my wife likes it too and has nicked it! I'm now back on my road bike.
To solve the problem I've bought the same kit for her 700c specialized vita. It's been supplied with a 22a max controller instead of 17a like mine. I realise that this will give more torque but at the expense of battery life, but am I right in thinking she can compensate for this by riding in a lower power level than on mine? Or I could just give her my controller
What kit did you buy as their website only lists 250 500 and 1000w kits. Is the website out of date?

PeterCo

May 6, 2015
I recently changed my 17yr old Marin Sausalito hybrid to an e bike using a rear wheel kit from electric bike conversions in Stoke on Trent.
I am very happy with it indeed. I bought the 15ah battery ad this gives me a comfortable range. So far I haven't done more than 50 miles in one trip and the display shows two bars remaining then. Since the conversion last month ive done about 500 miles with no issues yet. The handlebar full speed control is a tiny bit out of comfy reach but as ive rarely used it its not an issue. Resetting the trip distance on the display has been awkward on a couple of occasions due to my big fingers mainly.

Attachments

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
I recently changed my 17yr old Marin Sausalito hybrid to an e bike using a rear wheel kit from electric bike conversions in Stoke on Trent.
I am very happy with it indeed. I bought the 15ah battery ad this gives me a comfortable range. So far I haven't done more than 50 miles in one trip and the display shows two bars remaining then. Since the conversion last month ive done about 500 miles with no issues yet. The handlebar full speed control is a tiny bit out of comfy reach but as ive rarely used it its not an issue. Resetting the trip distance on the display has been awkward on a couple of occasions due to my big fingers mainly.
There are 2 companies both called Electric Bike Conversions (EBC) which is a little strange.
Did you buy the 250w kit ? Sound as though it has a good range..

PeterCo

May 6, 2015
Yes, I bought the 250w rear wheel kit. It was a straightforward fit. The battery might appear a bit bulky at first sight but I've got used to it now. I live on the edge of the Lancashire plain and so most of rides are without big climbs. The wind can be a factor though here.
My Marin seems to have a comfy speed of up to 18.5 mph. The gears are the old Nexave Shimano ones but i only very rarely use the full range.
Today was a lovely ride out to Southport with a friend on his Freego. Mine is a lot less effort than his!
The man who sold me the kit from his unit/shop on a trading estate in Stoke on Trent was very knowledgeable and helpful. I was unsure whether it was worthwhile spending quite so much on an old bike or should i spend a lot more on a new e bike. He thought the Marin was basically a good bike and was worth upgrading. The bike cost £600 new 17 years ago. So far he has been correct.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Yes, I bought the 250w rear wheel kit. It was a straightforward fit. The battery might appear a bit bulky at first sight but I've got used to it now. I live on the edge of the Lancashire plain and so most of rides are without big climbs. The wind can be a factor though here.
My Marin seems to have a comfy speed of up to 18.5 mph. The gears are the old Nexave Shimano ones but i only very rarely use the full range.
Today was a lovely ride out to Southport with a friend on his Freego. Mine is a lot less effort than his!
The man who sold me the kit from his unit/shop on a trading estate in Stoke on Trent was very knowledgeable and helpful. I was unsure whether it was worthwhile spending quite so much on an old bike or should i spend a lot more on a new e bike. He thought the Marin was basically a good bike and was worth upgrading. The bike cost £600 new 17 years ago. So far he has been correct.
Did you go for the £449 kit ? I assume you could upgrade your display to a bigger, easier to use one..

PeterCo

May 6, 2015
Yes, but the cost increased from that with the bigger battery option plus the more advanced handlebar display. Still worth it I feel.